What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CFB News & Notes (National)

Meyer is not worried about recruiting great citizens. That is the main difference.

I would also say Meyer's blueprint at UF and OSU are blueprints to competing for National Championships every year. Slightly different blueprint compared to what is/was needed at CU.

Right. Just saying they are two completely different coaches.
Yeah I just found the article interesting reading about some of the things the best coach, IMO, in the country does to develop his team's mentality. I heard him speak at a work conference and it was also cool hearing how he really believes in the 10/80/10 buy-in philosophy.

Yeah I just found the article interesting reading about some of the things the best coach, IMO, in the country does to develop his team's mentality. I heard him speak at a work conference and it was also cool hearing how he really believes in the 10/80/10 buy-in philosophy.

Great coach no doubt. Does not tend to handle adversity well, but probably does not matter at his current gig.

Yes, it all starts and ends with recruiting. Did you read the article, though?
Just did, have read similar versions about Meyer and his time at Florida. As duff said he recruits bad ass dudes who aren't afraid to go after coaches as well. He was always rumored to have the most competitive practices in the country at Florida but the family atmosphere thing seems a little off. There were quite a few factions on his teams at Florida and he even enticed them to go after each other from time to time.

Best part about Meyer is he is able to recruit great players and great coaches. He probably has the best coaching tree in college football but for some reason he gets those hires right, sometimes too much where they move on too quickly. Herman seems very similar in that regard, he put together a great staff down there for his first head coaching job.

Great coach no doubt. Does not tend to handle adversity well, but probably does not matter at his current gig.
Don't you think the adversity thing has less to do with him and more to do with the culture and kids he recruits? Super competitive environments like that are great when things are working but when they aren't, things are going to break apart easily. Like zeke going crazy to the media last year and blaming the coaches after the MSU loss.

Meyer is not worried about recruiting great citizens. That is the main difference.
enhanced-buzz-6793-1377195031-12.jpg

I think Meyer is better than anyone else in the country at developing a killer instinct in his teams which, IMO, is more responsible for his success than anything else. Like his combative mat drills which teach his players to tap into a primal mindset, the attitude his players have makes a real difference on the field and can change the success a team has extremely quickly. It's the old philosophy of "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..." Meyer is very adept at growing the fight in his dogs.

I think Meyer is better than anyone else in the country at developing a killer instinct in his teams which, IMO, is more responsible for his success than anything else. Like his combative mat drills which teach his players to tap into a primal mindset, the attitude his players have makes a real difference on the field and can change the success a team has extremely quickly. It's the old philosophy of "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..." Meyer is very adept at growing the fight in his dogs.
enhanced-buzz-6793-1377195031-12.jpg

Copied from Pate's post.

Also interesting to follow, Cowherd and Clay Travis both said on his show yesterday they are thinking/hearing this could be Saban's last year because he doesn't want to end up like Mack Brown or Bobby Bowden. As Urban Meyer can tell you, once you start losing those coordinators like he has, it is hard to stay at the top.

Also interesting to follow, Cowherd and Clay Travis both said on his show yesterday they are thinking/hearing this could be Saban's last year because he doesn't want to end up like Mack Brown or Bobby Bowden. As Urban Meyer can tell you, once you start losing those coordinators like he has, it is hard to stay at the top.
Back to the NFL for Saban? It's the only thing left for him to accomplish as a football coach.

I could see that, I guess. He doesn't seem to be the most charismatic guy, but he'd have his choice of jobs/networks. I'm all for anything that sends Bama back to the rest of the pack, though.
I always liked his commentary when Bama wasn't in the championship so I could definitely see him doing that. Probably just wants to spend more time with friends and family, if he wins another championship this year why in the hell would be come back again?

I always liked his commentary when Bama wasn't in the championship so I could definitely see him doing that. Probably just wants to spend more time with friends and family, if he wins another championship this year why in the hell would be come back again?
Because coaches love to coach. They are constantly on the move, discussing strategy, personnel, practice schedule, preparing, etc. and when their 80+ weeks suddenly drop to 0 hour weeks, they don't know what to do with themselves. It's like Peyton Manning trying everything in his power to continue to play, even though nobody wants him and he physically can't do it anymore.

Because coaches love to coach. They are constantly on the move, discussing strategy, personnel, practice schedule, preparing, etc. and when their 80+ weeks suddenly drop to 0 hour weeks, they don't know what to do with themselves. It's like Peyton Manning trying everything in his power to continue to play, even though nobody wants him and he physically can't do it anymore.

Though, when older coaches hit a wall, the product on the field plummets quickly.

Think:
Spurrier at USC
O'Leary at UCF
Brown at Texas
etc

Though, when older coaches hit a wall, the product on the field plummets quickly.

Think:
Spurrier at USC
O'Leary at UCF
Brown at Texas
etc
True. But I think it depends on whether or not said coach adapts to changing times in both the recruiting game and the strategy of the game itself.

I know they love to coach I just think it's different with Saban because there is nothing for him to do other than the NFL and it can only get worse. This is supposedly coming from his mouth that he doesn't want to wait too long and see his performance fall off like the others J.R. mentioned.

Yes, it all starts and ends with recruiting. Did you read the article, though?
The phrase I hear over and over from people in Houston, regarding Herman, is "relentless salesman." This is from people who interact with NCAA and NFL coaches all the time. They say that he's the best salesmen they've ever met. If that translates to the next level, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't, he'd be scary at a place like Texas, Ohio State, etc.

The phrase I hear over and over from people in Houston, regarding Herman, is "relentless salesman." This is from people who interact with NCAA and NFL coaches all the time. They say that he's the best salesmen they've ever met. If that translates to the next level, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't, he'd be scary at a place like Texas, Ohio State, etc.
Just waiting for the perfect situation to open up and look out at whatever program that is

Supposedly just as good as a x and o's guy too. A lot of reporters say he is the brightest football mind they have encountered.

Maybe someone Chev will contact? Johnson had high interest in TTU before choosing hometown LSU.

Back