What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

this had to happen this way, given how all this rolled out. the cynics say it was all about money and liability. i think that is a narrow view, but undoubtedly key to the decision. more broadly, the spectacle of university presidents at tier 1 academic universities ignoring the medical advice and facts in order to reap billions in revenue from the labors of unpaid young student athletes is a bit much to ask. it violates the mission of these universities fundamentally.

now, my new favorite question: does the ncaa grant immediate eligibility transfers to players who want to go play in the $ec?
Too late to transfer for this season. Plus cancelling due to a pandemic doesn't seem to be a unique hardship that would warrant a waiver.

@Buffalumni is right. This is all about liability, and that's nothing more than a fancy way of saying its all about money. That's what I've been saying. If those concerns weren't there, it'd be full steam ahead. Hopefully the other three conferences do this as well.

Last edited:
I think it is really only a matter of time before the ACC, B12 and SEC follow suit. They’re all talking a big game now, but when push comes to shove, nobody wants to be the conference that had a kid get killed or permanently disabled from this.

And yes, I totally get the hypocrisy - kids who play football get killed and have permanent disabilities all the time. The difference here is that Covid isn’t a part of the game.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about this paper

I think the primary criticism he's probably hinting at is that the study is not of college aged COVID patients.

He also seems to be hinting that other viruses can cause myocardiial inflammation.

No matter what he's intending to argue; he's falsely characterizing the cancellation decision as solely being based on that paper. Additionally, if he's not directly citing the study and doesn't lay out his argument, it's a pretty good indication it's a haphazardly formed argument.
For sure. If finely tuned athletes are contracting a cardiovascular condition as a result of C-19 with unstudied long term health effects, it doesn’t seem wise to indicate that we should press ahead with more infections.

i hope we hear who was on which side of the play v. don't play debate in the b12.

I find it funny that last week college football was money hungry assholes who don’t compensate those who take all the risk. But this week they’re deeply concerned institutions willing to put the students safety ahead of profits.

and some of you believe that 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

L-I-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y

giphy.gif

@Buffalumni is right. This is all about liability. If those concerns weren't there, it'd be full steam ahead. Hopefully the other three conferences do this as well.
We already know that University presidents don’t actually care about athletes. Their billion dollar goose goes away without the facade of amateurism.

They’ve had time to address liability. It was an issue I wrote about in this thread 30-40 pages ago. The schools chose not to address protocols to eliminate their liability until now. Now we get a likely cancelled season.

BTW, the $EC and ACC should tread lightly with this idea that they’re going to play. One outbreak would spell doom and mega gajillion dollar lawsuits, especially now that other conferences aren’t playing.

We already know that University presidents don’t actually care about athletes. Their billion dollar goose goes away without the facade of amateurism.

They’ve had time to address liability. It was an issue I wrote about in this thread 30-40 pages ago. The schools chose not to address protocols to eliminate their liability until now. Now we get a likely cancelled season.

BTW, the $EC and ACC should tread lightly with this idea that they’re going to play. One outbreak would spell doom and mega gajillion dollar lawsuits, especially now that other conferences aren’t playing.

You and I know that-but there are still posters on here who don't get that. Look at the conversation around Larry wanting to turn the Pac 12 into the Spring Football league du jour for 2021 even with everyone else trying to play in the fall.

Looks like the Big 12 will be next to make their decision:

If you read the tweet updates, it mentions that the ACC looks like it's in lock-step with the Big 12 just like the Pac-12 has been in lock-step with the Big Ten. If the Big 12 cancels, the ACC will probably cancel as well.

Frankly, I hope the SEC goes forward (and Big 12). Then I hope the players opt out. There's a lot more going on here than fat ass fans wanting to tailgate when they aren't watching NASCAR.

I for one have pretty much lost all interest. I opted out of the fall season tickets and asked for my money back already. Basketball ain't happening this fall either.

I look for college sports to return in fall 2021. Risks are too high until the vast majority have been vaccinated, and that's a year away I think.

Spot on. Make no mistake, if they try to play, they will be lucky to make it through week one of the season before there is at least one major outbreak on a team. Sharing a locker room and spending hours with their faces inches from each other on the field make this inevitable.

Back