What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

First shoe to drop. I'm sure all they were doing was waiting for yesterday's game to finish.

Our game is over before it even starts. Just make an announcement. Lol

I showed you his recruiting rankings at Baylor. Mediocre at best in the hotbed of CFB recruiting. There is no evidence that suggests Rhule is a great recruiter or that he can run an elite recruiting operation in the NIL era
When did I say he’d be elite?

Plus, Virginia is also a super hot bed for recruiting (draws players from a very talent rich area) and ranked worse pretty much consistently.

Major difference was that Rhule left Bailer on a high note instead of the whimper Mendenhall left in Cville.
Rhule certainly knows when to get out I guess? I don’t see how leaving on a high note for an NFL job means he’s better than a guy who continued to coach and didn’t continue the high level success

No. They had more success under Solich and similar success under Pelini. There is no evidence that Rhule is going to be better than that.

That said, Rhule would have been a home run hire for CU, and IMO, a better fit here than at Nebraska.
I'll back track on Solich but Pelini never made a Sugar Bowl equivalent or won 11 games

Rhule certainly knows when to get out I guess? I don’t see how leaving on a high note for an NFL job means he’s better than a guy who continued to coach and didn’t continue the high level success
You don’t see how doing well enough to get an NFL gig is better than regression? Can’t help you there.

Because that wasn’t my argument. My argument was that Mendenhall isn’t the kind of coach you want in the NIL era because he’s not a good recruiter.

As for Rhule, he was a good enough recruiter to rebuild Bailer. I never said he’d win championships at Nebraska. 8-9 wins in a weaker B1G West and a cupcake OOC schedule? I think that’s very doable.
They’re doing away with divisions in the big 10 when ucla and usc join. So the big 10 west is done

They’re doing away with divisions in the big 10 when ucla and usc join. So the big 10 west is done
They’re still going to have tons of the fake B1G rivalry games. Nebraska will have plenty of chances to beat the other bottom feeders and mediocre teams in the B1G.

You don’t see how doing well enough to get an NFL gig is better than regression? Can’t help you there.
He left after his year of success and then failed miserably as an NFL HC. Would he have sustained that at Baylor had he stayed like BM did?

Also, UVA is substantially harder to recruit to than Baylor.

He left after his year of success and then failed miserably as an NFL HC. Would he have sustained that at Baylor had he stayed like BM did?

Also, UVA is substantially harder to recruit to than Baylor.
Well, as you’ve argued many times before, a coach’s NFL record is totally divorced from their college ability.

And, would he have had success? I mean, Dave Aranda is probably not as good of an overall game day head coach at Rhule and has done well.

Bailer is easier for admissions than UVA. But, Texas as a state has far more programs competing for middle of roster talent and above than the mid-atlantic with comparable numbers of FBS level players. UVA is also okay with relaxing admission standards for athletes.

Well, as you’ve argued many times before, a coach’s NFL record is totally divorced from their college ability.

And, would he have had success? I mean, Dave Aranda is probably not as good of an overall game day head coach at Rhule and has done well.

Bailer is easier for admissions than UVA. But, Texas as a state has far more programs competing for middle of roster talent and above than the mid-atlantic with comparable numbers of FBS level players. UVA is also okay with relaxing admission standards for athletes.
End of the day, I agree with you that he’s an 8-9 win coach consistently at NU. I guess I just see more parallels between he and BM than you do. We’ll see in 4-5 years

Rhule is not a “cant miss” hire, but he’s certainly a reasonably good one for Nebraska. He did do well at Temple and Baylor. He has ties to recruiting areas that they need to get into, like Texas. And he recruited well at prior stops. At the same time, his record against top 25 teams isn’t good and his prior teams feasted on some bad conference opponents and soft OOC schedules providing a bit of puffery in the W/L column. Overall, it’s hard to argue that Rhule isn’t a good hire, with many considering him to be among the best available candidates. Of course, I hope he fails miserably.

I saw he’s 0-9 vs ranked opponents and his best recruiting class was 29th, w 39th and 40th his other two classes at Baylor.

He’s a program builder who has never stayed around to prove he can sustain success. IMO, he’s a bit of an unknown for what Nebraska wants him to be. He could end up being great, or he could be a rich man’s Mike MacIntyre

Edit: And to manhattan’s point about NIL, he also hasn’t proven he can manage a program in the NIL era
I hate Nebraska as much as anyone, but I can pretty much guarantee that CU won’t hire a coach as good as Rhule.

Back