What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 NIT Tournament Thread - MEN'S Bball (1st round- #4 seed Buffs hosting St. Bonaventure, Boulder; Tues., March 15, 9:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

You b-walkin mother****er
cheeky GIF

Random musings from last night:
1) Don't freak out, but this was a game where we could've really used Lovering. I think having him occupy Osunniyi at times would have opened things up for Walker and Battey inside.
2) This is also a game where we could've really used Parquet's experience and grit against their experienced guards. Our young guards were undersized and a bit overwhelmed by them last night.
3) Walker isn't quite ready for the NBA. As much as scouts will look at all his double double games, they will look at this one and point to him going dark against longer, more athletic opposition. The NBA is full of guys built like Osunniyi, but 100x more talented.
4) Call it bitching, but when officiating crews miss 4-5 blatant calls every damn night, you have to wonder when the conference will realize there are problems. And it's not just a CU issue. There were plenty of awful calls against our opponents this year as well.
5) The Bonnies could've been the biggest bunch of pricks we've seen come through here in a long time. They're going to fall off a cliff next year when they lose 95% of their off/def production, and I for one will be watching from afar with glee.
6) We need a different S&C program for our guys. We'll see what we look like next pre-season, but whoever is overseeing that program better get their a$$ in gear starting today.
7) Some people are freaking out about next year after one game, but we'll be fine. I do now think we need to pick up a bigger off guard and of course, another big whether Jabari leaves or not.

24 wins in 2022-2023 is a guarantee. Go Buffs.

You know, I hadn't really thought of the strength issue until now but you're right. Our entire team is slight of frame. Case and point this year was Lovering (yes, I know he's young for his age and needs time to bulk up). You could see that he had great footwork, good passing ability, and a nice skillset. He just couldn't physically play inside at this level.

Walker is good enough for the G League and a potential 2-way contract. If he has teams telling him he's a first rounder then he's gone, and we should all wish him well.
The two mocks I saw didn’t show him drafted in either round. Anyone suggesting he’s a 1st rd pick this year?

Evan Battey is not slight of frame. Maybe the other guys, but let’s not lump him into that group.

Tad gave way too much burn to Hammond. Key and KJ should be on the floor. Hammond dribbles to one side, gets doubled and is forced to throw it outside of the offense consistently. He also gets out of position to low, allowing other teams to run on a missed shot or turnover. When you have two playmakers and scorers on the bench for the first 1/4 of the first half and another 1/4 of the second half, things happen like losing games at home that you should win. Hammond plays well for a freshman, but to play him in critical minutes while benching better players is ridiculous.

The two mocks I saw didn’t show him drafted in either round. Anyone suggesting he’s a 1st rd pick this year?
Most of what I currently see is Mid second. But definitely drafted. He's 49 on Sam Vecenie's big board. Tad's also has a history of players blowing up in the predraft process. Spencer, George King, Derick White, heck even Kin last year all improved their stock from year end to the draft by impressive performances at the portsmith invitational, combine, workouts, etc.

Walker is good enough for the G League and a potential 2-way contract. If he has teams telling him he's a first rounder then he's gone, and we should all wish him well.
Yep. Where most people are missing the mark on this topic is they're focused on whether a player is "ready for the NBA". That's not relevant. The consideration is whether a guy is "talented enough with the athleticism and measurables to be draftable". Staying in college an additional year only seems to be helpful if a guy needs to prove his talent by becoming a featured guy after having been a role player.

Yep. Where most people are missing the mark on this topic is they're focused on whether a player is "ready for the NBA". That's not relevant. The consideration is whether a guy is "talented enough with the athleticism and measurables to be draftable". Staying in college an additional year only seems to be helpful if a guy needs to prove his talent by becoming a featured guy after having been a role player.

During the Pac 12 tournament, one of the game announcers said that Walker could raise his stock by coming back another year and shooting a better percentage from 3. Dude, the NBA would rather you work on your shot while riding one of their benches or in the G league.

True, but if he stays a year and even puts up just slightly better stats next year he's a Top 12 pick. Biiiiiiiiig difference in money between the 2 scenarios.
The issue with this is age. Luckily Jabari is young for his grade July 30th 2002 bday so he's 19. He'd be almost 20 by this year's NBA draft and almost 21 by next years.

2022 draft: Two projected players in lottery that are 21 on draft night
Keegan Murray Iowa -21
Ochai Ogbaji Kansas - 22

2021 draft:
Davion Mitchell Baylor- 22
Chris Duarte Oregon -23
Corey Kispert Gonzaga- 22

Obi Toppin Dayton- 22

Is Jabari one of 1-3 players in the nation next year at his age to make it in the lottery? He's risking more money staying.

During the Pac 12 tournament, one of the game announcers said that Walker could raise his stock by coming back another year and shooting a better percentage from 3. Dude, the NBA would rather you work on your shot while riding one of their benches or in the G league.
Bad take by the announcer. McClain, who actually knows what he's talking about, said during the P12T that there's nothing to fix with his form & he's shown he has the range, so NBA scouts won't be concerned with his lower 3% as a sophomore. I think that may have been in response to a comment by the play-by-play guy that you're remembering.

Bad take by the announcer. McClain, who actually knows what he's talking about, said during the P12T that there's nothing to fix with his form & he's shown he has the range, so NBA scouts won't be concerned with his lower 3% as a sophomore. I think that may have been in response to a comment by the play-by-play guy that you're remembering.
I remember that. Plus he shot very well from 3 in the 2d half of the season.

The issue with this is age. Luckily Jabari is young for his grade July 30th 2002 bday so he's 19. He'd be almost 20 by this year's NBA draft and almost 21 by next years.

2022 draft: Two projected players in lottery that are 21 on draft night
Keegan Murray Iowa -21
Ochai Ogbaji Kansas - 22

2021 draft:
Davion Mitchell Baylor- 22
Chris Duarte Oregon -23
Corey Kispert Gonzaga- 22

Obi Toppin Dayton- 22

Is Jabari one of 1-3 players in the nation next year at his age to make it in the lottery? He's risking more money staying.
Yep. Older players are generally more valued by good teams picking at the end of the round because they need guys who can contribute right away while their window is open.

The Nuggs, for example, have no need to add a developmental guy to their roster. Only way they'd do that would be if they could stash him & his rights in Europe for a couple years with a guy who was already under a pro contract there.

Still pissed at the less than stellar effort exhibited by the Buffs! I believed we were worthy of an NCAA bid and still do. But the NIT loss at home makes us look like schmucks.

Still pissed at the less than stellar effort exhibited by the Buffs! I believed we were worthy of an NCAA bid and still do. But the NIT loss at home makes us look like schmucks.
as a sports fan, I've always felt that the NIT champion is the only team who has a legitimate bitch about being snubbed by the NCAA selection committee.

Keep in mind, there's a lot of NIT teams who are absolutely better than several NCAA tournament teams. The Bonnie's and Buffs are a lot better than say...Longwood.

NIT is much more about which of the good teams are motivated than it is a measure of the actual best teams in that field.
That’s what was frustrating about that loss. We didn’t seem motivated and I expected that we would be.

This isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of the Colorado men’s basketball team or its coach.
I guess. But I've seen a lot of teams over the years that were kind of burnt out after the disappointment of not making the NCAAs & HOF coaches who had bad NIT appearances. I posted that as an observation which I wasn't putting any feelings of judgment behind. <shrug>

Keep in mind, there's a lot of NIT teams who are absolutely better than several NCAA tournament teams. The Bonnie's and Buffs are a lot better than say...Longwood.
Sure-but moments like St Peter's beating Kentucky (John Calipari's salary is almost as big as St. Peters' AD's budget) make up for those games.

I guess. But I've seen a lot of teams over the years that were kind of burnt out after the disappointment of not making the NCAAs & HOF coaches who had bad NIT appearances. I posted that as an observation which I wasn't putting any feelings of judgment behind. <shrug>
Coaches get paid a lot of money to recruit, design plays, hire assistants, etc. One of the biggest components underpinning the entirety if their job is motivating people. Whenever I hear that a team lost because the coach was unable to motivate their team in a tournament game, that puts a major black mark on the season.

Coaches get paid a lot of money to recruit, design plays, hire assistants, etc. One of the biggest components underpinning the entirety if their job is motivating people. Whenever I hear that a team lost because the coach was unable to motivate their team in a tournament game, that puts a major black mark on the season.
18-22 year olds are very difficult to motivate consistently. It’s a large part of why March Madness is so fun.

Back