What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

CTE represents a much higher risk for CFB players than COVID. If they are not willing to accept the minimal additional risk playing this year you probably should just quit playing altogether...
View attachment 38609
You're a funny sort. You make a claim and then post some graphs (2015-19 vs 2020) that have nothing to do with it. Where's the comparison of COVID-19 deaths to CTE deaths?

CTE represents a much higher risk for CFB players than COVID. If they are not willing to accept the minimal additional risk playing this year you probably should just quit playing altogether...
View attachment 38609

So it’s only a problem if the person dies? And we’re just gonna completely disregard that we know very little about the long term consequences an infection may have? And the liability issues the schools may well run into if the long term effects of a COVID prevent a professional career or give the person lasting damage are just irrelevant?

Playing football is risky for your health - the BU study reported 86% of the CFB brains showed signs of CTE. Many Buffs including Salaam, Wahlroos, Miller etc are unfortunate examples.

Now look at excess deaths this year for those under 25 compared to the the previous 4 yrs (there isn’t a difference). The additional risk of playing this year is very small in comparison to the overall risk of playing in general. If you are worried about Covid you should be scared ****less about CTE. Math is hard.

Playing football is risky for your health - the BU study reported 86% of the CFB brains showed signs of CTE. Many Buffs including Salaam, Wahlroos, Miller etc are unfortunate examples.

Now look at excess deaths this year for those under 25 compared to the the previous 4 yrs (there isn’t a difference). The additional risk of playing this year is very small in comparison to the overall risk of playing in general. If you are worried about Covid you should be scared ****less about CTE. Math is hard.

Why do you only care about the deaths and not the long term health effects and the liability issues?

This is scary. I'm going to stop going to football games so I don't contract CTE.

Apparently, understanding infection vectors is harder than math.

More from Barton Simmons

As a country we have failed miserably with our testing and contact tracing procedures and protocols, but we finally have institutions that can do that for thousands of people, and decision makers are choosing to send the kids and staffs home instead where none of that exists. It doesn’t make much sense.

I can appreciate the viewpoint, but throwing out figures like 99% of players want to play as fact is not the way to make the argument. He cannot possibly know the real percentage.
I don’t really care about the want to play, specifically, but more about health officials deeming it too dangerous when, in fact, thousands of people will actually be safer from contracting and spreading the virus by a season happening opposed to not.

The data outweigh the fear in this decision. Money is the only thing standing in the way of a prudent P5 decision. But that decision is looming.

Typical of very one-dimensional thinking. Let's see how many players (especially from disadvantaged backgrounds) leave the athletic bubble on campus, go home and get COVID and give it a to host of family members, a true danger. Let's see how any AD employees permanently lose jobs leading to widespread hardship, financial pain and suffering which may lead to other health problems.

Typical of very one-dimensional thinking. Let's see how many players (especially from disadvantaged backgrounds) leave the athletic bubble on campus, go home and get COVID and give it a to host of family members, a true danger. Let's see how any AD employees permanently lose jobs leading to widespread hardship, financial pain and suffering which may lead to other health problems.

You are consistently inconsistent on whether Covid is a real threat.

Ok, but there is no chance they are monitored, tested and quarantined in the same capacity. No games, less training, less responsibility, more time, more partying.

If the schools want to make it safe, they can make it safe. None of what you are proposing is prevented even if the season is postponed.

Why do you seem to think this is all about preventing deaths? Yes, the disease can kill, and yes these kids are in a a group very unlikely to die from it. However, there's already been long term lung issues associated with carriers who were asymptomatic. Eduardo Rodriguez, of the Red Sox, developed a heart condition as a result of Covid.

Not to mention the fact that social distancing and masks and the quarantine were in large part about not overwhelming hospitals.

As a country we have failed miserably with our testing and contact tracing procedures and protocols, but we finally have institutions that can do that for thousands of people, and decision makers are choosing to send the kids and staffs home instead where none of that exists. It doesn’t make much sense.

Right now it's a big story every time football players test positive but will that still be a story when the season is cancelled and they get the virus at home? Highly doubtful.

Granted there's an argument to be made as the USC president did comparing the spread on a college campus to that of a cruise ship. While a bit extreme I get his point, however the testing is there on college campuses and the treatment if they get the virus, whereas at home they may never even know they have the virus until it may be too late in the extremely rare situation where a player has serious symptoms.

This is the problem. Everyone is doing their own thing and then you have bad actors cutting corners. It's not like the NBA bubble
This is where I am. If they can do a bubble scenario, even on each campus, and then only travel to go into another bubble i think it makes sense. I am sure a lot of these kids want to play right now. When i was their age I wanted to free solo climb and skydive, I wasn’t worried about dying or even worse, getting injured enough to have a long term impact on my life. My niece had a very minor case in March and she still cant do any cardio, who knows if that will be a lifelong issue.

Why does it have to be that if the kids go home they immediately contract it and spread it? For those who argue to keep them on campus, they still have to follow certain rules. You have to think that if they are smart enough to do the things to not get it while playing a season they should have the same thought process at home. Be socially distant, wear a mask, wash hands. If they stick to these things, chances are much more likely they will not get it.

This is where I am. If they can do a bubble scenario, even on each campus, and then only travel to go into another bubble i think it makes sense. I am sure a lot of these kids want to play right now. When i was their age I wanted to free solo climb and skydive, I wasn’t worried about dying or even worse, getting injured enough to have a long term impact on my life. My niece had a very minor case in March and she still cant do any cardio, who knows if that will be a lifelong issue.

Why does it have to be that if the kids go home they immediately contract it and spread it? For those who argue to keep them on campus, they still have to follow certain rules. You have to think that if they are smart enough to do the things to not get it while playing a season they should have the same thought process at home. Be socially distant, wear a mask, wash hands. If they stick to these things, chances are much more likely they will not get it.
The difference is that they are constantly tested and have a pretty strict routine on campus during the season. That’s not the case at home.

The difference is that they are constantly tested and have a pretty strict routine on campus during the season. That’s not the case at home.
But if they are not playing, those tests could be used for society at large that cant seem to get access to them. Then with the players following the items I stated above, and not engaging in any riskier behavior than they would on campus - think large team parties, outings, etc, it seems like a win win for everyone in terms of testing and not spreading.

I would not call CFB a success. 16 schools have had to stop at some point iirc. This is before contact in practice and students returning to school.

NBA shines.

Another overlooked point of not playing college sports being g the right decision: It doesn't make sense to devote scads of medical supplies and testing to completely non-essential, unpaid workforces, diverting those supplies from the public at large.

Frankly, playing sports right now is immoral.

Back