What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CFB News & Notes (National)

You keep saying that, but the point is that this kid graduated, so all responsibilities on both sides should be over.
Why? I have never adhered to that thinking. Kids get 5 years and 4 summers. They should all graduate by end of year 4.

Why does "graduating" have anything to do with it?

I have no problem with the conference limiting where kids can transfer to within the conference.

Why? I have never adhered to that thinking. Kids get 5 years and 4 summers. They should all graduate by end of year 4.

Why does "graduating" have anything to do with it?

I have no problem with the conference limiting where kids can transfer to within the conference.

Their responsibility to the school and the schools responsibility to them is directly tied to a full ride scholarship which results in 1 bachelors degree. At that point the "contractual" obligation between the school and the athlete is over.

Their responsibility to the school and the schools responsibility to them is directly tied to a full ride scholarship which results in 1 bachelors degree. At that point the "contractual" obligation between the school and the athlete is over.
Yes - and he is free to transfer to any school in the country, except another SEC school (unless he were to get a release).

If Colorado was going to lose Tupou to Utah right now, people would be pissed.

Yes - and he is free to transfer to any school in the country, except another SEC school (unless he were to get a release).

If Colorado was going to lose Tupou to Utah right now, people would be pissed.

He graduated. He can do what he wants, regardless of who gets butt hurt about it.

Fans being mad has literally nothing to do with this. And actually more fans are mad about them not letting him transfer than the Alabama fan base.

CFB free agency only benefits the Ohio States, Oregons, Alabamas and such.
They are the ones saving their asses by poaching SR QBs year in and out.

Not if the SEC has a rule against transferring to in-conference schools.
Recruits perhaps should consider that when they commit to Alabama?
What rule? Alabama can grant his release but is choosing not to, purportedly because the kid's best interest is in being at Alabama. I agree, recruits should consider Saban maybe eventually stiffing them before they sign with Alabama.

We just tried to do the same thing... It was about to benefit us. Directly.

If you had the winning lotto numbers you would be rich. CU didn't benefit and you are not rich. I get it that the "lose close = a win" for a number of CU fans but your example does not work.

If you had the winning lotto numbers you would be rich. CU didn't benefit and you are not rich. I get it that the "lose close = a win" for a number of CU fans but your example does not work.
you are missing the point and bringing up bull**** again.

You completely missed the point I was making.

Then please explain your point.

Holic seemed irritated with the mercenary attitude at the top schools in regards to grabbing senior transfers. CU was operating with the same mercenary attitude and was hunting down senior transfers. Just because we didn't land Webb doesn't mean we weren't hunting just like everyone else.

You can be irritated with the senior transfer market being a thing in college football, but no one should pretend that CU isn't playing the same game as everyone else.

Holic seemed irritated with the mercenary attitude at the top schools in regards to grabbing senior transfers. CU was operating with the same mercenary attitude and was hunting down senior transfers. Just because we didn't land Webb doesn't mean we weren't hunting just like everyone else.

You can be irritated with the senior transfer market being a thing in college football, but no one should pretend that CU isn't playing the same game as everyone else.
And Webb went to Cal, it's not like he went to some big time program like Bama, OSU or Michigan.

If the rules are fair or not is an entirely different discussion. Some people think players should be able to transfer anytime during their eligibility, others never.

Fact is that the rules are set up the way they are. A kid who graduates and still has eligibility can transfer to a different school as long as his original school does not offer the graduate program that he is choosing to enroll in. The SEC has further restricted it by giving schools the ability to withhold release to another SEC school.

It may sound unfair but those rules were in place when the kids signed their LOIs. Kids are also blind if they don't see certain schools twisting other rules to their advantage. A number of SEC schools have be notorious for oversigning then finding "ways" to make the numbers work even if it means a kid ends up scrambling to find a scholly at the last minute. They promise an opportunity to get a degree but then find ways to "cut" kids who aren't performing as well as they think someone else would.

Change the rules to require a guaranteed 4 years and quickly in the SEC (and at some other schools in the country) we will see a huge increase in medical retirements and/or kids who aren't cutting it on the field flunking out to void their schollys.

It should come as no surprise that Saban is involved with something like this, I'd be surprised if he wasn't. The kid loved him when Saban was telling him how he would be a star at Bama, now he is finding out what that means. Not fair, not nice, but how it is.

Got it. Thank you.

I agree that CU is playing the game, as you explained, and I am thankful they finally are again. Tieing your hand behind your back and then being righteous about it is convenient when you lose and a formula to continue losing. I would love to see CU win and see board posts by Buff fans justifying the legal behaviour of the team rather than what we get today.

I retitled this one and pinned the other one. Hopefully we can keep national news and CU camp new separate.

He was released with their blessing.

Would he have had their blessing if he had wanted to go to a division rival that was a QB short of being the favorite to win the division?

It's all a question of perspective. For aTm losing Webb to a CU or a Cal removed a potentially messy QB situation and neither school was likely to have any impact on the aTm season.

There was no "blessing" with Davis Webb, he graduated.

He did, but he could have stayed and while they won't say it they didn't mind him leaving as long as he didn't go someplace where he could come back to hurt them. Again if he had wanted to transfer to an SEC team where he could have helped that team beat aTm would they have given him the release. SEC rules say they could choose not to.

He did, but he could have stayed and while they won't say it they didn't mind him leaving as long as he didn't go someplace where he could come back to hurt them. Again if he had wanted to transfer to an SEC team where he could have helped that team beat aTm would they have given him the release. SEC rules say they could choose not to.
Webb transferred from TTU. SEC not involved.

Again if he had wanted to transfer to an SEC team where he could have helped that team beat aTm would they have given him the release. SEC rules say they could choose not to.

He played at Tech, not aTm. Doesn't affect your argument, but yeah.

The NCAA and these schools make millions off the college athlete, to reward these athletes when they graduate with being able to leave a program for a situation that is better for them is a very small price to pay. If the school that has the best situation, or has their favorite former coach, happens to be in their conference, it shouldn't make a difference. I also disagree that somehow this grad transfer rule only benefits the top programs, as I think they have plenty of 2nd and 3rd string guys that would be important to their 2 or 3 deep that end up transferring.

He played at Tech, not aTm. Doesn't affect your argument, but yeah.

The NCAA and these schools make millions off the college athlete, to reward these athletes when they graduate with being able to leave a program for a situation that is better for them is a very small price to pay. If the school that has the best situation, or has their favorite former coach, happens to be in their conference, it shouldn't make a difference. I also disagree that somehow this grad transfer rule only benefits the top programs, as I think they have plenty of 2nd and 3rd string guys that would be important to their 2 or 3 deep that end up transferring.

You are correct about TTU, brain fart on my part.

I also agree that the grad transfer should be automatic for the kids. If they have given a school enough time to graduate then they have fulfilled their fair end of the deal. To me it isn't much different than a kid leaving early to go into the draft, he has performed well enough for that school to get the NFL interested.

It is also not hard to see the SEC having the rule they have just as a number of conferences require a two year gap for transferring undergrad within the conference.

Point is that the kid who wants to go to UGA knew who he was signing with when he submitted his LOI. It should be no shock to him that they are using the rules against him to their advantage.

Would he have had their blessing if he had wanted to go to a division rival that was a QB short of being the favorite to win the division?

It's all a question of perspective. For aTm losing Webb to a CU or a Cal removed a potentially messy QB situation and neither school was likely to have any impact on the aTm season.
My point exactly. Nor should they have to release them to their foe just because he graduated.

Back