What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I would not call CFB a success. 16 schools have had to stop at some point iirc. This is before contact in practice and students returning to school.

NBA shines.

Yes the the bubble has worked out great for the NBA so far but the NBA also has a massive built-in advantage with their small roster sizes. The bubble concept is virtually impossible in football, college or pro.

But if they are not playing, those tests could be used for society at large that cant seem to get access to them. Then with the players following the items I stated above, and not engaging in any riskier behavior than they would on campus - think large team parties, outings, etc, it seems like a win win for everyone in terms of testing and not spreading.

You need to be able to turn those tests around in a timely manner......which the federal government for one has shown they don't know how to do.

I’ve yet to read of extensive testing regimes as uniform across FBS football - even in the P5. The testing protocols are varied depending upon the state and budget allocation from respective ADs. Have any P5 conferences created any mandates or policies for testing?

Playing football is risky for your health - the BU study reported 86% of the CFB brains showed signs of CTE. Many Buffs including Salaam, Wahlroos, Miller etc are unfortunate examples.

Now look at excess deaths this year for those under 25 compared to the the previous 4 yrs (there isn’t a difference). The additional risk of playing this year is very small in comparison to the overall risk of playing in general. If you are worried about Covid you should be scared ****less about CTE. Math is hard.
You understand CTE deaths occur much later in life, right? You should quit while you're behind.

Seems more and more likely that Spring football is going to be reality. With that in mind, do they play a full 12-game schedule? Do they take the schedule that was supposed to be played in 2020 and just move the whole thing back six months? Do an abbreviated schedule so they can return to a normal fall schedule in 2021? I suspect that is the real driver of the decision making process now - what does a Spring 2021 CFB season look like and will they be able to return to a regular Fall schedule afterwards?

Totally agreed!

Not sure about you, but I have zero intentions of putting myself in a position of mingling with 1000's of people this fall, even with reduced capacity.

Until there is a proven vaccine:
1) No indoor dining
2) No movies
3) No sporting events or concerts
4) No airplane trips
I'm mostly there (along w/ no gyms). I'm considering going back to no haircuts as well, and my wife is pressuring me to cancel my dental cleaning (for some reasons that don't make 100% sense to me, she views the dental cleaning as riskier than a hair cut).

However, over the two weeks I've talked to four different work associates that have traveled by air in recent weeks, and they describe the current processes and reduced capacity making them feel that air travel is relatively low risk. I haven't yet, but I think I'll travel by air if it makes sense, but my drive/fly threshold is probably 8-10 hours right now.

Totally agreed!

Not sure about you, but I have zero intentions of putting myself in a position of mingling with 1000's of people this fall, even with reduced capacity.

Until there is a proven vaccine:
1) No indoor dining
2) No movies
3) No sporting events or concerts
4) No airplane trips

1) I've had one sit-down meal at a restaurant in four months.
2) Willing to risk COVID-19 for Tenet and No Time to Die, but that's about it. If there's a way to watch those two from home or at a friend's, I'm doing that instead.
3) Don't see fans at a sporting event until 2021 in most places. Could see exceptions-maybe the Masters?
4) **** no on travel period for me.

Seems more and more likely that Spring football is going to be reality. With that in mind, do they play a full 12-game schedule? Do they take the schedule that was supposed to be played in 2020 and just move the whole thing back six months? Do an abbreviated schedule so they can return to a normal fall schedule in 2021? I suspect that is the real driver of the decision making process now - what does a Spring 2021 CFB season look like and will they be able to return to a regular Fall schedule afterwards?

I gotta think it'll be the schedule we have only. Opt-outs remain, and bowl season might be the CFP and not much else.

Last edited:
Yeah I have no idea how the logistics of a spring season would work, but I’m intrigued. Depending when they start, it’s likely that half the season happens after school let’s out which could seriously impact student attendance. Also I assume the NFL would have to push their draft back from April - if it happened mid-season you’d have a whole bunch of players leave their teams mid-season.

Spring football here we come!

Unfortunately, in the spring the fear of the virus will still be here, very likely amplified by more fear mongering from the media. If the goal remains to avoid a single player or staff getting sick with COVID, regardless of the terrible consequences otherwise, I expect spring football will be cancelled, too.

Last edited:
A couple things will *likely* happen by the time next March rolls around: 1) a vaccine will probably be available and be in reasonably good supply; 2) treatments will have improved to the point where hospitalization and death will be extremely rare for those infected. We are already starting to see this happening - the death rate and hospitalizations haven’t increased correspondingly to the increase in cases. So while a Fall season at this point seems insane, a Spring season looks a lot more reasonable. The trick is going to be figuring out how to pull it off. The idea that we will all be facing the same issues in the Spring as we are headed into the Fall ignores the progress that has already been made and assumes no additional progress will be made in the next 6 months. I think it’s pretty reasonable to expect we will have a better handle on this in six months than we do now.

So I see three different sorts of posters here: first are the people who are reading the tea leaves and rationally dealing with/responding to the actual situation at hand. Second are the people who are letting their hearts get ahead of their heads and making arguments for a fall season even their arguments are most likely futile. Third are the assholes who are either trolling or complete dicks.

Unfortunately, in the spring the fear of the virus will still be here, very likely amplified by more fear mongering from the media. If the goal remains to avoid a single player or staff getting sick with COVID, regardless of the terrible consequences otherwise, I expect spring football will be cancelled, too.
The goal is to avoid a much larger version of what we're currently seeing in MLB.

So I see three different sorts of posters here: first are the people who are reading the tea leaves and rationally dealing with/responding to the actual situation at hand. Second are the people who are letting their hearts get ahead of their heads and making arguments for a fall season even their arguments are most likely futile. Third are the assholes who are either trolling or complete dicks.
I feel like this is a perfect outline describing every internet message board ever.

Unfortunately, in the spring the fear of the virus will still be here, very likely amplified by more fear mongering from the media.

Why the ****, when you see how many people have died and how many more people have had their lives completely upended by covid, are you yammering about media "fearmongering"? Do you think that the media not talking about it will make it go away? Are you one of those people who thinks we wouldn't have as many cases if we just didn't test as much? IOW, are you just mentally stunted?

You understand CTE deaths occur much later in life, right? You should quit while you're behind.

There are 5M confirmed cases of SARS-CoV2 In the US. Let’s say the true # is 10X higher @ 50M out of a total US population of 328M which = 15% positive. There are a total of 12,659 CFB players and let’s assume they also get infected at the same rate despite some of the mitigation efforts mentioned (15% = 1928). The fatality rate/infection for their age group is 0.001% which means 0.02 players are likely at risk at most. The fatality rate is likely much lower for elite athletes vs. the general pop with whatever percentage of co-morbidities (obesity, cancer, diabetes etc).

I’m not saying the 2020 CFB season is necessarily worth risking a ~0.0001-0.0002% chance of death or any of the unknown long-term consequences, but I guarantee that >1 player will get CTE and/or long-term disabilities associated with traumatic brain injury. What is the difference between CTE and Covid liability for universities? If you can accept the risk associated with CTE you shouldn’t be worried about Covid. If you are super conservative and say 10% of CFB players will suffer significant CTE then Covid is somewhere around 60,000-fold less dangerous.

Stadiums filled with fans are not a good idea, but the kids should be able to play if they want to. Champions league is going fine.

Last edited:
There are 5M confirmed cases of SARS-CoV2 In the US. Let’s say the true # is 10X higher @ 50M out of a total US population of 328M which = 15% positive. There are a total of 12,659 CFB players and let’s assume they also get infected at the same rate despite some of the mitigation efforts mentioned (15% = 1928). The fatality rate/infection for their age group is 0.001% which means 0.02 players are likely at risk at most. The fatality rate is likely much lower for elite athletes vs. the general pop with whatever percentage of co-morbidities (obesity, cancer, diabetes etc).

I’m not saying the 2020 CFB season is necessarily worth risking a ~1-2% chance of death or any of the unknown long-term consequences, but I guarantee that >1 player will get CTE and/or long-term disabilities associated with traumatic brain injury. What is the difference between CTE and Covid liability for universities? If you can accept the risk associated with CTE you shouldn’t be worried about Covid. If you are super conservative and say 10% of CFB players will suffer significant CTE then Covid is somewhere around 60,000-fold less dangerous.

Stadiums filled with fans are not a good idea, but the kids should be able to play if they want to. Champions league is going fine.

Do you mean the competition that is getting wrapped up in a stripped down form at a hub in Portugal to avoid unnecessary travel across a continent that has a fraction of the number of infections the US has?

It seems you really see four different sorts of poster.

Signed,

Complete Dick

I think the NCAA and schools just cancel fall sports completely and let the kids just focus on studies for the fall.

I’m not saying the 2020 CFB season is necessarily worth risking a ~0.0001-0.0002% chance of death or any of the unknown long-term consequences, but I guarantee that >1 player will get CTE and/or long-term disabilities associated with traumatic brain injury. What is the difference between CTE and Covid liability for universities? If you can accept the risk associated with CTE you shouldn’t be worried about Covid. If you are super conservative and say 10% of CFB players will suffer significant CTE then Covid is somewhere around 60,000-fold less dangerous.

At least now you're trying to make an argument. Now the question is why, since very few players have opted out.

A couple things will *likely* happen by the time next March rolls around: 1) a vaccine will probably be available and be in reasonably good supply; 2) treatments will have improved to the point where hospitalization and death will be extremely rare for those infected. We are already starting to see this happening - the death rate and hospitalizations haven’t increased correspondingly to the increase in cases. So while a Fall season at this point seems insane, a Spring season looks a lot more reasonable. The trick is going to be figuring out how to pull it off. The idea that we will all be facing the same issues in the Spring as we are headed into the Fall ignores the progress that has already been made and assumes no additional progress will be made in the next 6 months. I think it’s pretty reasonable to expect we will have a better handle on this in six months than we do now.

Treatment definitely has improved-but the median age of cases in states that re-emerged (in particular Arizona, Texas, and Florida) is a lot lower in the resurgences in those states isn't it?

Treatment definitely has improved-but the median age of cases in states that re-emerged (in particular Arizona, Texas, and Florida) is a lot lower in the resurgences in those states isn't it?

I think that's very simply explained by older people being more cautious while young people are giving no ****s.

I think that's very simply explained by older people being more cautious while young people are giving no ****s.

That's basically where I was going. Younger people played ball with the lockdowns for a month or so and then stopped giving a damn more than treatments have improved.

At least now you're trying to make an argument. Now the question is why, since very few players have opted out.

Holy hell you are dense. The argument has always been the same as I thought people might gain some perspective after looking at the CDC data for kids/young adults. Obviously it required me to walk you all the way through the basic math.

The answer for your insanely dumb question can be found in the thread title: the leagues are starting to shut it down.

If the leagues are willing to accept the risks associated with CTE them they should be willing to risk Covid. If the players want to play, let them play. If they opt out they should be able to keep their scholarship.

Back