What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Why is this the case with RG? Why did he undo what Mel built in recruiting ops?
I heard secondhand that what Mel built was probably going to lead to violations at a school that doesn’t turn a blind eye to what makes schools like top SEC and BIG schools recruit so well. But don’t know more.

Seemingly had pretty good running backs.

Hagan has been the RB coach since 2004
since then I'd say it has been less than mediocre overall. He had Lindsay who was a CU kid all the way, not giving Hagan much credit for that one. Other than that Rodney Stewart had one season over 1000 yards and T. McMillian had a season barely over 1000.

Leading rushers by season (I didn't find a ready made chart with ypc but trust me it is just as unimpressive)
2005 H. Charles 842
2006 H. Charles 779
2007 H. Charles 989
2008 R. Stewart 622
2009 R. Stewart 804
2010 R. Stewart 1318
2011 R. Stewart 854
2012 C Powell 691
2013 C Powell 562 (Adkins this season also had over 500)
2014 C Powell 448
2015 P. Lindsay 653
2016 P. Lindsay 1189
2017 P. Lindsay 1479
2018 T. McMillion 1009
2019 A Fontenot 874

I'm failing to see anything there that says that a guy who doesn't particularly excel as a recruiter deserves to have a job for life and is beyond questioning in his coaching.
Hagan and our RB play have not been the problem. Within those stats is the fact that most of those years we had the worst OL in our conference.

Nothing special, but not the problem. I wish Hagan's job performance was what I could consider to be the problem with the program.

Hagan and our RB play have not been the problem. Within those stats is the fact that most of those years we had the worst OL in our conference.

Nothing special, but not the problem. I wish Hagan's job performance was what I could consider to be the problem with the program.
My issue is that as a program we are content with Hagan level performance.

Yes the OL has been terrible (I have been as loud about that as anyone here and had people try to tell me that is wasn't that bad.) We have also had poor QB play and predictable play calling which made it easier for defenses to key on stopping the running game.

Fact is though that Hagan hasn't been a solution as a recruiter and hasn't been better than mediocre as a position coach. What in that keeps a guy in a job for 16 years in college football through a series of coaches.

If we are content with Hagan that means we are content with not making real efforts to get better, with not looking for outstanding.

Hagan should be a part of the program. Find a place where he can be a part of the program without holding the program back.

Seemingly had pretty good running backs.

Hagan has been the RB coach since 2004
since then I'd say it has been less than mediocre overall. He had Lindsay who was a CU kid all the way, not giving Hagan much credit for that one. Other than that Rodney Stewart had one season over 1000 yards and T. McMillian had a season barely over 1000.

Leading rushers by season (I didn't find a ready made chart with ypc but trust me it is just as unimpressive)
2005 H. Charles 842
2006 H. Charles 779
2007 H. Charles 989
2008 R. Stewart 622
2009 R. Stewart 804
2010 R. Stewart 1318
2011 R. Stewart 854
2012 C Powell 691
2013 C Powell 562 (Adkins this season also had over 500)
2014 C Powell 448
2015 P. Lindsay 653
2016 P. Lindsay 1189
2017 P. Lindsay 1479
2018 T. McMillion 1009
2019 A Fontenot 874

I'm failing to see anything there that says that a guy who doesn't particularly excel as a recruiter deserves to have a job for life and is beyond questioning in his coaching.

Or you can look at it this way, if CU played 11 games; it is safe to assume Broussard goes well over 1000; that is 5 1000 yard rushers in 6 years, which is not bad. It is not like CU has produced a ton of talent on the Oline either. You may have a point that CU was a 1 trick pony 2016-17, but that guy made the Pro-Bowl last year. McMillan was the best QB on the roster in 2018. Now somehow, CU is sitting on Fontenot, Broussard, Clayton, Mangram; which looks be as a deep a stable of backs since the GB years.

Or you can look at it this way, if CU played 11 games; it is safe to assume Broussard goes well over 1000; that is 5 1000 yard rushers in 6 years, which is not bad. It is not like CU has produced a ton of talent on the Oline either. You may have a point that CU was a 1 trick pony 2016-17, but that guy made the Pro-Bowl last year. McMillan was the best QB on the roster in 2018. Now somehow, CU is sitting on Fontenot, Broussard, Clayton, Mangram; which looks be as a deep a stable of backs since the GB years.
McMillion was barely a 1000 yard back and had a hard time even getting a pro look. His YPC was low for a leading RB. What did we have besides Lindsay in those years because I give Hagan zero credit for Phil. He was CU all along, was recruited by JE and EB, and was much more a product of his own drive than Hagan's coaching.

He and his players may not be the problem with this program, but they also haven’t really been part of the solution, outside of Lindsay and Broussard for one season each.

On top of that, he doesn’t really recruit other positions and that’s pretty unacceptable for a RB coach.

Didn’t he coach Stewart? I feel like his RB #1 production has been quite solid under his tenure

He coached and recruited Speedy.

I suppose Hagan could be larger recruiter, but looking through his commits, he has been in on some of the biggest signings and unfortunately some of the biggest busts too (Darrell Scott, PT Gates). He was also in on LaViska and Josh Smith (he made a couple of the DH disaster seasons somewhat watchable). Also, I think there has to be a coach that stays home and gives "secondary assists" to all the assistant coaches without Buff ties. Someone has to explain the history. He may serve that role, rather than being out the road recruiting.

Duff is totally correct about the salary. I'm sorry that Hagan does not light the recruiting world or coaching world (he has not advanced to OC), but I think his longevity is an overall positive as well. He has proved that he can work from multiple HC's and OC's. I agree this is not a tree that we should be barking at, as there are other fish to fry.

Fun fact of the day, Taveras Tillman was listed as one of the recruiters on Christian Gonzales... appears that even he hit on one!

Last edited:
Oh we’re back to thinking CU coaches are overpaid for what they do despite being probably the lowest paid group in the P5.

We need to pay more for sure, but I also think a KD can find some value in younger assistants as well.
Sure, but it’s not like CU is the only program in that position so you will still have to pay more in order to get those you want.

So without heading down the path of MT violations, how do we recruit better? Utah has a top25 class and ASU is close I'm sure. Are both of those coaches blurring the lines like MT? I doubt it yet they are out recruiting us. So I guess I'm confused how we only compete with them by using shady MT tactics, or we get classes like the current one when recruiting clean. Are those our only options at CU?

So without heading down the path of MT violations, how do we recruit better? Utah has a top25 class and ASU is close I'm sure. Are both of those coaches blurring the lines like MT? I doubt it yet they are out recruiting us. So I guess I'm confused how we only compete with them by using shady MT tactics, or we get classes like the current one when recruiting clean. Are those our only options at CU?
Not sure about ASU but Utah and Whittingham have a track record that we simply don’t have. They also have deep connections in the LDS and poly communities. If CU had a HC with 11 bowl wins at this program, I suspect recruiting without crossing the line would be a little easier.

We need to pay more for sure, but I also think a KD can find some value in younger assistants as well.
If you find the right young assistants they might not have the experience and knowledge of an older guy but if they want to advance in the business they know that the ticket to bigger jobs is recruiting.

Some of those guys almost live in airports and hotel rooms outside of the dead periods. They just outwork the competition for recruits.

I think its going to take a bit of time to see an uptick in recruiting. 3 coaches in 3 years, only our 2nd winning season in 15 or so. We need to show some stability. I think KD will show that stability, win some games and the players will come. Midnight Mel was a good hire and talked a good game. He got that uptick quickly. However, he showed what he was made of. KD needs to sell stability, and early playing time for freshman.

I think its going to take a bit of time to see an uptick in recruiting. 3 coaches in 3 years, only our 2nd winning season in 15 or so. We need to show some stability. I think KD will show that stability, win some games and the players will come. Midnight Mel was a good hire and talked a good game. He got that uptick quickly. However, he showed what he was made of. KD needs to sell stability, and early playing time for freshman.
I don’t completely disagree, but that’s basically what we tried with MacIntyre and it did not work.

Herm also has ASU modeling their recruiting after an NFL personnel department with tons of resources being thrown at it. Who knows if they are crossing lines, but you know they’re spending money.

That’s the part I don’t get about the alleged CU situation. Tucker’s recruiting operation started crossing the line, so instead of dialing that behavior back but maintaining a similar level of emphasis and resources, RG seemed to dismantle it all.

HCMM took over when the program was an absolute dumpster fire and he pulled them out of the basement. Apart from one season he was pretty mediocre, but people are acting like he was hot garbage or something. Seems like he was the right man for the job at the right time.
I agree with this but it doesn't mean HCMM wasn't a goober. KD has an air of calm and confidence about him on and off the sideline that should sell well in the living room.

Back