What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

It is completely different situations. Students have like 1 class in person this semester and that might only be a 1 hour a week rotation. Social distancing and mask wearing can also happen on campus and it can’t happen in football. There is also no school sponsored travel which seems dangerous as well.
Understood. However, if someone gets sick and dies/has long term effects from another student, is that liability less than if a college football player got it from another player?

Understood. However, if someone gets sick and dies/has long term effects from another student, is that liability less than if a college football player got it from another player?
I think the liability looks a lot different because playing football defies local health requirements of distancing, mass gatherings, etc. where as if a student got it they have adapted their teaching model to abide by those requirements.

I find it fascinating how upset some people are over football being cancelled during a global pandemic. I hope they find some new hobbies they enjoy with the extra free time this fall.

Why care about athletics at all. It's just a game following a dumb ball. So obtuse.

We care because athletics is an extension of the university, and a medium through which young people experience adversity, triumph while building character, leadership skills, and teamwork. Where academic growth goes hand in hand with gaining life skills, self-reliance away from parents, and all the benefits that one gains through athletics as well. If you are incredulous that others care that these opportunities are being removed in the face of 'risk', then you are living in your own world. Might as well hand out trophies, illegalize driving, fatty foods, paper that causes papercuts, encase everyone in stryfoam, and call that life. It's garbage. Risk is everywhere. Pandemic or not.

Why care about athletics at all. It's just a game following a dumb ball. So obtuse.

We care because athletics is an extension of the university, and a medium through which young people experience adversity, triumph while building character, leadership skills, and teamwork. Where academic growth goes hand in hand with gaining life skills, self-reliance away from parents, and all the benefits that one gains through athletics as well. If you are incredulous that others care that these opportunities are being removed in the face of 'risk', then you are living in your own world. Might as well hand out trophies, illegalize driving, fatty foods, paper that causes papercuts, encase everyone in stryfoam, and call that life. It's garbage. Risk is everywhere. Pandemic or not.

You want to risk peoples lives for your own entertainment. Find a therapist this fall. You could use it.

It's no use - based on numerous posts, he is one of the best examples on this site of the liberal mind-set to "avoid the negative" at all costs, even if the result is accomplishing nothing in life.

I do find it funny in a post about other people being soft, you post a bunch of feel-good fluff about what college sports are all about.

It's no use - based on numerous posts, he is one of the best examples on this site of the liberal mind-set to "avoid the negative" at all costs, even if the result is accomplishing nothing in life.

I think the best part is everyone is worried about all the “risk” due to the “pandemic.” Yet, they’ve conveniently forgot the argument from last week about how risky and dangerous football is and how colleges are abusing kids bodies for financial gain. Yet, we’re discussing running these kids out onto the field 20+ times next year.

BOO college football you abuse them in a dangerous sport with no compensation!
YAY college football you’re worried about safety!
YAY spring and fall football!!

Ignorance is a strong tool when you’re trying to stick to an agenda.

I think the best part is everyone is worried about all the “risk” due to the “pandemic.” Yet, they’ve conveniently forgot the argument from last week about how risky and dangerous football is and how colleges are abusing kids bodies for financial gain. Yet, we’re discussing running these kids out onto the field 20+ times next year.

BOO college football you abuse them in a dangerous sport with no compensation!
YAY college football you’re worried about safety!
YAY spring and fall football!!

Ignorance is a strong tool when you’re trying to stick to an agenda.
Intellectual consistency is a hard commodity to come by in our post-modern, entirely emotion-driven world.

I don't see a basketball forum for this, so I guess I will post here. Tad Boyle seems to be absolutely pissed off by this decision.

Strong liability protections will be in the next relief package, bank it. The red states aren't going to forget to include football in the bill.

No one is suing anyone, at least successfully, unless Mike Leach knowingly puts kids with concussions together with those sick with the virus in small, dark, confined places while the team practices.

There's no way that's going to happen.

You literally remove anyone's right to sue for negligence. It would basically be a free-for-all for businesses to **** up and exploit without consequences.

My read on the B12 decision is cynical. Sell tickets up until the cancellation announcement. Keep that cash flow coming.

Reminds me of waiting at the gate for Spirit Airlines, with PA announcements peddling hope to the passengers, even though no spare part is going to arrive anytime soon.

question for Allbuffs general counsel, if there are lawsuits brought by the players, would they be heard in state courts or federal courts if the plaintiff is:
a) an single university?
b) an entire conference?
I’m not a lawyer, but in talking with plaintiff attorney friends, they’re telling me the school and the conference will be named in federal suits since many of the games are played interstate.

Strong liability protections will be in the next relief package, bank it. The red states aren't going to forget to include football in the bill.

No one is suing anyone, at least successfully, unless Mike Leach knowingly puts kids with concussions together with those sick with the virus in small, dark, confined places while the team practices.
This liability protection concept is a non-starter at any level.

If other conferences play, and pull this off with little to no real issues or outbreaks,( I doubt this happens, but for sake of the argument) dues this just prove the ineptitude of the PAC12 leadership and damage the Pac12 even more? We are already behind every other P5 conference in money, and now getting a loan to make up for some lost revenue, just puts us more behind.

I had to take three semesters off from school due to financial issues. That turned out great for me and surely can turn out great for those athletes. That experience isn't lost just delayed.

And what's so bad about reducing the risk of myocarditis plus other unknown health issues? Your comments are garbage.

Dorrell said CU is "on the aggressive side", AD has had discussions about playing outside of conference, but would need blessing of Pac. Said he has not been in the meetings, however. Obviously just posturing, but interesting he would say it publicly.

Interviewed on Full Ride, ESPNU with Slick Rick.

Dorrell said CU is "on the aggressive side", AD has had discussions about playing outside of conference, but would need blessing of Pac. Said he has not been in the meetings, however. Obviously just posturing, but interesting he would say it publicly.

Interviewed on Full Ride, ESPNU with Slick Rick.
That's weird, Rick George was quoted today saying that wasn't an option

Back