What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I don't see how we get a National Championship if the top three play in the fall and the other two play in the spring.
No way does an OU, Clemson or Bama sit around waiting for the Big 10 & Pac 12 in the spring.
Who knows...maybe they play their own version of a championship.

The rest of the world is able to get soccer to work now and we have insiders predicting that in the US, we still won't have our act together by next spring to make sports happen.

You're making sports happen, just not a sport where unpaid amateurs are being exploited by SMBs.

I’m not saying that at all. I’m merely saying a norm has been set with MWC, SwAC, P12, B10 etc that has increased the liability for those that decide to play. SEC and others know that.
The P12 decided, in large part, to not play due to inadequate testing in light of community spread. Others will face this problem.
I’m rooting for proper decisions.
tenor.gif

Obviously player and community safety should be the priority, but having a season doesn’t make any sense financially for these schools right now. You have what, 25-30 athletic departments that actually turn a profit each year? Takeout football gameday revenue and I’m sure that number drops closer to 10. With Title IX, a school can’t only field a football team. So you have all these other sports that normally would be subsidized by football revenue having to have the same safety protocols and testing that will end up costing millions in addition to large sums already being spent on the general student population. Add in potential liability and a likely decrease in state funding over the next few years and it just doesn’t seem feasible to me.

College football has become so divorced from the mission of universities in the name of money. Take away the money and how can anyone justify having a fall season for what, their personal entertainment?
It will be interesting if in a year a number of schools decide to drop athletics. As a college president at any second tier school, it has to be painful to manage the loss of revenue every year while fans want you to build stadiums and bring on the next savior to coach, often making more than the president that has to manage the loss.

The potential for negligence suits increases with every conference/team that decides not to play. The publication of the P12 medical reports also puts them in a bind. I suspect we will see B1G report soon.

Strong liability protections will be in the next relief package, bank it. The red states aren't going to forget to include football in the bill.

No one is suing anyone, at least successfully, unless Mike Leach knowingly puts kids with concussions together with those sick with the virus in small, dark, confined places while the team practices.

Strong liability protections will be in the next relief package, bank it. The red states aren't going to forget to include football in the bill.

No one is suing anyone, at least successfully, unless Mike Leach knowingly puts kids with concussions together with those sick with the virus in small, dark, confined places while the team practices.
Protection against negligence would surprise me.

question for Allbuffs general counsel, if there are lawsuits brought by the players, would they be heard in state courts or federal courts if the plaintiff is:
a) an single university?
b) an entire conference?

So it’s too unsafe to play now but at the height of cold and flu season they’re going to play...?

Combined with that and other conferences continuing on the NFL probably isn’t going to push back the draft and kids playing 24 games in a year is a lot, I doubt this season is postponed, it’s cancelled.

question for Allbuffs general counsel, if there are lawsuits brought by the players, would they be heard in state courts or federal courts if the plaintiff is:
a) an single university?
b) an entire conference?

If the Conference, then diversity jurisdiction and the players should be able to go to Federal Court. Single university may come down to the language in the scholarship, financial aid, or some sort football participation document; which could be a waiver or some sort informal contact. I would imagine that the players sign something that gives them access to all the medical care, meals, etc... in playing; but also includes a waiver of sorts. That may have a dispute resolution clause in it. That too could come into play for the Conference.

So it’s too unsafe to play now but at the height of cold and flu season they’re going to play...?

Combined with that and other conferences continuing on the NFL probably isn’t going to push back the draft and kids playing 24 games in a year is a lot, I doubt this season is postponed, it’s cancelled.

I don't see how they get out of this without a loan by the university. Their budget just got shot to pieces.

Spring football will be 7 games or so IMO. Play all divisional opponents and one two-game series with North pairs.

2 8 game seasons or so sounds about right. There's no chance they play a full fall schedule if they already have them play 8 games in spring.

A spring and then fall season is doable. They will have to cut the games played in each, but its easily doable.

Urban Meyer knows it can happen, he is just playing at the fear of no fall season.

Is liability higher in a sporting atmosphere than in a School setting atmosphere?
It is completely different situations. Students have like 1 class in person this semester and that might only be a 1 hour a week rotation. Social distancing and mask wearing can also happen on campus and it can’t happen in football. There is also no school sponsored travel which seems dangerous as well.

A spring and then fall season is doable. They will have to cut the games played in each, but its easily doable.

Urban Meyer knows it can happen, he is just playing at the fear of no fall season.
This notion that they can't play in Spring and Fall is ridiculous. Training schedules will be adjusted. They will get plenty of time off. 25% of the roster wont' be playing in both seasons due to attrition, graduation, younger players RS for the Spring season, but playing in the Fall season, etc.

We are OK with a CFP format where two teams play 15 games in the Fall season with one bye week and a few weeks off in between the last two games, but somehow 4-5 months off in between a 7-8 game season and a normal season isn't doable? Child, please.

Back