What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

assuming we can get some decent numbers of test kits out into the public, I can see a scenario playing out that says you need to provide a ticket AND verification that you’re either immune or not infected to gain admission to a game.

might mean tailgating is set aside for a while. That would suck.

I think the hope would be to have snap tests developed in the coming months and test all the players and coaches (and refs) the day before, but considering what a cluster the testing process is, hard to fathom that’s doable any time soon.

So when a team has a multitude of their players test positive, does that team forfeit the game? Is the game declared null?

If a team gets hit with the virus they will be quarantined for at least two weeks. Will they get extra time to get back in shape and have extra practices before they are allowed to play their next game?

So when a team has a multitude of their players test positive, does that team forfeit the game? Is the game declared null?

If a team gets hit with the virus they will be quarantined for at least two weeks. Will they get extra time to get back in shape and have extra practices before they are allowed to play their next game?

Good points.

We’re going to play it,” Gladchuk said to Heather Dinich of ESPN. “We expect this to pass. We’re not naïve. We’re five months away from that game happening. There’s a lot that could happen in five months. If the economy and the United States are still shut down in five months, we all have significant issues, more so than a game in Dublin.”

Its only going to take one sport to come back before they all do. Nobody wants to be the first in a situation like this.

Which sport is going to have all of the governors in all of the states that they play in remove the stay-at-home and social distancing orders? The decisions are out of the hands of the sports themselves and will be for quite some time.

TL;DL. Summary: Fowler’s informed speculation is that the season gets delayed until spring 2021, and it will likely be truncated schedule.

I didn't hear anything from him about a truncated schedule going along with delaying the season into the spring. He says three scenarios-

1) Season starts as normal-CF thinks there's a lot that has to happen between now and the end of May for this. He doesn't think this is likely.
2) Some sort of delay and truncated schedule-He thinks this is problematic. Cites a possible 2nd wave of corona. Gotta take the economics in account here We make fun of the schools who play the guarantee games because we've always scheduled tough as a program (with the Mike Bohn era being the obvious exception). I'm going to use UMass at Auburn to make this point ($1.9M guarantee for a game that is scheduled to take place during the SEC's annual Cupcake-a-palooza right before their rivalry games per fbsschedules.com). An AD like UMass could be in huge financial/title IX trouble if they don't get to play that game. Those games are unwatchable for the most part to us as fans-but the schools like UMass or even my alma mater Northern Colorado need the money they get from the paycheck games they play.
3) Delayed season altogether into the spring. Goes off as normal with the CFP in May or June of 2021. This is what he thinks is most likely right now.

Which sport is going to have all of the governors in all of the states that they play in remove the stay-at-home and social distancing orders? The decisions are out of the hands of the sports themselves and will be for quite some time.

If any given state doesn't allow games to be played then teams from that state would likely play games elsewhere until their home state decides to allow games.

I think that's the most realistic scenario I've seen yet. And even then I think it's highly questionable that fans will be allowed to attend.

He was reasonable and well thought out in his points. I still don’t see how short of a vaccine that a season happens. Testing needs to improve but it doesn’t solve so many of the problems preventing play.

He pointed out a bigger issue than sports related to universities, will fall semester be on campus or online? I find it near impossible to see it being on campus until a vaccine is discovered, manufactured, distributed and implemented.

If any given state doesn't allow games to be played then teams from that state would likely play games elsewhere until their home state decides to allow games.

An entire season of road games? Which teams will agree to that scenario? It would conceivably require all games for all teams played at neutral sites.

I didn't hear anything from him about a truncated schedule going along with delaying the season into the spring. He says three scenarios-

1) Season starts as normal-CF thinks there's a lot that has to happen between now and the end of May for this. He doesn't think this is likely.
2) Some sort of delay and truncated schedule-He thinks this is problematic. Cites a possible 2nd wave of corona. Gotta take the economics in account here We make fun of the schools who play the guarantee games because we've always scheduled tough as a program (with the Mike Bohn era being the obvious exception). I'm going to use UMass at Auburn to make this point ($1.9M guarantee for a game that is scheduled to take place during the SEC's annual Cupcake-a-palooza right before their rivalry games per fbsschedules.com). An AD like UMass could be in huge financial/title IX trouble if they don't get to play that game. Those games are unwatchable for the most part to us as fans-but the schools like UMass or even my alma mater Northern Colorado need the money they get from the paycheck games they play.
3) Delayed season altogether into the spring. Goes off as normal with the CFP in May or June of 2021. This is what he thinks is most likely right now.

Yea, he only talked about a truncated schedule with option 2 but option 3 was a full schedule. Overall an interesting take and he is informed as anyone.

This whole discussion is contingent on widespread testing-but let me respond to you with this: Why do you think we saw the leaks about the bubbles for baseball, basketball, and hockey? I believe baseball, basketball, and hockey will wind up having to create bubbles in 1-2 (in the case of baseball) locations. I've already seen stuff that says the NBA's TV partners will lose $11 billion if the NBA doesn't resume for the year. The economics do matter here. Baseball, basketball, and hockey will hold truncated seasons (in the case of baseball) or some sort of expanded playoffs in the case of basketball and hockey. Golf can do something similar-they have a plan in place for the majors they want to contest this year, and its not that hard to move a golf tournament (if needbe) especially if you're going to say no galleries-Kiawah Island in South Carolina (who is scheduled host the '21 PGA championship) could probably step up and host this year if we saw another flare-up of cases in California (this year's venue is TPC Harding Park in SF)

A vaccine may never be discovered just like SARS, MERS, HIV, etc. Nothing can be contingent on a vaccine. Life will have to get back to relative normalcy whether through a vaccine or time and herd immunity.

I am not a scientist and I've had similar thoughts, but those who know actually do seem to believe that in this case a vaccine is realistic and plausible.

I am not a scientist and I've had similar thoughts, but those who know actually do seem to believe that in this case a vaccine is realistic and plausible.
That would be great and I obviously hope that’s the case, but suggesting that anything is contingent on a vaccine just isn’t a reality

That would be great and I obviously hope that’s the case, but suggesting that anything is contingent on a vaccine just isn’t a reality

The science community does seem to believe that just is the case here, however. Don't ask me why and for details, but scientists across the board do seem to be optimistic that a vaccine is a very realistic proposition here.

It's our best shot by quite a distance either way.

There are 7 major strains of Coronavirus and no vaccine has been successfully created. I wouldn't hold our collective breaths counting on a vaccine, though that would be great. It's entirely possible that it becomes a less severe endemic virus after this intense pandemic phase (Like H1N1 which is still around). Based on the wide variety of things I'm hearing on the news and from my physician colleagues I don't think anyone can know at this point what will happen. Anecdotally though here in Denver things have considerably slowed down and the rate of new intubations is much, much lower than it was about a week or two ago when 5-10 patients were getting put on the vent nightly (now 2-3/wk).

Give it a month and the world is going to look much different. I'd be very surprised if the athletic world was still paused come October.

Careful. No vaccine ever made for coronavirus. RNA platform adds complexity. Manufacturing is critical path. Stacked risk.

I think we play Spring.

Back