What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020-21 MBB Season

PAC MAN

Tekken Masher.
Club Member
Is anyone feeling confident that there will be a conference only schedule in January?

Zero confidence, especially with who our conference commissioner is. Football unionized and he ran, wouldn't be shocked if it was something similar in bball.

Unless there's a bubble, I don't see anyone playing.

With the schools/conferences/NCAA trying to desperately hang on to the "amateurism" label, I don't see a bubble.
I don't really see anyone playing either. It'll be down South, if anybody does so.

I think it's likely. the NCAA's SVP of basketball really stuck his neck out promising a tourney in March. with them cancelling sports until January, conference only play is the only realistic way to still deliver a championship tourney three months later.

"We’ll be flexible. We’ll be nimble and we’ll deliver what the country is desperately looking for again and that’s just an incredible March Madness tournament in 2021,"

link

I think it's likely. the NCAA's SVP of basketball really stuck his neck out promising a tourney in March. with them cancelling sports until January, conference only play is the only realistic way to still deliver a championship tourney three months later.

"We’ll be flexible. We’ll be nimble and we’ll deliver what the country is desperately looking for again and that’s just an incredible March Madness tournament in 2021,"

link

They'll figure a way to make it happen. Coach K at Duke basically said the NCAA doesn't have a choice. Something like 90+% of their revenue is from the tourney. They can't afford to miss 2 in a row.

I hope (and think you might) see people get creative with "bubbles" along the way. Throw 6 teams in a bubble and have them round robin over 4 or 5 days, wait a couple weeks and do it again. It won't be perfect because you can't have a quarantine period at the beginning of each bubble. Add in a "positive test and your out" rule for each bubble like the TBT had.

Assuming the SalivaDirect test is mass produced by then (or something as cheap and quick) you can have daily testing for players in the bubble.

I know everyone is focused on football, but I spent yesterday hiking with a Duke alum and talking hoops, which led me google a bit.

this is from four days ago, apologies if old news to some.

The NCAA is considering four potential start dates for the 2020-21 men's and women's college basketball seasons, sources told CBS Sports, with two dates having gained the most traction leading into significant voting decisions in the coming week.

Nov. 25 and Dec. 4 are at this point considered the preferred dates. One source indicated to CBS Sports that Nov. 25 has a slight edge over Dec. 4.

also, chatter in the ACC about a potential bubble, likely in the Raleigh area, for men's and women's hoops. Have five arenas (four ACC schools + Greensboro) that can be used within two hours of each other (six within three hours if the Charlotte NBA team opens up there's as well). Some schools' practice facilities could potentially also be used.

I know everyone is focused on football, but I spent yesterday hiking with a Duke alum and talking hoops, which led me google a bit.

this is from four days ago, apologies if old news to some.

also, chatter in the ACC about a potential bubble, likely in the Raleigh area, for men's and women's hoops. Have five arenas (four ACC schools + Greensboro) that can be used within two hours of each other (six within three hours if the Charlotte NBA team opens up there's as well). Some schools' practice facilities could potentially also be used.
you could easily do a bubble of sorts here ...you have the Events Center, Budweiser Center, FirstBank Center, Pepsi Center and Magness

Went to start a fire tonight with the snow still falling. Newspaper I picked up was a spring Sports page from the before time. Buffs were #20 in the headlines. Made me happy and sad all at the same time.

I've never been an advocate of expanding the tournament let alone letting everyone in, but depending on how this upcoming season goes it might make some sense

I've never been an advocate of expanding the tournament let alone letting everyone in, but depending on how this upcoming season goes it might make some sense

It all depends on where the virus is though. If it isn't fully under control (which is hard to imagine) I think the NCAA wants to bubble. It's incredibly difficult and expensive to bubble 64 teams in multiple locations. Almost impossible to bubble more.

It all depends on where the virus is though. If it isn't fully under control (which is hard to imagine) I think the NCAA wants to bubble. It's incredibly difficult and expensive to bubble 64 teams in multiple locations. Almost impossible to bubble more.

I am guessing we will see a bunch of mini bubbles. This would require there be availability of a rapid, daily testing for everyone involved.

I would think it would look something like 6 teams enter the bubble on Wednesday, verify all test negative, then play Thursday - Sunday, then head back to their schools via private transportation. So basically almost a weekly/bi-weekly tournament.

Problem with this, is even if the tests are available and relatively cheap, it will still be prohibitively expensive, particularly for smaller schools with smaller budgets. Luckily Basketball teams/staff are much smaller than football.

NCAA will be able to learn a ton and model off the NBA playoffs. I don't see a reason to not have a good plan for the conference & NCAA tourneys. It will happen.

Maybe this will be the year for our first national championship! I will take it even if it comes with an *

Four "bubbles" at the regional sites has to be the way they'd do that don't you think?

Maybe this will be the year for our first national championship! I will take it even if it comes with an *
Well, everybody else who's gonna to play will have to under the same conditions. I don't think it deserves an *. I get what you're saying though.

Probably advantageous this season for veteran teams with established coaches/culture. I like CU's chances , especially since we've also got a vet star as our floor general.

Probably advantageous this season for veteran teams with established coaches/culture. I like CU's chances , especially since we've also got a vet star as our floor general.

I agree with you, but seems we say almost the same thing every year (minus CU's chances)

I'm interested to see a 2 PG lineup with Barthelemy.

Mixing it up so Kin can play off ball to post up against man, save his legs by not bringing it up every possession, better team ball handling to break pressure, etc. could take this team to another level.

I'm interested to see a 2 PG lineup with Barthelemy.

Mixing it up so Kin can play off ball to post up against man, save his legs by not bringing it up every possession, better team ball handling to break pressure, etc. could take this team to another level.
So. so. interested. It's been a long time since we had two real ball handlers on the court at the same time.

yeah, a little confused how this is going to work for us, like does the ncaa or p12 get to say we can play? And what about the early season tourneys we were scheduled for? Also tired of people blaming it squarely on politics. It obviously involves some (or a lot), but the rest of the world is also doing limited/controlled sports so it's not like so crazy to be very cautious. Blaming it entirely on politics is super US-centric.

I don't get the justification for a different NCAA tournament. With football good to go this fall (at least somewhat), seems we should be able to have a normal(ish) hoops season.

I don't get the justification for a different NCAA tournament. With football good to go this fall (at least somewhat), seems we should be able to have a normal(ish) hoops season.

Agree. Should be much easier to swap teams out for other teams if teams have COVID-19 outbreaks.

Going to be curious to see what the schedule will be like.

minor in the grand scheme of things, but it just occurred to me that Covid's probably going fûck up the regional semi and final games in Denver this coming season.

Back