What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Is KD pulling scholarships? I know we've been operating under the assumption that everyone who has eligibility can come back, but this statement I saw on 247 seems like KD is having to cut budget by cutting 'ships.

link to Akil Jones announcement

“Sometimes guys go into the portal because they see the direction of where their goals and aspirations may not meet the meet the goals and aspirations of the program they are leaving," Dorrell said. "There are a number of different things that lead to that. I know the guys we had in our program that were seniors – K.D. Nixon, Derrion Rakestraw and Akil Jones – guys that have been in our program that have graduated... those guys still have some opportunities to play.

20COMMENTS
“And from what our department is dealing with, and a lot of departments are dealing with across the country, as everybody knows there is a deficit we're all dealing with, with a lack of funding of what a normal football season would provide for a department. There are a number of different factors as to why these things do occur. All of them have their own way, have their own case-by-case scenario.

Is KD pulling scholarships? I know we've been operating under the assumption that everyone who has eligibility can come back, but this statement I saw on 247 seems like KD is having to cut budget by cutting 'ships.

link to Akil Jones announcement
If that were the case he would not be cutting starters who have a year left. I think its as simple as getting more talent on the roster.

I dunno it seems very on brand for CU to cut guys who’ve already graduated.
Every School in the nation does that. I'm referencing the guys who have left were cut because of budget reasons. You don't do that for guys who have actually helped you win games in the past.

Every School in the nation does that. I'm referencing the guys who have left were cut because of budget reasons. You don't do that for guys who have actually helped you win games in the past.
So Rakestraw is miffed at Barnes coming and Akil wants to go and be close to his new baby? Because the rest (including KD Nixon) don't really figure in 2021 in my opinion.

It shouldn't surprise any one that programs are cutting costs. The Buffs are looking at their roster and are making the decision to bring back players or go with younger players. Makes no sense to bring a senior back for a 5th year if the underclassman is better or projected to be better.

It shouldn't surprise any one that programs are cutting costs. The Buffs are looking at their roster and are making the decision to bring back players or go with younger players. Makes no sense to bring a senior back for a 5th year if the underclassman is better or projected to be better.
But why cut starters / contributors while keeping players like chase Newman, ray Robinson, Dj oats, Luke stillwell, Poplawski, etc. these are players that have never contributed and likely never will.

But why cut starters / contributors while keeping players like chase Newman, ray Robinson, Dj oats, Luke stillwell, Poplawski, etc. these are players that have never contributed and likely never will.
Because the Program want to have high graduating rates. The promise of a 4 year degree . It would be a dick move to cut underclassmen scholarships.

That sucks, but quite the career move for him. Hope we get a young up and comer at TE coach

KD has the opportunity to prove recruiting is important with this and the defensive hires. Let’s see what he does

The tight end rooms in a lot better shape than when he took over. But damn it sucks to lose one of our better recruiters although I don't know how good he was outside of his position group

The tight end rooms in a lot better shape than when he took over. But damn it sucks to lose one of our better recruiters although I don't know how good he was outside of his position group
Yeah, he seems like he connects with recruits pretty well and I would have liked to see him stick around, but the only one he's really been responsible for was Olsen, right? I also know for a fact that Olsen grew up a die hard CU fan and was likely CU bound regardless.

Yeah, he seems like he connects with recruits pretty well and I would have liked to see him stick around, but the only one he's really been responsible for was Olsen, right? I also know for a fact that Olsen grew up a die hard CU fan and was likely CU bound regardless.
Given our numerous recruiting failures, I don’t think it’s reasonable to take any recruiting win for granted.

Does KD have any ties to any of the Tennessee coaching staff? Could be ripe for the picking with all the turmoil there.

Given our numerous recruiting failures, I don’t think it’s reasonable to take any recruiting win for granted.
Agree and I'm not trying to do that. Just stating that we assumed Embree is/was a great recruiter because of one, in-state 4* TE recruit, and while it's great that they didn't screw it up and pulled him in, any TE coach with a pulse would have likely kept him here as well.

Back