What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CU News & Notes (Buff Stuff)

One interesting moment of the buffs being buffs. They were 1's v 1's from the 40 with under 2 on the clock and no timeouts. They were slowly moving the chains and had a short pass over the middle stopped short of the first down with 30 seconds on the clock. They offense was trying to set up to clock the ball and subs started coming in from the sideline. Ended up finally getting a snap with 4 seconds left costing them a chance at one or two extra plays. Same horrible end of game BS that has cost us games over the years. Mac LOST HIS ****. Started throwing his visor and screaming at the O coaches. Not a good look.

Not a good look. Started 2 years ago. Happens. Especially when your job is on the line. I gotta say, I believe it is.

So all the predictions of going to a bowl game are based on defenseive and special teams excellence?
No. Based on a more efficient offense that limits turnovers and scores more than they did a year ago. Like I said earlier... A 2014-esque offense of scoring 27-30 pts/game, coupled with above average defensive and special teams play is absolutely a reasonable formula for 6 wins.

It was good to be out at Folsom today. Gorgeous weather and got a little taste of Buff football.

Frankly, I couldn't tell nearly as much from today as I could from going to an open practice.

Tried to watch the trenches more today. Looks like Lynott is winning the job at RG and we've still got a position battle at RT between Krnoshage & Haigler. There's depth. Lisella played well today, from what I saw.

I wasn't real impressed with the RBs. Lindsay and Lee are solid, though. And they both look very good as outlet receivers, which can help a lot. Thinking back to Sefo's sophomore year, that outlet passing to RBs was a big factor in his completion % and the low sack total. Need to go back to more of that and I believe they can each make some plays. Where this offense bogs down is when they have to max protect with only 2 or 3 guys out in pass patterns.

QB play was somewhat interesting. Montez looked really good. I think he's still locking onto receivers a bit, as young QBs do. Very pretty and effortless deep ball. Dude can make every throw. Noyer throws a nice ball with some zip on it. Good size for a frosh, too. Gehrke looked like he had a rough day.

Ento and Julmisse caught long TD passes. Keeney and Ross did a little work underneath. JMac had a very good day.

Defensive line looks really deep. Leavitt's going to have a lot of effective options here. My suspicion is that the coaches aren't feeling the same sense of urgency to bring in multiple JUCO guys for the front 3 any more because of how the youth is developing. I think they'll look more for pass rushers and filling in the depth holes in the secondary.

Shaver getting more reps at OLB. He's been a guy in search of a position, going from DE as a frosh to ILB as a soph to OLB this year. He's been a good special teams guy and did look like he had a nose for the football when he was thrown out there at ILB last year. He's got an opportunity with Falo out the first 3 weeks and we need him to step up. Gamboa is looking sharp at ILB.

With the DBs, I don't think there's a lot of depth. Fisher and Laguda look pretty good. Blackmon & Udoffia are raw at CB. But, man, that starting 5 looks nasty. Spoon was killing it out there. Oliver is going to be a superstar. Olugbode already is one. Tedric and Moeller are an excellent safety tandem.

Special teams, Diego looks like a different guy. His ball is getting up quickly with a ton of power behind it and it's going dead straight without any hook to it. Something has changed with mechanics, because it's just a different ball than last year. Fingers crosses, but he looks fantastic. I don't remember any punt team work, so nothing to say on Kinney.

One interesting moment of the buffs being buffs. They were 1's v 1's from the 40 with under 2 on the clock and no timeouts. They were slowly moving the chains and had a short pass over the middle stopped short of the first down with 30 seconds on the clock. They offense was trying to set up to clock the ball and subs started coming in from the sideline. Ended up finally getting a snap with 4 seconds left costing them a chance at one or two extra plays. Same horrible end of game BS that has cost us games over the years. Mac LOST HIS ****. Started throwing his visor and screaming at the O coaches. Not a good look.

What happened was that Kyle Evans didn't think he was down by contact, so he ran 30 yards to the end zone and had to come back to the huddle. Cost about 15 seconds with him trying to get back. That's who Mac was screaming at. Evans seemed to be playing pretty well overall, though.

My observation was that he was reacting directly to Dino (I think) who was tackled, got up and ran the 20 or so yards to the end zone... wasting a lot of time.

Coach was pissed at the player losing his understanding of the situation.

I call that a good look and a point coaches need to drive home!

Sounds like it (successful season & MM's job) will all come down to Sefo.

By most anecdotal accounts here on AB:
1) Defense is improved in all areas, DL, LB, DB. Tupou, Gillam back. Suspended players back. Top P12 performers back. JUCO additions. May be edge pass-rush has remained stagnant.
2) ST should be improved. Addition by subtraction at coach plus Diego is better.
3) OL is better by Irwin coming back at LT, returning starters at LG and C & TE, Lynott beating out the co-starters from last year at RG. May be that we take a step back at RT trying to replace Nembot. Depth much better.
4) Offensive play calling and scheme much much better, per most if not all AB posters, with the addition of Chiv.
5) WR should be same or better. Addition of Winfree, Huntley, Julmisse , Ento should make up for loss of Spruce.
6) RB a push. Loss of Carr & Powell not meaningful. Addition of a 4*. Adkins may possibly be healthy but if not, no big deal as Donovan Lee should step up to utilize the carries that went to Powell, Adkins & Carr last year.

Seems like it all comes down to Sefo at the single most important position on any football team.

The failure of MM to bring in a better QB by year 4 may cost him his job.

4) Offensive play calling and scheme much much better, per most if not all AB posters, with the addition of Chiv.

Seems like it all comes down to Sefo at the single most important position on any football team.

Whoa Nellie. #4 doesn't seem all that accurate. The O looked vanilla. Design. As in just like last year As in just like the lindgrening offense. Tried to go faster and did kinda. Hard to judge the play calling rhythm and planned scenarios even though it was supposed to be mostly situational.
(Now admittedly there weren't 50 bubble screens)

The O does not look like anything from Texas.

Must be saving it (I hope so) for the games that count.

Last edited:
My observation was that he was reacting directly to Dino (I think) who was tackled, got up and ran the 20 or so yards to the end zone... wasting a lot of time.

Coach was pissed at the player losing his understanding of the situation.

I call that a good look and a point coaches need to drive home!

Yes there was a player in the vicinity, could have been both of them. He was looking directly at the coaches.

It was Evans. MacIntyre yelled "Evans!". I actually kind of chuckled and said I hope that Evans realizes it is a good sign for him as a walk-on that he's doing enough to warrant the head coach paying attention to him to the point of getting on his ass like that. :D

1) Defense is improved in all areas, DL, LB, DB. Tupou, Gillam back. Suspended players back. Top P12 performers back. JUCO additions. May be edge pass-rush has remained stagnant.
2) ST should be improved. Addition by subtraction at coach plus Diego is better.
3) OL is better by Irwin coming back at LT, returning starters at LG and C & TE, Lynott beating out the co-starters from last year at RG. May be that we take a step back at RT trying to replace Nembot. Depth much better.
5) WR should be same or better. Addition of Winfree, Huntley, Julmisse , Ento should make up for loss of Spruce.
6) RB a push. Loss of Carr & Powell not meaningful. Addition of a 4*. Adkins may possibly be healthy but if not, no big deal as Donovan Lee should step up to utilize the carries that went to Powell, Adkins & Carr last year.

What was significantly different today regarding scheme and play calling?

What was significantly different today regarding scheme and play calling?

Very vanilla on both sides. Leavitt didn't even play Gilbert, McCartney or Gillam so there wasn't the normal blitzing and the best pass rushers weren't in. On offense, I think they only showed 2 or 3 running plays and seemed to repeat the same pass routes a lot. Looked like they just wanted to get some live hitting in without giving anything away to whomever may be watching.

It was Evans. MacIntyre yelled "Evans!". I actually kind of chuckled and said I hope that Evans realizes it is a good sign for him as a walk-on that he's doing enough to warrant the head coach paying attention to him to the point of getting on his ass like that. :D

Isn't Lindgrens middle name Evans:rolleyes:

It was good to be out at Folsom today. Gorgeous weather and got a little taste of Buff football.

Frankly, I couldn't tell nearly as much from today as I could from going to an open practice.

Tried to watch the trenches more today. Looks like Lynott is winning the job at RG and we've still got a position battle at RT between Krnoshage & Haigler. There's depth. Lisella played well today, from what I saw.

I wasn't real impressed with the RBs. Lindsay and Lee are solid, though. And they both look very good as outlet receivers, which can help a lot. Thinking back to Sefo's sophomore year, that outlet passing to RBs was a big factor in his completion % and the low sack total. Need to go back to more of that and I believe they can each make some plays. Where this offense bogs down is when they have to max protect with only 2 or 3 guys out in pass patterns.

QB play was somewhat interesting. Montez looked really good. I think he's still locking onto receivers a bit, as young QBs do. Very pretty and effortless deep ball. Dude can make every throw. Noyer throws a nice ball with some zip on it. Good size for a frosh, too. Gehrke looked like he had a rough day.

Ento and Julmisse caught long TD passes. Keeney and Ross did a little work underneath. JMac had a very good day.

Defensive line looks really deep. Leavitt's going to have a lot of effective options here. My suspicion is that the coaches aren't feeling the same sense of urgency to bring in multiple JUCO guys for the front 3 any more because of how the youth is developing. I think they'll look more for pass rushers and filling in the depth holes in the secondary.

Shaver getting more reps at OLB. He's been a guy in search of a position, going from DE as a frosh to ILB as a soph to OLB this year. He's been a good special teams guy and did look like he had a nose for the football when he was thrown out there at ILB last year. He's got an opportunity with Falo out the first 3 weeks and we need him to step up. Gamboa is looking sharp at ILB.

With the DBs, I don't think there's a lot of depth. Fisher and Laguda look pretty good. Blackmon & Udoffia are raw at CB. But, man, that starting 5 looks nasty. Spoon was killing it out there. Oliver is going to be a superstar. Olugbode already is one. Tedric and Moeller are an excellent safety tandem.

Special teams, Diego looks like a different guy. His ball is getting up quickly with a ton of power behind it and it's going dead straight without any hook to it. Something has changed with mechanics, because it's just a different ball than last year. Fingers crosses, but he looks fantastic. I don't remember any punt team work, so nothing to say on Kinney.
Good report. FYI Lisella didn't play. not sure who you were confusing him with.

Last edited:
Good report. FYI Lisella didn't play. Maybe you were watching Miller? His knee still is hurting I think.

Hmmm. It was hard to read numbers with the way the practice jerseys bunch up. Maybe Huckins then? I was thinking that I hadn't seen him today, so that might be it.

Hmmm. It was hard to read numbers with the way the practice jerseys bunch up. Maybe Huckins then? I was thinking that I hadn't seen him today, so that might be it.
I feel ya. Miller didn't play either and I thought he was in from my angle so it was definitely hard to tell.

Is it too optimistic to think Winfree is a beast and they want CSU to walk in to the RMS without any idea about what is in store for them?
Doubtful, but there have been good reports about him and he was walking around fine so I wouldn't be worried.

Doubtful, but there have been good reports about him and he was walking around fine so I wouldn't be worried.
That thought crossed my mind too but I agree with onealcd. He was a full participant in the pre-scrimmage drills today. Just a bit odd he took his pads off, changed into shorts, and wasn't really even an active observer on the side-line. Gillam, by contrast, didn't participate in the scrimmage either as noted but stayed in pads and helmet on the side-line.

Bobo got chewed out after one goal line play. The play was to the back corner, but he adjusted the route to the sideline. When he saw where Montez threw it he almost stopped. The DB chased the ball, but it landed incomplete. MikeMac kicked him off the field and chewed him out all the way to the sideline.

There is a lot more to being an effective WR than being a physical specimen. Let's give them a chance to excel in live action. If Huntley can make reads and run routes like JayMac we got something (huge). Lot to ask of a true freshman.

Reactions: Oly
Back