What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

He didn’t realize the work that has to go into succeeding at HBCU I’m guessing, which makes what Prime did at JSU that much more remarkable

I don't know the whole backstory other than the gist of what nik posted in another thread, but yea sounds like maybe Reed thought he would be able to just come in and be given what he needs to succed with minimal effort based on his name alone.

Coach Prime referenced by Reed in his presser and you'll find CP in the comments giving his support and saying he's there for him.

Some of you might disagree because Reed's cursing, emotions on his sleeve and outspokenness is a combo that's going to cause some missteps and rub people the wrong way... but I'd be over the moon happy if CP could find a role for Reed on the CU staff. The thing that stood out to me more than anything in that presser video is that he just wants to help kids and could not / would not get along with adults who put their own agendas in front of the kids. I want a guy like that in my program. Doubly so when the guy was one of the most dominant players of his era on elite defenses and both a CFB national champion & Super Bowl champion.

Go go to about 10:50 of the video and you'll be just ahead of when Coach Prime joins by video chat and shares his love and wisdom with Coach Reed.

Hot take: the constant churn in Bama assistants and, now, players is going to cause Saban to throw in the towel in the next 18 months.
He’s 71 years old. While he seems to be pretty healthy and active, at a certain point the years start to catch up with you. He could come to the conclusion that the changes in the college football landscape are more than he wants to deal with.

or he will coach until he’s 80, like Bobby Bowden did.

It'd be a real shame to see the greatest CFB coach of all time take his ball and go home because he lost a little bit of the competitive advantage he has enjoyed pretty much his entire career.
If there is one guy who has shown he can adjust, it's Saban. However, with his age and the wild west that is college football, he may hang it up earlier than he'd like.

Kind of feels like O'Brien was encouraged to look for other employment options. Not sure Bama is weeping to see him go.
O'Brien and Belichick are very close. Whether true or not, O'Brien is taking the Patriots OC job 100 out of 100 times over the Alabama OC job.

Coach Prime referenced by Reed in his presser and you'll find CP in the comments giving his support and saying he's there for him.

Some of you might disagree because Reed's cursing, emotions on his sleeve and outspokenness is a combo that's going to cause some missteps and rub people the wrong way... but I'd be over the moon happy if CP could find a role for Reed on the CU staff. The thing that stood out to me more than anything in that presser video is that he just wants to help kids and could not / would not get along with adults who put their own agendas in front of the kids. I want a guy like that in my program. Doubly so when the guy was one of the most dominant players of his era on elite defenses and both a CFB national champion & Super Bowl champion.

In 2023 you CANNOT show anger during a time of conflict. You automatically lose. Stay calm and make your points firmly but without anger.
He likely will not get another chance to coach which is sad because Coach Prime has shown the paths for charismatic Ex-NFL players to enter the coaching profession.
Guys like Ed Reed could have a tremendous impact on young men, but they have to play the game.

Alabama replacing both coordinators this year. Excellent hot board for both Assistants.

OC - Joe Brady, Jeff Lebby, Derek Dooley, Brian Johnson, Kliff Kingsbury, Dan Mullen, Jeff Scott, Greg Roman

DC - Geoff Collins, Todd Grantham, Jimmy Lake, Jim Leonhard, Jeremy Pruitt

In 2023 you CANNOT show anger during a time of conflict. You automatically lose. Stay calm and make your points firmly but without anger.
He likely will not get another chance to coach which is sad because Coach Prime has shown the paths for charismatic Ex-NFL players to enter the coaching profession.
Guys like Ed Reed could have a tremendous impact on young men, but they have to play the game.
He can get a job like he had at Miami, but he's not getting hired as a HC any time soon.

He’s 71 years old. While he seems to be pretty healthy and active, at a certain point the years start to catch up with you. He could come to the conclusion that the changes in the college football landscape are more than he wants to deal with.

or he will coach until he’s 80, like Bobby Bowden did.
I think Saban will try to get one more natty and shut it down. It probably just comes down to how he feels health wise and if he's satisfied with what he's already done. He'll always be a competitor, that's just who he is.

He was fired because he hurt Reggie Theus' precious feelings and criticized him directly. I think Reed will get another shot if he wants it. Ultimately, what did he do? He yelled and cursed on IG. Meanwhile Bobby petrino and Hugh freeze are getting high profile jobs.

He was fired because he hurt Reggie Theus' precious feelings and criticized him directly. I think Reed will get another shot if he wants it. Ultimately, what did he do? He yelled and cursed on IG. Meanwhile Bobby petrino and Hugh freeze are getting high profile jobs.
In 2023 you will be forgiven for sexual misconduct, as long as it was consensual. You will NOT be forgiven for calling out your leadership publicly and with anger.

I’m not saying it should be that way but I am saying that it is that way.

He wasn't fired from what I understand. It sounds like the board of trustees did not ratify his contract. You can't be fired if you never had a signed contract. What they had was an agreement in principal, but it sounds like the President didn't like some of the guarantees for facilities improvements and support.

Edit: Statement from the President "Still, as we continued to observe him, we felt that his behavior was not aligned with the traditions of our founder Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, and the university." So, they were pissed that he cussed and called them out for the trash and garbage and general disrepair of the campus. Lesson learned for him, have a signed agreement that includes a breakup clause if the final contract isn't ratified. Man worked for nearly a month and wont get paid for it.

Last edited:

Is this the number we’ll need for a prime extension?

Eventually, but not after year one, IMO, unless he greatly outperforms the 5-6 win expectation.

Like Heupel, I think the big raise for Prime and his staff comes after year two, depending on the success CU has. I also think that number for Prime is $10m after year two if he has Heupel-like success.

He wasn't fired from what I understand. It sounds like the board of trustees did not ratify his contract. You can't be fired if you never had a signed contract. What they had was an agreement in principal, but it sounds like the President didn't like some of the guarantees for facilities improvements and support.

Edit: Statement from the President "Still, as we continued to observe him, we felt that his behavior was not aligned with the traditions of our founder Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, and the university." So, they were pissed that he cussed and called them out for the trash and garbage and general disrepair of the campus. Lesson learned for him, have a signed agreement that includes a breakup clause if the final contract isn't ratified. Man worked for nearly a month and wont get paid for it.
Sorry, I called it a firing because that's what it looked like even if that's not what it was technically.

Back