What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CFB News & Notes (National)

Yeah, I think the NCAA should restrict the kids even more, good idea. Why should they be able to chose where they want to go to school or where they want to play?

My point exactly. Nor should they have to release them to their foe just because he graduated.

So even though they put in 3-4 years of work in to graduate, sometimes early, to put themselves in a better situation, they shouldn't be able to go where they want? The NCAA and these programs take and take, and you think after putting in all that work to graduate that allowing a kid to choose where he goes is somehow inexcusable? I understand that they should be held accountable to stay at an institution until graduation as that is what they committed to, but after that, it shouldn't matter. I know it is seldom the case where kids actually use this rule for the main reason of getting a masters degree that their university doesn't offer, but for the ones that actually do, why take away the ability for these kids to get a master's degree for free by playing football? A lot can change in a program in 4 years, and a lot can change for a kid when he is 17 years old to when he is 22 years old. I think this new rule is one of the better ones the NCAA has made in a long time (lord knows there aren't many good choices they make), and it is win win because it is incentive to actually put work into their education, and can put them in a better situation if they don't like the one they are in after 3-4 years.

So even though they put in 3-4 years of work in to graduate, sometimes early, to put themselves in a better situation, they shouldn't be able to go where they want? The NCAA and these programs take and take, and you think after putting in all that work to graduate that allowing a kid to choose where he goes is somehow inexcusable? I understand that they should be held accountable to stay at an institution until graduation as that is what they committed to, but after that, it shouldn't matter. I know it is seldom the case where kids actually use this rule for the main reason of getting a masters degree that their university doesn't offer, but for the ones that actually do, why take away the ability for these kids to get a master's degree for free by playing football? A lot can change in a program in 4 years, and a lot can change for a kid when he is 17 years old to when he is 22 years old. I think this new rule is one of the better ones the NCAA has made in a long time (lord knows there aren't many good choices they make), and it is win win because it is incentive to actually put work into their education, and can put them in a better situation if they don't like the one they are in after 3-4 years.

That's where I'm at. If after 3 or 4 years at a place (5 if there was a medical waiver), if a place can't provide an opportunity and culture that makes the guy want to stay there as a graduate student, then tough ****. The university does not own these players.

I would favor a number of changes in favor of the kids but I don't think it is unreasonable to say no you can't go to our competitor and use what we have taught you beat us. If it is about the academics try to show me a masters program that only one other football college in the nation has. Restricting movement within a conference is certainly reasonable when other options exist.

I would give kids an automatic release if the HC that recruited them is no longer there at the start of training camp their freshman season. I would give kids an automatic release if their school is subject to penalties for substantial recruiting violations and absolutely if their is reasonable cause to believe that the school has done something morally or legally wrong like Baylor, Penn State, or Miami. I would also give kids an automatic release if they can show a legitimate hardship such as an immediate family member suffering what will be an extended medical crisis.

I don't look at it as take and take, the kids also get a lot in return. No they aren't getting paid like pros but if they are good enough the school will help develop them to get there and if they aren't the good schools will still provide them an opportunity to get an education and some great experiences. Nobody is forcing these kids to take the scholly and play football. Plenty of athletes forgo college sports and find other ways to make their education happen.

Do we want hiring coaches to come down to "how many Seniors you got that could fill big holes for us next year that would come with you"? "Hey QB coach, we really need a QB. Can you bring your SR with you next year and we'll double your salary! "

But he knows what's best, at least that's his line to the mom:
“The university is continuing to be resistant to any request to release my son. That’s where we are,” Samyra Smith said. “In (Saban’s) mind, the best decision is for him to stay here. And he doesn’t think anything other than that is best for the kid.”
What's to prevent the kid from transferring to one school, and then to Georgia?

In all seriousness, the kid graduated. If Saban didn't want this to happen, he shouldn't have redshirted him.

I really wouldn't mind if there was a conference rule. There should be. But I really don't like the idea of a HC having unilateral control over where a graduated former player is allowed to transfer.

To me, it should be simple. No grad transfers within the conference or to an opponent on that season's schedule as a conference policy.

I really wouldn't mind if there was a conference rule. There should be. But I really don't like the idea of a HC having unilateral control over where a graduated former player is allowed to transfer.

To me, it should be simple. No grad transfers within the conference or to an opponent on that season's schedule as a conference policy.
I am quite comfortable with this approach.

Nebraska and Georgia fans have been throwing a hissy fit on Twitter because the Olympics hijacked their hashtags. #UGA is the hashtag for the Ugandan team and #GBR for team Great Britain.

I feel their pain. Dealing with #GoBuffs from West Texas U and a few high schools grinds my gears bad enough. :LOL:

I feel their pain. Dealing with #GoBuffs from West Texas U and a few high schools grinds my gears bad enough. :LOL:

East Carolina fans deal with this every summer as Ecuador has one of the better soccer teams in South America.

Lost their top six WRs from last year and now a 4* who was a star on the scout team while he was a RS. Same article has Webb throwing a pick 6 in practice.

I would have liked to have him in here to see what he can do but don't forget that he left TTU because he got beat out. This could turn out less than what he and others expected it to be for him.
and two in a week? whats going on there?

Very sad day for Arizona and the entire Pac-12 community. Just awful news.

Very sad indeed and I cannot imagine what the family is going thru. RIP and karma to the family and all who knew him

I can't imagine. Thoughts and prayers for his parents, entire family, and all who care about him.

Honest question: is MM's blueprint anything like Meyer's or Herman's?
No idea. Not sure it can be to a T anyways. CU was/is a very, very different animal when MM took over than what Urban took over at Florida and OSU and what Herman took over at Houston.

Urbans blueprint is almost 100% recruiting based. It's why he chose Florida over notre dame, he thought he could recruit better athletes and he was right.

Watching Hard Knocks and Goff doesn't know which direction the sun rises. How about that Cal degree?

The sun rises in the direction is revolves around the earth. It's just not that hard.

Yes. Cal was my fall back school to Metro State. I was too smart for Cal. (y)

Back