What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Average speed, average size, average across the board. Then again, we may not throw the ball much so will it really matter?
Just curious why folks are believing our WR corps is good to go as is? Our projected starting 3 are merely decent as a group, but beyond that the group is downright bleak. We need another legit P5 level starter in this group.
They lost Rice and gained Sneed. Rice probably has a higher ceiling, but Sneed was pretty good and productive for a good team.

Keith Miller wasn’t a loss and Shenault is now at Alabama State. WR is the least of this programs problem

They lost Rice and gained Sneed. Rice probably has a higher ceiling, but Sneed was pretty good and productive for a good team.

Keith Miller wasn’t a loss and Shenault is now at Alabama State. WR is the least of this programs problem
I guess we see things differently re: the starting group (merely decent), but you can't tell me the back up group isn't bleak. You just can't.

WR group went from a promising young strength that most teams in the P12 would like to have to just OK. Losing Rice & Stanley was mitigated somewhat by gaining Sneed, but not totally.

We could be OK this year, but good? That would take some jumps from the guys still in the program.

And none if it matters unless we field a competent OL and QB.

I guess we see things differently re: the starting group (merely decent), but you can't tell me the back up group isn't bleak. You just can't.
I like the some of the younger guys more than most. I think the incoming Freshman are going to be good and I like Penry and Mo Bell.
Ahh I forgot about Stanley. He was definitely a loss but not insurmountable, IMO. I think he’s an average P5 level WR.

I've touched on it before, the booster budgets aren't infinite. They're large, but when the top level programs begin to think that this might be costing them money because the boosters decide to cut out the middle man, aka the AD, and give their cash to the players directly there might indeed be some movement on this.

There will be some regulations but I don't know how effective they will or can be.
I think that's the main thing that will cause NCAA members to want things changed. For years, schools had their official, legit boosters who you'd see at AD events. Then you had your shadow boosters who funded the pay-for-players program but kept at arms length so the NCAA wouldn't bust the school for their activities.

Now, the legit boosters are having to decide if they should continue to donate to the AD or spend that money directly to a NIL fund for players. If the schools start having to cover AD budget shortfalls from reduced donations, these NCAA members will quickly force rules changes.

One result I imagine that might happen is when a recruit doesn't produce....will the boosters paying for the NIL quickly cancel and move on to the next kid?

One result I imagine that might happen is when a recruit doesn't produce....will the boosters paying for the NIL quickly cancel and move on to the next kid?
I think where the NCAA can step in is by ruling that NIL money cannot be tied to playing for a particular school. Things change quickly once a Bama booster has to honor a NIL deal after the guy transfers to Auburn.

I think that's the main thing that will cause NCAA members to want things changed. For years, schools had their official, legit boosters who you'd see at AD events. Then you had your shadow boosters who funded the pay-for-players program but kept at arms length so the NCAA wouldn't bust the school for their activities.

Now, the legit boosters are having to decide if they should continue to donate to the AD or spend that money directly to a NIL fund for players. If the schools start having to cover AD budget shortfalls from reduced donations, these NCAA members will quickly force rules changes.
Again though: how do you get around the actual law?

The highest court in the land has said that prohibiting boosters from directly playing players for their NIL is illegal.

Neither the NCAA nor its members can do jack **** about that until the law is changed.

Edit: just saw your last. I don't think the NCAA can effectively police it unless they actually allow in-season transfers. Booster makes their NIL contract year to year, done. You don't stay with Bama next year, the NIL contract isn't renewed.

I think where the NCAA can step in is by ruling that NIL money cannot be tied to playing for a particular school. Things change quickly once a Bama booster has to honor a NIL deal after the guy transfers to Auburn.
Nah, that’s easy to get around of said booster claims he no longer cares to pay for an Auburn player’s autograph

Again though: how do you get around the actual law?

The highest court in the land has said that prohibiting boosters from directly playing players for their NIL is illegal.

Neither the NCAA nor its members can do jack **** about that until the law is changed.
It's tricky since these universities rely on public funds for things like the general financial aid programs even when they're private.

But they've also got plenty of rules as NCAA members which somehow get around engaging in collusion, restraint of trade, etc. I think there's some ability to set rules & standards tied to being part of a membership group. Failing that, pro leagues get around some free market stuff by having players unionize so they have a party with which they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement. That's, for example, how they can prevent people below a certain age from entering their league - technically, those guys are actually not eligible to join the union which makes it so the league cannot employ them.

Anyway, I don't know but I'm doubtful that hands are completely tied if schools want regulation and limitations.

Sounds good in theory, but I don’t think that really works in reality. Remember this is a contract between the sponsor and the athlete. Either side can cancel the agreement. I also don’t believe the NCAA has any kind of authority to set those kinds of rules.

It's tricky since these universities rely on public funds for things like the general financial aid programs even when they're private.

But they've also got plenty of rules as NCAA members which somehow get around engaging in collusion, restraint of trade, etc. I think there's some ability to set rules & standards tied to being part of a membership group. Failing that, pro leagues get around some free market stuff by having players unionize so they have a party with which they can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement. That's, for example, how they can prevent people below a certain age from entering their league - technically, those guys are actually not eligible to join the union which makes it so the league cannot employ them.

Anyway, I don't know but I'm doubtful that hands are completely tied if schools want regulation and limitations.
A players union solves *a lot* of these issues.

But the political rhetoric around unions makes it hard for certain powerful people to admit that unions can be good for anything.

A players union solves *a lot* of these issues.

But the political rhetoric around unions makes it hard for certain powerful people to admit that unions can be good for anything.
There needs to be a singular entity for the union to negotiate with. That isn’t the case here.

There needs to be a singular entity for the union to negotiate with. That isn’t the case here.
what's the reasoning behind this assertion?

the NEA, the Teamsters, UAW, United Steelworkers, etc... all represent their members in negotiations with a number of different entities.

I don’t think that can work, for a number of reasons.

First, the fact that a player is on the local school’s team is going to be a large selling point for legitimate NIL deals. Let’s say Flatirons Subaru pays a star CU player to promote the business. If the player transfers to Nebraska, their value to a local business may be lower than zero. Since the local business is not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, the NCAA can’t force Flatirons to pay anyone. You might suggest that the NCAA require a standard form of contract to require payment if the player moves, however that kind of mandatory terms for a deal would create exactly the type of antitrust problem that the NCAA was trying to avoid in their new NIL policy. Also, many legit NIL deals are going to be short term with possible renewals. If I owned a business who wanted to use a CU player for publicity, I would want a short-term deal that we could jointly renew If advantageous, but not renew if it turned out to be worthless.

I like the some of the younger guys more than most. I think the incoming Freshman are going to be good and I like Penry and Mo Bell.

Ahh I forgot about Stanley. He was definitely a loss but not insurmountable, IMO. I think he’s an average P5 level WR.
And Carpenter. We lost 4 of the top 6 receivers on the team and we replaced them with 1 decent transfer. Maybe there are good young players, but outside of Penry, its all speculative, wishful thinking until one steps up.

I don’t think that can work, for a number of reasons.

First, the fact that a player is on the local school’s team is going to be a large selling point for legitimate NIL deals. Let’s say Flatirons Subaru pays a star CU player to promote the business. If the player transfers to Nebraska, their value to a local business may be lower than zero. Since the local business is not under the jurisdiction of the NCAA, the NCAA can’t force Flatirons to pay anyone. You might suggest that the NCAA require a standard form of contract to require payment if the player moves, however that kind of mandatory terms for a deal would create exactly the type of antitrust problem that the NCAA was trying to avoid in their new NIL policy. Also, many legit NIL deals are going to be short term with possible renewals. If I owned a business who wanted to use a CU player for publicity, I would want a short-term deal that we could jointly renew If advantageous, but not renew if it turned out to be worthless.
Maybe so. The limit to what the NCAA could impose is that schools couldn't facilitate those deals or use them as a recruiting tool.

The NCAA is dead. This will have to be born of another entity. There are more teams in the same situation as CU than are not. CU has plenty of revenue, although they have horrible execs managing it which creates a significant disadvantage. It is a more of a homegrown issue and bunch of excuses than anyone one involved with this program will admit. There are too many schools doing more with what CU has as far as resources go that there is only one reason we cannot compete. It starts with the chancellor and drives straight into the AD. Total and absolute incompetence.

what's the reasoning behind this assertion?

the NEA, the Teamsters, UAW, United Steelworkers, etc... all represent their members in negotiations with a number of different entities.
All the employees work at a single company, though. The UAW will represent all employees at GM in their negotiations with GM. With NIL, you could have 50 players making deals with 50 different sponsors, and that’s just on one football team at one school. You’d potentially have thousands of athletes working thousands of separate deals. Unworkable for a union to negotiate in that kind of environment.

I have made several suggestions on how the NCAA can reign this in without limiting the players. The regulations must target the schools and the boosters. First thing I would regulate would be to prevent schools from taking any donation or sponsorship from, or granting ticket rights to, any entity that has a direct deal with a player. Would also force schools to prohibit players from using the name of the school in any advertising they do. This would be to force NIL deals to be truly arms length.

All the employees work at a single company, though. The UAW will represent all employees at GM in their negotiations with GM. With NIL, you could have 50 players making deals with 50 different sponsors, and that’s just on one football team at one school. You’d potentially have thousands of athletes working thousands of separate deals. Unworkable for a union to negotiate in that kind of environment.
Except a union can limit outside employment by its members. You work for this list of employers who have agreed to pay you on this pay scale that we negotiated on your behalf. Some of you won't do as well individually, but as a group you will all do better.

Lotttttta sour grapes in this thread over the last 24 hours.

Instead of being pissed off at a student athlete doing what's best for them when they finally have some power in this sport, why not direct your ire at the institution that's willfully holding itself back? Looking at you, Phil D.
Why not both?

ahh, ok. gotcha. if that's the case, then conference-based player's unions would be the answer. the B1G Players Union, the Pac12 Players Union, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back