What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Offseason Realignment Thread (because Duff loves this ****)

So perhaps we add four Mexican schools and four Canadian schools? That would mean two 10 school divisions. Just add the four Mexican to the South and four Canadian to the North and call it a day.

I'm curious if the TV money is going to pretty much dry up at this point. Would like to see some of these conferences embrace 'new' media more. Strike a deal with Amazon or Netflix or whatever it may be.

The big question. Will Disney allow ESPN to drive contract prices up even further than it did the last round? If they dont expect ESPN to circle the wagons around the SEC and ACC and leaving the rest of the country to Fox and CBS (and maybe NBC) to fight over.

Houston is more and more an obvious choice for the conference to add as they are good again in Basketball as well. Was actually pulling for them in that Michigan game, bummer that freshman made that shot. Seems like they have the commitment, the population obviously, the TV Market, and they are currently pretty good in both major sports.
Time to offer up, and then consider going after UNLV as the partner school. We can pair up with Houston, so we can always play a game every other year in Texas and recruit our asses off. Utah can have UNLV.

Last edited:
I don't see the appeal of Houston at all. I don't think a bunch of Texans are going to start watching the PACN for UH, who regularly draws 30k or less, when they can be watching Texas/ A&M/ Tech/ Baylor/ TCU/ OU in the Big XII and SEC.

I don't see the appeal of Houston at all. I don't think a bunch of Texans are going to start watching the PACN for UH, who regularly draws 30k or less, when they can be watching Texas/ A&M/ Tech/ Baylor/ TCU/ OU in the Big XII and SEC.
And you would have said the same thing about TCU before it joined the Big 12. A school with a much lesser athletics history, lower academic prestige, and is not the 3rd largest public university in the state of Texas (yep, Houston is bigger than Texas Tech).

Yeah, but that's what they are saying about CSU before they get their inevitable invite to the Big 12. Rams are a sleeping giant.

In all seriousness, I think Houston makes sense only if you also land Tulane. Natural travel partners, and you could argue it doesn't leave Houston on an island.

Yeah, but that's what they are saying about CSU before they get their inevitable invite to the Big 12. Rams are a sleeping giant.

In all seriousness, I think Houston makes sense only if you also land Tulane. Natural travel partners, and you could argue it doesn't leave Houston on an island.
I think the move with Houston is to go with another Texas school by poaching the Big 12. I don't think we want SMU.

If it's a short-term move, the one that likely makes the most sense for name recognition and nationally relevant games is Houston + BYU. If BYU can't happen because of politics over "peer institutions needing to be focused on graduate research and Tier 1", that really limits the Pac-12. New Mexico would fit. Tulane, as you mentioned, fits (and are also an AAU member). UNLV could fit after 2020 when the new Carnegie ratings come out. CSU fits. It's slim pickings on that criteria.

I think that most Texas and Oklahoma schools have too much pride to get drawn into the PAC 12.

I thought I read somewhere that UNT was one of the bigger universities in Texas now.
Maybe. But I know that UTSA actually has the Alamo Bowl along with a market share within San Antonio that's only 2nd to UT among Texas schools. North Texas can't say that. It's way back in the Dallas market. Also, I'd thought that 2 schools that are in the UT system would be more likely to move together from a political standpoint.

I think that most Texas and Oklahoma schools have too much pride to get drawn into the PAC 12.

I think Oklahoma would give it a serious look. They have been putting significant effort and $$$ into raising their academic status. The idea of being connected to a conference with the academic prestige of the PAC12 would appeal to them (and their ability to stick it to the Texas boosters.) The knowledge that they would athletically be near the top of the conference in financial resources and would be able to consistently compete at the top of the conference in revenue sports would interest them as well.

The source to that MWC-16 can't be anymore legit: https://president.nmsu.edu/activity-report-march-3-march-9/

While at the WAC Basketball Tournament, I met with the Presidents and Athletic Directors of the WAC schools to discuss business as well as the challenges facing the Conference regarding membership. The WAC is initiating an aggressive membership campaign. Commissioner Jeff Hurd said “something was going to happen and happen soon” regarding conference alignments and realignments. One rumor was the Mountain West would become a 16-member conference with two-8 member divisions. NMSU could come into play as a new member, along with UTEP. Another uncertainty facing athletics is the ongoing investigation of NCAA basketball violations. There is also a special committee analyzing the “transfer” issue in collegiate basketball.

The Heritage Farm is now off and running with the planting of the Mark Salopek Pecan Tree Gateway Orchard. For this season, the remainder of the farm will be planted in alfalfa. We are awaiting a design from our plant science folks on how we will display all of the great NMSU plant and irrigation research, which hopefully can be in place for next season. Some talk now of a “pop up winery” near the hotel which would be used for special occasions and receptions. The “pop up winery” would be constructed from shipping containers, which are inexpensive but very durable.

I appreciate the participation of the faculty, students, and staff in the deliberations regarding the recommendations of the Special Regents Athletics Committee. Shared governance is a very important feature of Universities. It is important to be heard!

The source to that MWC-16 can't be anymore legit: https://president.nmsu.edu/activity-report-march-3-march-9/

While at the WAC Basketball Tournament, I met with the Presidents and Athletic Directors of the WAC schools to discuss business as well as the challenges facing the Conference regarding membership. The WAC is initiating an aggressive membership campaign. Commissioner Jeff Hurd said “something was going to happen and happen soon” regarding conference alignments and realignments. One rumor was the Mountain West would become a 16-member conference with two-8 member divisions. NMSU could come into play as a new member, along with UTEP. Another uncertainty facing athletics is the ongoing investigation of NCAA basketball violations. There is also a special committee analyzing the “transfer” issue in collegiate basketball.

The Heritage Farm is now off and running with the planting of the Mark Salopek Pecan Tree Gateway Orchard. For this season, the remainder of the farm will be planted in alfalfa. We are awaiting a design from our plant science folks on how we will display all of the great NMSU plant and irrigation research, which hopefully can be in place for next season. Some talk now of a “pop up winery” near the hotel which would be used for special occasions and receptions. The “pop up winery” would be constructed from shipping containers, which are inexpensive but very durable.

I appreciate the participation of the faculty, students, and staff in the deliberations regarding the recommendations of the Special Regents Athletics Committee. Shared governance is a very important feature of Universities. It is important to be heard!

I think that 2nd paragraph is the key to this whole realignment thing for anyone who is dialed enough to crack the code. ;)

I think that 2nd paragraph is the key to this whole realignment thing for anyone who is dialed enough to crack the code. ;)
So, NM State is planting alfalfa. Hmmmmmm. I wonder if they also have pumpkins? Cue space alien music.

I think the move with Houston is to go with another Texas school by poaching the Big 12. I don't think we want SMU.

If it's a short-term move, the one that likely makes the most sense for name recognition and nationally relevant games is Houston + BYU. If BYU can't happen because of politics over "peer institutions needing to be focused on graduate research and Tier 1", that really limits the Pac-12. New Mexico would fit. Tulane, as you mentioned, fits (and are also an AAU member). UNLV could fit after 2020 when the new Carnegie ratings come out. CSU fits. It's slim pickings on that criteria.
For me, I really hope we don’t expand, and if we did I’d hope we get some collection of UNM, BYU, or BSU. I completely realize that one and possibly two of those are almost assuredly never going to happen, but those are the only options that feel like cultural fits to me. The PAC, as is, is the most sensible/ regionally intact conference left (the Big XII would be if it weren’t for WVU). And to me, that’s the core of what makes college football meaningful. I don’t give a damn at all for these bloated conferences that bring together schools with no relevant history or shared cultural/ regional identity so that schools earn more money while seeing some teams from the other division once every five years.

And you would have said the same thing about TCU before it joined the Big 12. A school with a much lesser athletics history, lower academic prestige, and is not the 3rd largest public university in the state of Texas (yep, Houston is bigger than Texas Tech).
Sure I would. And no conference besides the Big XII would have ever invited TCU up in the ranks. They’re a decent addition for the XII- they filled a gap and kept the conference Texas-centric - but they have awful attendance and don’t bring any “market” that OU and Texas don’t already. They’re a filler, not a great catch. And UH academics are even worse, and they’ve had less football success the past two dozen years, and they’re an insane outlier for the PAC whereas TCU fit Big XII geography perfectly. So to be honest not only is that an unconvincing arguement to me, but it’s also a really poor comparison.

It’s fine if you like UH, I just deeply disagree on the idea.

For me, I really hope we don’t expand, and if we did I’d hope we get some collection of UNM, BYU, or BSU. I completely realize that one and possibly two of those are almost assuredly never going to happen, but those are the only options that feel like cultural fits to me. The PAC, as is, is the most sensible/ regionally intact conference left (the Big XII would be if it weren’t for WVU). And to me, that’s the core of what makes college football meaningful. I don’t give a damn at all for these bloated conferences that bring together schools with no relevant history or shared cultural/ regional identity so that schools earn more money while seeing some teams from the other division once every five years.
I'd add UNLV to that list and agree with you.

Although it wouldn't move the needle on revenue, a future Pac-16 that added BYU, Boise State, UNLV and New Mexico would be truly representative of the Mountain-Pacific region of this country and had strong historical ties. I doubt it would ever happen, though.

I've got a really easy way to bolster our profile without expanding, and I hit on it in another thread. Talk to BYU about a similar arrangement to the one Notre Dame has with the ACC in terms of scheduling. They play 2-4 Pac 12 teams a year, so giving them a couple more games against our league wouldn't be too big a hassle. They'd also have access to our bowl tie ins in years they are not in the playoff, which can do nothing but bolster the contracts we already have. In return, we get access to more air on the four letter network, as BYU has a contract with ESPN themselves.

Back