What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

The last couple times Florida hired assistant coaches (Zook and Muschamp) they have been disappointing failures.

I'd expect they will shoot for an established head coach again, as that is what has been most successful for them.

They had success with the last Utah coach they hired.

I dunno about the Stoops to Florida stuff. No doubt, UF thinks it can get him, but I'm not convinced he would go. I'm also not convinced OU would let him go. Raiding a coach from OU is a different animal than raiding one from Utah.

There is a long list of reasons for Stoops staying at OU. The reasons for making the move to Florida are few.
Stoops already banks $5M or more, so the pay will be equal at best.
Recruiting is probably a wash. FL has more volume but also more competition from other big name schools.
B12 is easier to win a conference championship.
Stoops has the mega house and kids in school
etc.

If Stoops takes a job at Florida it will be about a personal challenge and/or change of scenery. Not much else I can see.

There is a long list of reasons for Stoops staying at OU. The reasons for making the move to Florida are few.
Recruiting is probably a wash. FL has more volume but also more competition from other big name schools.
etc.

If Stoops takes a job at Florida it will be about a personal challenge and/or change of scenery. Not much else I can see.

Recruiting is definitely not a wash. If you are a good coach at Florida you are in the top 5 of recruiting rankings every year. Just go back and look at Meyer's and Muschamp's recruiting.

Maybe now they do, but when he left, the fan base was pissed beyond all belief they had lost "Boom."
His leaving started the decline and eventual pushing out of Mack Brown.

I think the response at the time was mixed. There seemed to be some very vocal "Boom" supporters who liked him because he yelled a lot and was excitable. Others were less enthused with his complete lack of credentials as a head coach at any level, much less at a big program like TX. You never know with a coach. Stooops when from coordinator to extended success as a HC with a power program. Others have failed. Boom had great success as a DC working with big name coaches. Who knows? So many factors involved. Running a program is not the same as coaching. Maybe some guys really know how to coach but can't manage.

It´s been long established on Allbuffs that Bob Stoops will be the Sooners HC until the day he dies and when he does, his ghost will take over and continue his reign.

(It´s sad that the one person who´d definitely get this inside joke is no longer with us. We miss you, Mark)

I think the response at the time was mixed. There seemed to be some very vocal "Boom" supporters who liked him because he yelled a lot and was excitable. Others were less enthused with his complete lack of credentials as a head coach at any level, much less at a big program like TX. You never know with a coach. Stooops when from coordinator to extended success as a HC with a power program. Others have failed. Boom had great success as a DC working with big name coaches. Who knows? So many factors involved. Running a program is not the same as coaching. Maybe some guys really know how to coach but can't manage.

You live in Austin then? I did. Lived it, loved it, laughed it. It was FAR from mixed.
It was awesome to see the reaction on the face of every sports bar patron when the announcement scrolled across the bottom of the ESPiN screen. The feeling of ultimate betrayal the UT fans had was palpable and I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes at their sadness.

Pissed off Ms. Rack though, bad start to our monthly time away from the chaos of 3 boys under the age of 10.

You live in Austin then? I did. Lived it, loved it, laughed it. It was FAR from mixed.
It was awesome to see the reaction on the face of every sports bar patron when the announcement scrolled across the bottom of the ESPiN screen. The feeling of ultimate betrayal the UT fans had was palpable and I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes at their sadness.

Pissed off Ms. Rack though, bad start to our monthly time away from the chaos of 3 boys under the age of 10.

Manny Diaz's complete incompetence only made it more delicious.

The last couple times Florida hired assistant coaches (Zook and Muschamp) they have been disappointing failures.

I'd expect they will shoot for an established head coach again, as that is what has been most successful for them.

They had success with the last MWC coach they hired.
FIFY

The thing with Sparkles' buyout is that it likely takes the right circumstances for him to be bought out.

Pretend his buyout was only 3 million +/- 500k. How many schools could/would bite that bullet?

Quite a few P5 schools could swing that.

But it's 7.5 not 3.5. Well, what if one of those schools just had their coach bought out? To pull a couple random examples, what if food cart, rich rod, or "this is my dream job" graham, got bought out and hired by Michigan or Florida? Now all at once, Tennessee, Zona & ASU aren't looking at 7.5 mil; they're looking at 7.5 minus whatever the buyout was for their current coach, and that's doable.

Florida could surprise, but I don't think that any school is going to straight up fund Sparkles' buyout right now (and is his agent should be fired for allowing the buyout to be that high), but quite a few schools could and would fund it if they're getting several mil on the back end from a school that has bought out their coach.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/11/16/7229531/will-muschamp-resigned-fired-florida-gators

Muschamp's buyout isn't an issue-He RESIGNED. He was not fired. Big technicality. Florida is not liable for the entirety of his buyout.

Coaches don't walk away from millions of dollars easily. He may have resigned but only after UF told him FU (couldn't pass on that one.) I'm certain they said either resign or we will fire you, lets work out a deal we can both be happy with. Muschamp was holding all the cards financially unless UF had something on him that was both embarassing and a fireable offense.

We will never know but I'm pretty certain that the payoff for Muschamp's letter of resignation was closer to the contract payoff than it was to zero.

FIFY

The thing with Sparkles' buyout is that it likely takes the right circumstances for him to be bought out.

Pretend his buyout was only 3 million +/- 500k. How many schools could/would bite that bullet?

Quite a few P5 schools could swing that.

But it's 7.5 not 3.5. Well, what if one of those schools just had their coach bought out? To pull a couple random examples, what if food cart, rich rod, or "this is my dream job" graham, got bought out and hired by Michigan or Florida? Now all at once, Tennessee, Zona & ASU aren't looking at 7.5 mil; they're looking at 7.5 minus whatever the buyout was for their current coach, and that's doable.

Florida could surprise, but I don't think that any school is going to straight up fund Sparkles' buyout right now (and is his agent should be fired for allowing the buyout to be that high), but quite a few schools could and would fund it if they're getting several mil on the back end from a school that has bought out their coach.

Sparkles knows he's as hot right now as he'll ever be. He's got a tackle in Sambrailo who will be drafted fairly early, and a QB in Grayson who will get drafted. His buyout is not an issue with Florida specifically (I think Michigan will pass-too similar to Brady Hoke for them) for two reasons:

1. Florida and everybody else in the SEC is making $35m OFF THE SEC NETWORK alone.
2. As I said earlier, Muschamp wasn't fired at Florida. He resigned. Florida is off the hook for his $6m buyout. That being said, UF will give him a nice going away present for doing them a solid, but having Muschamp resign when it comes to legalese and contract stuff will save them at least $2-3m I figure, and possibly more if Muschamp wants to coach next year (There will be no shortage of people who would love to have him as their Defensive Coordinator).

Forget Paul Finebaum's list of pie in the sky names.......Florida will hire Sparkles.

etc.

The way the Broncos are going Stoops may wind up taking them over.......

Just an observation: contractual buyouts rarely hold up in toto. If CSU were to hold McSparkles hostage for the whole $7.5MM, he would be the last HC of any skills to go there. If one of the big boys comes calling, CSU will negotiate (as would CU), and get paid something, but no way does ANYBODY pay full boat on that deal. Not gonna happen, for a lot of reasons. Holding a successful HC back when you are CSU, CU, UU etc. makes you an even less attractive place for and up and comer, who is the very type of coach you have to get if you are second (or maybe third) tier.

In other news: Doc Holliday may be UF's huckleberry. Odd since some have theorized Foley the AD wants no part of anyone connected to Suburban Meyer.

Last edited:
Just an observation: contractual buyouts rarely hold up in toto. If CSU were to hold McSparkles hostage for the whole $7.5MM, he would be the last HC of any skills to go there. If one of the big boys comes calling, CSU will negotiate (as would CU), and get paid something, but no way does ANYBODY pay full boat on that deal. Not gonna happen, for a lot of reasons. Holding a successful HC back when you are CSU, CU, UU etc. makes you an even less attractive place for and up and comer, who is the very type of coach you have to get if you are second (or maybe third) tier.

In other news: Doc Holliday may be UF's huckleberry. Odd since some have theorized Foley the AD wants no part of anyone connected to Suburban Meyer.

I dont know. There are people out there that will line up willing to work for millions a season while Sparkles dukes it out in court with CSU. UF is not going to wait if CSU doesn't budge because they have a recruiting cycle to save. Its a contract. You signed it. CSU holds some decent cards in that hand.

I expect he'll be on the opposite sideline from us next fall.

I dont know. There are people out there that will line up willing to work for millions a season while Sparkles dukes it out in court with CSU. UF is not going to wait if CSU doesn't budge because they have a recruiting cycle to save. Its a contract. You signed it. CSU holds some decent cards in that hand.

I expect he'll be on the opposite sideline from us next fall.
While I agree csu has leverage, with all the coach movement, think of how many actually went to court. I can think of three. Tricky Ricky at UW, Leach at TT and Nolan Richardson at Arky. Deals end up getting cut. But in the end you are right, that buyout chases away pretty much everybody but a really big fish.

While I agree csu has leverage, with all the coach movement, think of how many actually went to court. I can think of three. Tricky Ricky at UW, Leach at TT and Nolan Richardson at Arky. Deals end up getting cut. But in the end you are right, that buyout chases away pretty much everybody but a really big fish.

I might think thats how sparkles wanted it. Build a good to better program in an easy to win in conference. Learn how to be a head coach in the process at the program that gave me my first shot. Wait for the really, really big fish that can afford the buyout to come along...

Coaches don't walk away from millions of dollars easily. He may have resigned but only after UF told him FU (couldn't pass on that one.) I'm certain they said either resign or we will fire you, lets work out a deal we can both be happy with. Muschamp was holding all the cards financially unless UF had something on him that was both embarassing and a fireable offense.

We will never know but I'm pretty certain that the payoff for Muschamp's letter of resignation was closer to the contract payoff than it was to zero.

this

getting paid 6.3M to not work
he's doing something right
Typically those payouts are reduced by how much their next football gig pays them, and many times they are contractually required to actually make a good faith effort to seek football employment. (The second part is pretty much worthless, but the first can be important.)

Essentially he's (probably) been guaranteed a floor salary for the next few years where UF will make up the salary difference between his new gig and his old gig (if the new one pays less). So if you had the right situation, but not a truck load of cash, you could pick up a decent coach at a discount...

Article today statest that Muschamp will collect a $6.3 million buyout: http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11892867&src=desktop

Some people got very upset when CU paid out approximately $3 million to each Hawkins and to Embree when they fired them, this is double that.

These numbers may seem like huge amounts of money but with the payouts that schools in the P5 conferences are getting from their media contracts I don't think this kind of figure will be that unusual.

If they are willing to pay that much to get rid of a coach how much are they willing to spend to buy another coach out of his contract? They are likely to go after somebody currently under contract at another P5 school. If they pay just for examples sake $5 million to buy out that contract then that school is less likely to be hindered by a big buyout price for the target they are looking at from a non-P5 school.

Lots of people are looking at McElwains buyout as an obstacle to his leaving. This might instead point to a trend where non-P5 schools start hiring with a condition of a high buyout and use the steppingstone nature of their jobs as a way to generate significant revenue.

CSU would hate to lose McElwain but also would look bad if they became an obstacle to his moving up. They have the $7.5 million buyout on paper but it would be a boost to their finances if they could negotiate a payment of say $5 million to let him go.

I still do not believe Sparkles signed a contract with a $6M buyout without some closet clauses that are not public. Just wouldn't be very bright on his part.

I still do not believe Sparkles signed a contract with a $6M buyout without some closet clauses that are not public. Just wouldn't be very bright on his part.

I mean....well, does this guy look very bright to you?

images

edit: or this guy?

images

Seriously, the google image search for "Jim McElwain" is like a treasure trove of goober pictures

Last edited:
Back