What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Nubs are a top 5-10 fan base in the country, plenty of money, unlimited resources from the school and no competing sports interests.

I think you are way off here
You think they have more resources than Ohio State? Michigan? Penn State? Wisconsin? even Michigan State? No, they don't. Even Iowa, Illinois and some others have significant resources.

Nubs have a fanatical fans base but it isn't bigger or with more resources than those others.

You think they have more resources than Ohio State? Michigan? Penn State? Wisconsin? even Michigan State? No, they don't. Even Iowa, Illinois and some others have significant resources.

Nubs have a fanatical fans base but it isn't bigger or with more resources than those others.
I would put the Nubs second or maybe tied for third on that list

The Nebraska donors have more money then you seem to think
I would put the Nubs second or maybe tied for third on that list
They are willing to put the money out but the point is that no they aren't going to just spend their way back to prominence. I wouldn't put them close to third on the list but they do put money in.

The point is though that they aren't the only school paying NIL. Even if they are ahead of some of the others on that list it isn't by much and those other schools have a lot more of the other kinds of success that gets kids attention.

Bottom line is that the right coach could make them better but they aren't going to be planting themselves at the top of the B1G, just not going to happen.

Their fans still think they are one of the elite programs, they aren't, and they aren't going to be.

They are willing to put the money out but the point is that no they aren't going to just spend their way back to prominence. I wouldn't put them close to third on the list but they do put money in.

The point is though that they aren't the only school paying NIL. Even if they are ahead of some of the others on that list it isn't by much and those other schools have a lot more of the other kinds of success that gets kids attention.

Bottom line is that the right coach could make them better but they aren't going to be planting themselves at the top of the B1G, just not going to happen.

Their fans still think they are one of the elite programs, they aren't, and they aren't going to be.
I think we just fundamentally disagree about the potential at Nub U.

Rhule and Urban Meyer are next level douche bags-assholes. Terrible for NFL, perfect for college. Great hire for Nebraska, unfortunately

The Nebraska donors have more money then you seem to think
There is a crap ton of money available to the Nubs if they all decide to go all in. They are building a new football building, and if they can figure out the NIL, they could essentially be a minor league pro team. Does anyone want to really come to Lincoln if they don't have to, NO, but if you are essentially being paid to come, then so be it. The new NIL stuff worries me when it comes to Nebraska coming back to life

Last edited:
Nebraska fed their players animal growth hormones. They will stop at nothing to be relevant.

This is a really disingenuous way to present his record - 20-7 his last two years at Temple, 18-9 his last two at Baylor but last season was 11-3.
I saw he’s 0-9 vs ranked opponents and his best recruiting class was 29th, w 39th and 40th his other two classes at Baylor.

He’s a program builder who has never stayed around to prove he can sustain success. IMO, he’s a bit of an unknown for what Nebraska wants him to be. He could end up being great, or he could be a rich man’s Mike MacIntyre

Edit: And to manhattan’s point about NIL, he also hasn’t proven he can manage a program in the NIL era

Last edited:
And his record against .500 teams?
How many were in the first few years when he was rebuilding the roster?

I'll also add his 3 losses in 2019 at Baylor came to OU (10th and 6th) and Georgia (5th) and played in the Sugsr Bowl. If CU hired Rhule this narrative wouldn't be talked about.

Kiffin staying at Ole Miss and Auburn hiring Hugh Freeze would be great at ensuring no new P5 opening there.

I saw he’s 0-9 vs ranked opponents and his best recruiting class was 29th, w 39th and 40th his other two classes at Baylor.

He’s a program builder who has never stayed around to prove he can sustain success. IMO, he’s a bit of an unknown for what Nebraska wants him to be. He could end up being great, or he could be a rich man’s Mike MacIntyre

Edit: And to manhattan’s point about NIL, he also hasn’t proven he can manage a program in the NIL era
If CU hired a coach who went 1-11 to 11-3 and the Sugar Bowl people would be estatic - think this is coming out because of who he is going to.

Also means Thamel has leaked info on Nebraska and Auburn in the last 24 hours. We must be next

That’s a straw argument.

If CU hired a coach who went 1-11 to 11-3 and the Sugar Bowl people would be estatic - think this is coming out because of who he is going to.
There’s a difference between CU and a program that believes they are a blue blood.

Also, mostly pointing out the parallels between Ruhle and Bronco and how there’s an argument to be made that Bronco has a better resume

47-43 career college record. 1-2 in bowl games. 11-36 in his career vs teams .500 or better
I mean, he took over a very bad Temple program and made them pretty good, so his record is going to look pretty bad. He did the same for Bailer. Agree that there are question marks around his ability to win championships, but that’s not what I said he’d do for them. 8-9 wins is very realistic for him at that job.

How so? Just facts
Because that wasn’t my argument. My argument was that Mendenhall isn’t the kind of coach you want in the NIL era because he’s not a good recruiter.

As for Rhule, he was a good enough recruiter to rebuild Bailer. I never said he’d win championships at Nebraska. 8-9 wins in a weaker B1G West and a cupcake OOC schedule? I think that’s very doable.

I mean, he took over a very bad Temple program and made them pretty good, so his record is going to look pretty bad. He did the same for Bailer. Agree that there are question marks around his ability to win championships, but that’s not what I said he’d do for them. 8-9 wins is very realistic for him at that job.
I actually agree with you here but think you’re being disingenuous if you can’t see the parallels between Rhule at Baylor and Bronco at UVA

There’s a difference between CU and a program that believes they are a blue blood.

Also, mostly pointing out the parallels between Ruhle and Bronco and how there’s an argument to be made that Bronco has a better resume
But that success at Baylor would be the best at NU since Osbourne

Because that wasn’t my argument. My argument was that Mendenhall isn’t the kind of coach you want in the NIL era because he’s not a good recruiter.

As for Rhule, he was a good enough recruiter to rebuild Bailer. I never said he’d win championships at Nebraska. 8-9 wins in a weaker B1G West and a cupcake OOC schedule? I think that’s very doable.
I showed you his recruiting rankings at Baylor. Mediocre at best in the hotbed of CFB recruiting. There is no evidence that suggests Rhule is a great recruiter or that he can run an elite recruiting operation in the NIL era

But that success at Baylor would be the best at NU since Osbourne
No. They had more success under Solich and similar success under Pelini. There is no evidence that Rhule is going to be better than that.

That said, Rhule would have been a home run hire for CU, and IMO, a better fit here than at Nebraska.

Back