What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I didn't watch but apparently Larry Scott was pushed by someone as to if he is pushing for an expanded playoff and the reporter basically told him it would make sense if he was (Pac playing fewer games, left out of past 3 playoffs). Larry Scott just gave diplomatic answers and said that the Pac will be eligible for the conversation. I think a big name Athletic reporter but I'm forgetting who it was from the podcast I listened to.

Not that I expected any different but Larry Scott should be yelling from the rooftops that the playoff should be expanded this year. I don't think he likes to be the squeaky wheel but this is the year that you can be the squeaky wheel and have reasoning other than our teams aren't good enough to be in the top 4.

If you want to expand the playoff, you definitely don’t do it through the media. That will just piss off the other conferences.

Wilner and others come out and say CU was one of the biggest advocates for a season, and that UCLA and Stanford were also in favor, and this fringe blog site says the exact opposite? Also makes claim that Utah to the Big 12 and SC independent? Yeah, not buying it

Both stories can be true. KD and RG, I do believe have been pushing hard for a 10/31 (or earlier start) and they’re on record saying that they’re ready to go. Unfortunately, they do not attend, nor do they vote at the CEO meeting. That’s Dickstefano or the jackass that couldn’t run a small school in North Dakota.

Seems like a dumb article lol insiders have said UCLA was the one school that did not want to play and then their blog site comes out saying a bunch of other schools didn’t want to play either? It’s also impossible for Utah to just leave the conference for a year

Unnecessary (late-night) Legal Analysis:

As to being legally overbroad, my lawfirm and I have been working on analyzing these new regulations. It’s wonderfully complicated, and frankly no one has set forth a solid basis for going after them yet. I’ve read a bunch of crappy attempts.

Under every Constitutional doctrine, Equal Protection, Procedural/Substantive Due Process, Contract Clause, Takings, etc., these sorts of “regulations” (viewed as within the “police powers”) are only subject to “rational basis” review by the courts: highly deferential. In other words, is the regulation rationally based at solving a harm or protecting a class of people?
In some of these cases, there may be a separation/abuse of powers argument, as it is not a law or regulation passed the legislature but an edict from a part of the executive branch; hard to find that perfect fact pattern, though.

I have yet to find a case on point that provides a doctrine or standard to clearly overturn any of them, except attempts to stay certain actions by the judicial branch, which have been mostly abandoned on their own eventually.

This is a fascinating new area of law, because it draws on some of our oldest law, which has become ripe again so quickly. Everyday a different lawfirm is filing a different approach to attack these regulations.
Many of the regulations seem reasonable and appropriate, but not all, obviously. The strange part is our current inability to separate the good from the bad pursuant to any Constitutional doctrines, either federal or state.

Some Judge will take a flyer, no doubt. I don’t see it making it past the first appellate step, though.

End of unnecessary evening brain dump. Thank you for your time and (hopefully) you just skipped this post.

Thanks for the insight. I concur with your thoughts. State power over health, safety and welfare is very broad and it is a 14 day order, which I'm not sure will even get litigated in time. I'm sure someone will take a flyer at it. I think that the problem/solution is probably political, not necessarily legal. I am a bit shocked at Boulder's sweeping order, as compared to other places in Colorado, but that is what Boulder does. Although Polis cannot wipe it away, I am surprised that he is anywhere on board with it given that CU is the state's flagship university. I think on college football, pretty much the CA, WA and OR governors said we're making a go, so make it happen.

It is amazing that Boulder is sounding such an alarm and going to such lengths when the County has less cases and deaths than six other counties, including Weld or Larimer. I think countywide, there have only been about 10 deaths in the last 90-120 days. Although I concur with posters concerns about future medical complications, even taking those into account, I don't see the need for something so drastic. Denver is even taking an incremental approach. The order just seems like taking a sledge hammer to a circuit board (Boulder would probably say they are setting the example), when other options would probably do pretty well in stemming the virus. Gatherings of 2 or 4, so kids could at least go out for food... Permitting those kids who need to work to continue working. Permitting football when all of CU peers are plowing ahead. Just really shocked they did not try something incremental, especially since the healthcare system is not overwhelmed.

I live in the eastern part of the county and throughout the pandemic the City of Boulder has been much more scared and stressed about the virus from day 1. It is not just the politicians, but also the residents. There is a stark contrast when you shop at a grocery store in the City, as compared to the stores in Superior, Louisville or Lafayette.

What's the over/under on the number of games that CU ends up playing this season.

I'm going to say three.

With the experts saying the virus is going to start ramping up when it gets closer to November. There is NO way that this team plays seven games.
Over. You taking action?

Sorry but using Sweden as a model for not taking steps to control the virus is an utter fail.

No they didn't do the level of official mandates as other countries did but they did issue advisories and unlike those who are too scientifically illiterate or simply the sheep following the Trump flock the people listened.

If you were to go to Sweden (and they wouldn't let you in coming from the US) you would find that they have virtually 100% compliance with the prohibitions on large group gatherings (that for us would mean no football by the way.) They also have very close to 100% mask compliance and the people are very conscious of social distancing and of maintaining quarantine when they have any reason to suspect infections.

In short they have a highly homogeneous population which is both educated and socially compliant with the norms presented by the government and the experts.

And by the way their own health experts have stated that the pursuit of "herd immunity" was an abject failure and that had they known what they know now they would have been much more restrictive from the start.

I will repeat again so you can ignore it again but at least it is out there. Repeating something often enough in the Trump echo chamber does not make it scientifically valid. Only science and the scientific method can make a scientific statement valid.

Sweden currently is lower in C-19 impact than some of their neighbors but no it has zero to do with so called "herd immunity." If we could get the anti-maskers and others who are trying to make this about their political cult to comply like the Swedes are doing then our infection rates would be much lower as well.

Thanks for the insight. I concur with your thoughts. State power over health, safety and welfare is very broad and it is a 14 day order, which I'm not sure will even get litigated in time. I'm sure someone will take a flyer at it. I think that the problem/solution is probably political, not necessarily legal. I am a bit shocked at Boulder's sweeping order, as compared to other places in Colorado, but that is what Boulder does. Although Polis cannot wipe it away, I am surprised that he is anywhere on board with it given that CU is the state's flagship university. I think on college football, pretty much the CA, WA and OR governors said we're making a go, so make it happen.

It is amazing that Boulder is sounding such an alarm and going to such lengths when the County has less cases and deaths than six other counties, including Weld or Larimer. I think countywide, there have only been about 10 deaths in the last 90-120 days. Although I concur with posters concerns about future medical complications, even taking those into account, I don't see the need for something so drastic. Denver is even taking an incremental approach. The order just seems like taking a sledge hammer to a circuit board (Boulder would probably say they are setting the example), when other options would probably do pretty well in stemming the virus. Gatherings of 2 or 4, so kids could at least go out for food... Permitting those kids who need to work to continue working. Permitting football when all of CU peers are plowing ahead. Just really shocked they did not try something incremental, especially since the healthcare system is not overwhelmed.

I live in the eastern part of the county and throughout the pandemic the City of Boulder has been much more scared and stressed about the virus from day 1. It is not just the politicians, but also the residents. There is a stark contrast when you shop at a grocery store in the City, as compared to the stores in Superior, Louisville or Lafayette.
*fewer

Sorry but using Sweden as a model for not taking steps to control the virus is an utter fail.

No they didn't do the level of official mandates as other countries did but they did issue advisories and unlike those who are too scientifically illiterate or simply the sheep following the Trump flock the people listened.

If you were to go to Sweden (and they wouldn't let you in coming from the US) you would find that they have virtually 100% compliance with the prohibitions on large group gatherings (that for us would mean no football by the way.) They also have very close to 100% mask compliance and the people are very conscious of social distancing and of maintaining quarantine when they have any reason to suspect infections.

In short they have a highly homogeneous population which is both educated and socially compliant with the norms presented by the government and the experts.

And by the way their own health experts have stated that the pursuit of "herd immunity" was an abject failure and that had they known what they know now they would have been much more restrictive from the start.

I will repeat again so you can ignore it again but at least it is out there. Repeating something often enough in the Trump echo chamber does not make it scientifically valid. Only science and the scientific method can make a scientific statement valid.

Sweden currently is lower in C-19 impact than some of their neighbors but no it has zero to do with so called "herd immunity." If we could get the anti-maskers and others who are trying to make this about their political cult to comply like the Swedes are doing then our infection rates would be much lower as well.
Sweden does not wear masks, and people are allowed to gather in groups of up to 500. Something else is at play in Sweden's numbers, most likely the other things you touched on; mainly they trusted their people to do what was right, and they reduced their social contacts and gatherings voluntarily. Very strong sense of the collective in Scandinavian countries.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-sweden-bucks-trend-masks.html

Edit: tried to post gif of epic dunk.

Epic fail on my part.
jR0Vry.gif

Everyone: “This play calling is so predictable. Where are the TEs??”

Me (probably): “Just wait until conference play. There will be new wrinkles and parts of the playbook Chev doesn’t want to show early on”
Throw beyond the sticks on 3rd down, is it that effin' hard?

Sweden does not wear masks, and people are allowed to gather in groups of up to 500. Something else is at play in Sweden's numbers, most likely the other things you touched on; mainly they trusted their people to do what was right, and they reduced their social contacts and gatherings voluntarily. Very strong sense of the collective in Scandinavian countries.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-sweden-bucks-trend-masks.html
Actually group size is fifty and while the government did not require or even strongly recommend masks they are common even without the government recommendation.

It also banned gatherings of more than 50 people and told people over 70 and in at-risk groups to self-isolate.

Otherwise, the population of 10 million was asked, rather than ordered, to respect physical distancing and work from home if possible, which it largely did. Shops, bars, restaurants and gyms stayed open and the wearing of masks has not so far been recommended

A high percentage of their population has stayed home and those that go out tend to behave in ways that do not lead to large spreader events.

Even with this their overall record has not been what they hoped it would be.

The approach came under fire at home and abroad earlier this year as the number of deaths soared. At 574, Sweden’s coronavirus toll per million inhabitants is more than five times higher than Denmark’s and 10 times that of Norway and Finland, but lower than some countries that imposed lockdowns, such as the UK, Spain and Italy.

Again I would attribute the success they have had to demographics of the population and the social norms that they follow.

Everyone: “This play calling is so predictable. Where are the TEs??”

Me (probably): “Just wait until conference play. There will be new wrinkles and parts of the playbook Chev doesn’t want to show early on”
Just wait till KD gets his players in the system and we will be firing on all cylinders. We need patience!

Apologies if I missed it, but has there been a credible update on how CU is going to practice and train (e.g. granted a legal exemption to the BoCo PHO, find a way to get the team to a facility outside of the county)? or are not going to have practice for the next two weeks while the rest of the conference plans for a 07 Nov conference game?

Back