What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
As @manhattanbuff points out, he was already paying players but, beyond that, we were all ok with him spending millions on facilities at Oregon to attract players but not with him actually paying them directly.

I think the real change is that many fans like having plausible deniability when it comes to how college sports really work. Now they can't pretend that there's some pure version of college football where schools care about the student athlete beyond what they are worth to the bottom line.
Yeah, sure Phil was paying players but not like he can now. Nike is a public company and they can now hire players as "advertising expense". Above board, on the income statement, no reason to be cryptic. Nike has a giant advertising budget.

Before, Phil had to shuttle cash under the table stuffed inside of shoes and frankly, if it was big money, it would have gotten out.
Why? Because kids can't hide wealth. They'd have been caught even by the incompetent NCAA.
I've seen it first hand.

This was mice nuts compared to what's happening right now.

But I don't understand why that matters in how we approach the players and the money they earn. If the money comes from what is essentially a recruiting budget it is somehow different than it coming form EASports or the local auto dealership? Is there a dollar amount above which we don't trust the players to handle their money and should impose some sort of money management scheme (which will inevitably enrich the people managing the money at the expense of the players).

Honestly, I'm fine with the NIL deals being used as recruiting incentives. It's taking something that already exists in the shadows and brings it out in the open.
On some levels I'm fine with it.

I think, though, that what we're seeing is that government, legal and university administrators were not capable of anticipating consequences of deregulation from the reactions of aggressive monied interests (or, in many cases, worrying about consequences either wasn't their job or the monied interests were in their pockets & drove the new rules).

In short, the landscape has been drastically altered in ways the NCAA & the majority of its members & its fans do not want so we're about to see challenges, backlash and restructuring.

Can’t spell analogies without anal. Some people are easily triggered.

cannoli GIF

The nation's top free agent in college football, former LSU cornerback Elias Ricks has announced where he will be taking his talents after a short stint in the NCAA Transfer Portal.

According to his social media feeds, Ricks will be finishing his collegiate career at Alabama under Nick Saban.

I think that the marketplace will soon decide that college football just isn’t as fun as it used to be.

I do think the “amateur” nature of the sport, although exploitive, made it entertaining. It will be interesting to see if it is sustainable. My guess is no.
The amateur nature of the sport was the primary draw for a huge chunk of fans, along with the association to a University. CU will never compete in this NIL world. No OL should choose CU over Texas when Texas is gonna chip in an extra 100k in BS NIL.

I don’t know what the answer is, but CU is ****ed.

The amateur nature of the sport was the primary draw for a huge chunk of fans, along with the association to a University. CU will never compete in this NIL world. No OL should choose CU over Texas when Texas is gonna chip in an extra 100k in BS NIL.

I agree. I hope we are wrong.

We are ****ed regardless.

I still get mad about it sometimes, but I've mostly just accepted it. We suck. This program sucks. I honestly can't come up with a single reason as to why CU will ever be competitive on a national stage again. It pains me a lot to say it but lets look at the significant hurdles we have to get through...

1. We are at a significant disadvantage recruiting. Colorado is a talent poor state that is filled with transplants that support out of state teams. Even if kids do give us a serious look this this doesn't even get into point number two...

2. The Buffs have extremely poor brand. Most of the kids that we are recruiting weren't even alive the last time this program was nationally relevant. Out of the past 15 full seasons of college football we have been over 500 one time. We have played 10 full seasons in the Pac-12 and have been last or tied for last in the South seven of those years. The Pac-12 South is not a strong division. For a 17 year old kid...I don't think they see us at the level of Kansas, but I don't think they see us as much above that.

3. Lack of a true recruiting footprint. We spent years trying to recruit California and got bodied. Have we just given up on that? Here's a fun fact. We have been in the Pac since 2011. We have signed 2 top 50 recruits from California (Beau Bisharat, Shane Dillon) in that timespan. Seems like we've pivoted back to recruiting Texas. We actually do better there than in California, but we're not really winning battles against any of the in-state P5 schools.

4. Total lack of administrative support. Extremely tight ship with regards to recruiting violations, lack of funding so we have to cheap out on coaches, inability to bring in borderline qualifiers.

5. Largely apathetic fanbase that grows more apathetic by the year. Lack of big boosters willing to pump money into the program.

I honestly don't even know where to start making this program competitive again. We say that we need recruiters...I don't even know where we are going to recruit. I kinda wonder if we should just go all out on Texas, I don't know. I could easily see the next 15 years being no different from the last 15. I love the **** out of this team but it kinda feels to me like we're trying to right a ship that's already at the bottom of the ocean.

I think that the marketplace will soon decide that college football just isn’t as fun as it used to be.

I do think the “amateur” nature of the sport, although exploitive, made it entertaining. It will be interesting to see if it is sustainable. My guess is no.
I think that these two things are correlated, but NIL won't necessarily be the reason that college is not as fun as it used to be.

Maybe I'm just jaded because I'm a CU fan, but the problem (for me) is related to the playoff. Every year, there's realistically <10 schools with a real shot at the playoff, and most years there's 2-3 schools we know will be in the playoff before the season even starts, and the majority will be from the southeastern part of the country. There's also an accumulative effect, where the teams who get to the playoffs get more money and better recruits and then are more likely to make the playoffs. Moreover, the regular season games seem to mean less now. It's the right call to put Georgia into the playoff, but they lost their last game.

All of this combines so that it's becoming a largely regionalized sport where only the southeast truly matters.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and would care more if CU was even mildly relevant.

I think that these two things are correlated, but NIL won't necessarily be the reason that college is not as fun as it used to be.

Maybe I'm just jaded because I'm a CU fan, but the problem (for me) is related to the playoff. Every year, there's realistically <10 schools with a real shot at the playoff, and most years there's 2-3 schools we know will be in the playoff before the season even starts, and the majority will be from the southeastern part of the country. There's also an accumulative effect, where the teams who get to the playoffs get more money and better recruits and then are more likely to make the playoffs. Moreover, the regular season games seem to mean less now. It's the right call to put Georgia into the playoff, but they lost their last game.

All of this combines so that it's becoming a largely regionalized sport where only the southeast truly matters.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and would care more if CU was even mildly relevant.
I think you are right about all of this. Saban predicted this when they went to the 4 team playoff. I think a 12 team playoff my help but that seems like it is trouble at this point.

Combining the NIL with a 4 team playoff might be the death knell of CFB

I didn’t realize analogies offended people.
Over the past few days,via his posts I've come to notice that Big Jim doesn't seem to like when people call out when something might offend someone. Seems he preferred when you could say any outlandish thing and get away with it.

Over the past few days,via his posts I've come to notice that Big Jim doesn't seem to like when people call out when something might offend someone. Seems he preferred when you could say any outlandish thing and get away with it.

There is a middle ground. It used to be too far to the end of getting away with anything outlandish/offensive. Now it is too far to the end of people getting upset over the most minor of issues. I prefer the middle ground to radicalism on either end.

There is a middle ground. It used to be too far to the end of getting away with anything outlandish/offensive. Now it is too far to the end of people getting upset over the most minor of issues. I prefer the middle ground to radicalism on either end.
Fair response, I see where you're coming from.

Yes please. Tre’Mond Shorts was a three year starter for East Tennessee State at Left Tackle, received a ton of accolades, huge guy. Exactly the type of one year rental CU needs. Instant starter and gets a power five showcase for the NFL.
Tre’Mond now has a bunch of P5 offers.

Jim’s posts have confused me over the last week. Sometimes he’s levelheaded, sometimes he’s blasting off about us being soft while defending snowflake behavior, and other times he’s acting like a scorned lover. Oh well.

I love when the Transfer Portal string becomes a stream of ideals on internet responses during an important transfer time period.

I love when the Transfer Portal string becomes a stream of ideals on internet responses during an important transfer time period.
You go with what you have....at this point, fading hope, a cup of stale Pepsi and a cold corndog.

“Dorrell said they currently plan to add a total of seven players. The Buffaloes want to add another defensive lineman, an inside linebacker, a safety, and possibly another running back to compliment early signee Victor Venn.”
"Offensive line is probably the biggest position, maybe two more (offensive linemen) is important, so there's still some areas that we need to address the most in the second phase," he added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back