What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

So forest fires burning out west would be the reason for the Pac-12 starting later right?

Might as well enclose all Pac-12 football stadiums with the same kind of roof material as Sofi Stadium/Allegiant Stadium. Too much money lost to not build those roofs. At least they will play more daytime games for both Arizona schools.

Instead of joining with the B1G, we’ll join with the MW in the Spring. Fml

This was an idea I brought up earlier in this thread or another thread. The New Mexico schools might still be out but we could go with:

Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Colorado State
Air Force
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV

10 game schedule.

The west coast version in the spring:

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
San Jose State
Frenso State
UCLA
USC
San Diego State

So forest fires burning out west would be the reason for the Pac-12 starting later right?

Might as well enclose all Pac-12 football stadiums with the same kind of roof material as Sofi Stadium/Allegiant Stadium. Too much money lost to not build those roofs. At least they will play more daytime games for both Arizona schools.
Dude, what??
This was an idea I brought up earlier in this thread or another thread. The New Mexico schools might still be out but we could go with:

Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Colorado State
Air Force
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV

10 game schedule.

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
San Jose State
Frenso State
UCLA
USC
San Diego State
Dude

Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Colorado State
Air Force
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV

10 game schedule.

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
San Jose State
Frenso State
UCLA
USC
San Diego State
No. Please stop with the PAC/MW conf crap. It will NEVER happen

Dude, what??

Dude
I see a really bad idea is back.
No. Please stop with the PAC/MW conf crap. It will NEVER happen

That is if you wanted football now as opposed to later. Even if we had a normal college football season, how many games would have been impacted due to poor AQI in those locations? This is a question that could be asked for NFL & MLB teams out west as well. That's why I brought up the idea to enclose the stadiums of the Pac-12 (and MWC as well). Those forests aren't going to all of a sudden stop burning.

Suppose there are more paramedics in the future...wouldn't we want that kind of flexibility in conference set-ups if the need arises? And especially when athletic departments are running big time in the red? Not playing those sports are becoming expensive and there needs to be mitigation protocols in place if not outright conference realignment out west.

I highly doubt medical opinion changed in any meaningful way that fast.
More likely I suspect SEC, ACC, BIG12 and the NFL pushing forward made them look like fools.
This should have never been a by conference decision in the first place. All conferences should have decided together.

That is if you wanted football now as opposed to later. Even if we had a normal college football season, how many games would have been impacted due to poor AQI in those locations? This is a question that could be asked for NFL & MLB teams out west as well. That's why I brought up the idea to enclose the stadiums of the Pac-12 (and MWC as well). Those forests aren't going to all of a sudden stop burning.

Suppose there are more paramedics in the future...wouldn't we want that kind of flexibility in conference set-ups if the need arises? And especially when athletic departments are running big time in the red? Not playing those sports are becoming expensive and there needs to be mitigation protocols in place if not outright conference realignment out west.
Why are you talking about conference realignment? This has nothing to do with that.

Also, what world are you living in where each stadium is just going to build a roof, within the next few months, nonetheless?

Wilner is right, the Pac12 needs to get back on the field by mid-November even though the CFB is off the table.

Imagine the Pac-12 taking the field for six or seven weekends in early 2021 as the only conference competing.

Imagine all those weeks of reminding the college football world that it didn’t play with everyone else, that it’s not like the others … that it’s as much Group of Five as it is Power Five.

If the fall doesn’t work, the Pac-12 should shut it down until next fall.

Far better to be out of sight and mind than to provide weekly reminders to players, fans, donors, talking heads and recruits that it’s different — different in a bad way.

The other option is playing during the peak of flu season in the spring. We now don't have a choice. Have to find a way back on the field ASAP.

If it is any consolation, I believe the BIG is still trying to delay as long as they can so that they don't have to play. There is really no reason they couldn't have started Oct 17. Programs had already been gearing up for an Oct 17 start. But they have put Oct 24 out there in order to hold out hope for still being part of the CFP. They will shut it down again if there is any negative COVID news during the next month.

At least some of you can continue to root for COVID this fall. You will probably get more enjoyment from that than you do rooting for the Buffs.

The other option is playing during the peak of flu season in the spring. We now don't have a choice. Have to find a way back on the field ASAP.
:unsure: Isn't there a flu vaccine?

Look, you've made it clear that you favor the Pac 12 starting play tomorrow. That doesn't excuse just making up stupid **** to support your preferred scenario.

More likely I suspect SEC, ACC, BIG12 and the NFL pushing forward made them look like fools.
This should have never been a by conference decision in the first place. All conferences should have decided together.
They made a reasonable decision on 8/11. They make a reasonable decision today. Their medical experts laid out what changed.

Why are you talking about conference realignment? This has nothing to do with that.

Also, what world are you living in where each stadium is just going to build a roof, within the next few months, nonetheless?

I guess you are okay with one state (California) deciding whether eight other states can or can't play football and having their ADs drowning in red ink. It's actually four states (CA, OR, WA, and NM) that could force both conferences to postpone their sports until spring. What I am basically suggesting isn't necessarily permanent. The AD losses would be reduced if the non-west coast schools decided to play together. You can bet that state legislatures are going to be asking all kinds of questions about why those schools had to tap $50-100M in the school's endowment to cover for those AD losses. Suppose the state legislature forces CU to leave the Pac-12 over those massive AD losses...the same threats could happen in other states as well hence the realignment talk.

As for the dome thing, you are jumping to the wrong conclusions because it is not realistic to build domes in just a few months. This is something that would happen over time as those schools are going to have to identify where they are going to get $100M to $200M to build the roofs alone. That is going to take time and if you read the history of the Idaho Kibble Dome, that dome wasn't fully encased in one year but over multiple years. Schools might need multiple years to fully enclose their stadiums.

If we don't want one state having such a huge influence on how athletics runs, we might as well join the Big Ten.

Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Colorado State
Air Force
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming
Boise State
Nevada
UNLV

10 game schedule.

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
California
San Jose State
Frenso State
UCLA
USC
San Diego State
Yea, great. Put us on par with the MWC and make ourselves even more irrelevant. No, no, and plenty of no.

We get no benefit from beating MWC schools, we lose credibility each time we lose to one.

This is something that would not draw more TV eyes to the conference, likely a lot less.

If we end up playing we play a PAC schedule with PAC schools an crown a PAC champion. No more, no less.

Why? It's a self-imposed rule from the BIG, not a legal mandate. Is the BIG going to do anything to tOSU if it's found out?
I’m talking about reporters being able to find the information through FOIA requests and then specific schools putting student athletes at other schools at risk by hiding something like that. Talk about a liability nightmare

Rapid testing was certainly a factor but ultimately the B1G misread things and expected all the other conferences to follow along and also cancel. When only the Pac12 followed and the reality set in that P5 football was actually happening they had to scramble.

Back