What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Univ of Nevada QB Millen follow Norvell to CSU just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
A fan base shouldn't see it's entire coaching staff leave AND it's best players follow. It's too easy now.

I know there's a lot of passionate folks on here who equivocate that if the coach can leave, why not the player?

I think there's a difference between players and coaches. I'm fine with players having some consequences for transferring, and generally that would be 1 year sit out if transferring to a school at the same level. No sitout for a kid transferring up or down in divisions. 1 transfer per career - use wisely.

You're getting a free education and rules are needed to maintain some semblance of hope for the have-nots.

Seeing Univ of Nevada QB Millen follow Norvell to CSU just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
A fan base shouldn't see it's entire coaching staff leave AND it's best players follow. It's too easy now.

I know there's a lot of passionate folks on here who equivocate that if the coach can leave, why not the player?

I think there's a difference between players and coaches. I'm fine with players having some consequences for transferring, and generally that would be 1 year sit out if transferring to a school at the same level. No sitout for a kid transferring up or down in divisions. 1 transfer per career - use wisely.

You're getting a free education and rules are needed to maintain some semblance of hope for the have-nots.
What's good for the sport is not aligned with what's fair & equitable for the players. I have a lot of posts supporting player's rights and also a lot of posts about how we're killing the sport I love. I stand behind both opinions

What's good for the sport is not aligned with what's fair & equitable for the players. I have a lot of posts supporting player's rights and also a lot of posts about how we're killing the sport I love. I stand behind both opinions
This.

There can be a lot of cognitive dissonance, but like many things in our world there is no one solution that is best for everyone.

We do have to balance what is good for the long term viability of the sport, what is good for the schools, and what is good for the players. It's disingenuous to act as if those things could never be in conflict.

I would also note that for a very, very long time the players have been in last place when there is any conflict of interest.

I'm ok with them not coming in last for a while.

Last edited:
Money or not, Rattler is a mercenary by definition. He's transferring to start somewhere next year, put together an audition tape, and improve on his possible 6th or 7th round NFL Draft position. It would be a surprise if he learned the fight song or spent any time on campus other than for football-related activities.
FIFY......

I think you are talking about Sam Huard, 5-star freshman. He attempted 3 passes at UW.

Yep, except that is incorrect. He had three rushing attempts, that is where he didn’t throw the ball. He had 22 completions on 42 passing attempts, 52% completion percentage (math), 1 TD and 4 INT. He started the game against WSU.

Dude. He did come into this season as the Heisman frontrunnner, then went undefeated while completing 70% of his passes... and got benched.

I don't know if he's got the "it" you want and wish he was a couple inches taller, but he's gonna get drafted pretty damn high.
We will see how it all works out.....

Is he not very good then?
go back to then GIF

What you mention are all certainly headwinds, but we are looking at “start now” talent for CU, which is hardly the same across the power 5 conferences. There may be less than 10 programs in the P5 that offer the same depth chart opportunity as CU. And remember, this kid isn’t looking at the next school as a home. He’ll be on campus maybe nine months. Winning and losing really doesn’t matter all that much. He wants to showcase himself against P5 defensive lines. Right now, he can say he was a three year starter at East Tennessee State and was all-conference, but there will always be those doubts about the lower tier competition.

What can CU sell?
>very appealing depth chart
>strong competition against TCU, Minnesota, USC, UCLA, to showcase yourself
>power 5 strength and conditioning program run by Shannon Turley who helped a lot of Stanford linemen make the NFL
>head coach that was a long time NFL assistant

If other P5 schools get in the mix, they may offer something more appealing. They would also likely negatively recruit against CU based on the staff uncertainty.

Or CU could just give up and not recruit hard ‘cause we may get tuned down.
None of that matters. We have the Flatirons.

I would postulate that a system that lacks competitive play ultimately end up as a system that becomes economically not viable or At least challenging. If that were to result in less scholarships, how would that be equitable? No one requires players to participate in the system. Why is it unfair to a player who will be getting $50,000 a year in education plus whatever other benefits, to adhere to a system that requires them to stick with their commitment to the school Or simply sit out one year if they decide to transfer? If you don’t preserve competitive play, you have no system.

I think a lot of programs are likely to drop football down the road. It’s gonna take a while for all of this to settle In. But eventually, Fans will realize that they have no hope and they will move on

Last edited:
I would postulate that a system that lacks competitive play ultimately end up as a system that becomes economically not viable or At least challenging. If that were to result in less scholarships, how would that be equitable? No one requires players to participate in the system. Why is it unfair to a player who will be getting $50,000 a year in education plus whatever other benefits, to adhere to a system that requires them to stick with their commitment to the school Or simply sit out one year if they decide to transfer? If you don’t preserve competitive play, you have no system.

I think a lot of programs are likely to drop football down the road. It’s gonna take a while for all of this to settle In. But eventually, Fans will realize that they have no hope and they will move on
I do think that schools will drop football and focus on the sports that best market to the kids they are trying to attract. The DU model, I think, will make sense for a lot of schools.

That's because most of the athletes who are good enough to be wanted by P5 programs believe that they are only going to college to get training & exposure for their future career in the NFL. They're not signing to go to school.

Sadly, I think we all know where this leads. Most pro athletes are pretty much out of money shortly after their careers end. It will be that much worse when they're at a less mature age and being paid in the tens of thousands instead of in the millions.

I wish we could find a way to go to a system where college athletes got paid but it was put in an interest-bearing escrow account they couldn't touch until their eligibility & amateur status expired. Then the cash would all be there as they finished their degrees and got started in life. Instead, we're going to ruin most of them with something that was supposed to benefit them.

That's because most of the athletes who are good enough to be wanted by P5 programs believe that they are only going to college to get training & exposure for their future career in the NFL. They're not signing to go to school.

Sadly, I think we all know where this leads. Most pro athletes are pretty much out of money shortly after their careers end. It will be that much worse when they're at a less mature age and being paid in the tens of thousands instead of in the millions.

I wish we could find a way to go to a system where college athletes got paid but it was put in an interest-bearing escrow account they couldn't touch until their eligibility & amateur status expired. Then the cash would all be there as they finished their degrees and got started in life. Instead, we're going to ruin most of them with something that was supposed to benefit them.
Not to get too political but we don’t do that for any non-athletes who get a job out of high school or college. Why should college football and basketball players be unique? They’re legally adults and working. They’ve earned the money and should be able to use it.

Last edited:
I do think that schools will drop football and focus on the sports that best market to the kids they are trying to attract. The DU model, I think, will make sense for a lot of schools.
I am sure you don’t mean it that way but there’s a pretty significant racial undertone in that statement.

I'm taking much further than I suspect you intended, but it's almost as if you're suggesting the legal age for becoming an adult should be raised above 18.

Maybe the solution is for the NFL to set up a farm system. I have a feeling these organized blanket NIL funds are going to get some Title IX suits because they are not far enough removed from the schools themselves.
NFL basically tried that with NFL Europe and the World League. I suspect it failed because the market for American football outside of North America just isn't there. I'm sure a farm league would fare better in the US, but it would also be competing w/ CFB, and I'm not convinced there's enough TAM for that, even if this farm league plays off-season wrt NFL (see Arena Football, XFL, USFL).

Not to get too political but we don’t do that for any non-athletes who get a job out of high school or college. Why should college football and basketball players be unique? They’re legally adults and working. They’ve earned the money and should be able to use it.
As I understood things, in order to protect amateur status and some of the things which go with that while still being able to pay players, the way to do that would be to not actually pay them a salary for playing while they were playing. NIL is separate from that since it's endorsement money outside of athletic department control.

But it seems to me that the NIL programs are being coordinated and even administrated by the schools in order to make sure they're able to offer the best possible deals to athletes they are recruiting. That's not what the program was supposed to cause (although anyone with half a brain should have anticipated this) and we're seeing warnings already about NCAA violations such as with the Texas boosters endowing NIL payments through a new 501(c)3 to anyone who signs at UT as an offensive lineman.

Anyway, it's not like a normal job in so many ways that it's a challenge to pick and choose which rules apply and which don't. For instance, is it now ok if I'm a proud alum of my high school if I work out a deal where I'll pay athletes who transfer there?

Social Security for athletes wouldn't be a bad idea.
obviously US athletes already qualify for SS. I assume you're suggesting something more like a 401k structured specifically for professional athletes? That seems like a really good idea and I'd be a little surprised if someone hasn't already tried it.

obviously US athletes already qualify for SS. I assume you're suggesting something more like a 401k structured specifically for professional athletes? That seems like a really good idea and I'd be a little surprised if someone hasn't already tried it.
the mandatory part is where it differs from a 401k. But it would have to be privately managed.

As I understood things, in order to protect amateur status and some of the things which go with that while still being able to pay players, the way to do that would be to not actually pay them a salary for playing while they were playing. NIL is separate from that since it's endorsement money outside of athletic department control.

But it seems to me that the NIL programs are being coordinated and even administrated by the schools in order to make sure they're able to offer the best possible deals to athletes they are recruiting. That's not what the program was supposed to cause (although anyone with half a brain should have anticipated this) and we're seeing warnings already about NCAA violations such as with the Texas boosters endowing NIL payments through a new 501(c)3 to anyone who signs at UT as an offensive lineman.

Anyway, it's not like a normal job in so many ways that it's a challenge to pick and choose which rules apply and which don't. For instance, is it now ok if I'm a proud alum of my high school if I work out a deal where I'll pay athletes who transfer there?
Jeremy Bloom (and many other Olympic athletes) earn endorsement money as 18-21 year olds. Should we step in and administer that? It’s pretty much the same “job” as a college athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back