What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really.

Big programs are the ones who have always paid players - even when it was against the rules.
Big programs are the ones who started the practice of over-signing classes.
Big programs are the ones who built mega stadia to increase their higher game day take.
Big programs are the ones who created the “analyst” position to circumvent coaching limits.
Big programs have demanded unequal payouts on TV revenues, licensing deals, bowl appearances, and TV time slots.
Big programs are the ones who pioneered the recruiting schemes we see now using interns and low-tier wannabe coaches.

Big programs have always reveled in their built in advantages. They’ve worked to make those advantages even sturdier. They see other programs as pawns, not equals. They don’t even care about the health of the sport. They only care if they can secure more revenue and get more glory.
All of that is true. Hell, I had a family member part of the SMU scandal. They sure as hell weren't a ND, USC, or something like that until they started cheating. I learned about this later on when I got older. Trust me, they weren't just getting cash, all kinds of ****. Name it. It's always went on.

Exhausting. No coach wants to deal with that bull****. I think we’re going to see some prominent guys retire or jump the league over the next few years
The way these super leagues are raking in the money - it may be more lucrative to coach some college jobs. Kirby Smart is making more than Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. Crazy.

The way these super leagues are raking in the money - it may be more lucrative to coach some college jobs. Kirby Smart is making more than Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh. Crazy.
Yeah, there will always be guys who have it rolling at top and get paid enough to make it work, but the farm programs of CFB, that still pay $3-5m/year are going to lose guys I think

CFB coaches really have no offseason where NFL coaches have a fairly large offseason. College coaches are definitely raking it in, but I think with the transfer portal and NIL, this is going to take a massive toll on coaches that they haven't had to deal with before. Always worrying about every player all year is beyond exhausting

CFB coaches really have no offseason where NFL coaches have a fairly large offseason. College coaches are definitely raking it in, but I think with the transfer portal and NIL, this is going to take a massive toll on coaches that they haven't had to deal with before. Always worrying about every player all year is beyond exhausting
The NFL also has a GM and ops folks to worry about contracts and personnel matters. CFB HCs do it all.

I asked him yesterday. He said this week or next for an announcement
Im Waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Didnt the NCAA just lift the cap on coaches. You gotta figure teams with 80 scholarships will have 40 coaches soon.

A one to two ratio to keep tabs on players must be nice....

I wish the NCAA would just take away all sports scholarships in general, make it so kids don't have to go to class, and call them what they truly are now: employees.

Just pay everybody. There's no loyalty to schools anymore...you can transfer at any time and play again next season....so are players really looking for education? Nope. They want $$$. make it so, keep the scholarship money for scholars.

I wish the NCAA would just take away all sports scholarships in general, make it so kids don't have to go to class, and call them what they truly are now: employees.

Just pay everybody. There's no loyalty to schools anymore...you can transfer at any time and play again next season....so are players really looking for education? Nope. They want $$$. make it so, keep the scholarship money for scholars.
I think we get very close to this if/when the Power conferences split off from the NCAA and re-organize under the CFP.

Watching WSU makes me realize that if the right coach comes in and sells the right system to the right players (and probably has the right support from the university), it takes no time at all to build a team through the portal. (With the obvious caveat that WSU under Leach was light years better than we are now).

Since Bachmeier only played in four games this season, he’ll be able to count the year as a redshirt and get the year of eligibility back. Combined with the bonus COVID season, Bachmeier will have two years of eligibility remaining at his next school.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see quite a few transfers this week from CU players
Honestly I’d be encouraged if we had droves of players entering the portal. Something’s gotta push this into a nuclear enough situation that something actually happens, and apparently getting blown out by 30+ every week isn’t doing the trick.

I’d also like to see the full student body show up to the next game with paper bags over their heads, but that seems far less likely to happen than a ton of players bailing into the portal.

Since Bachmeier only played in four games this season, he’ll be able to count the year as a redshirt and get the year of eligibility back. Combined with the bonus COVID season, Bachmeier will have two years of eligibility remaining at his next school.
Dirk Koetter is back at BSU as their OC?

He was a very solid OC with a pretty impressive coaching tree.
No I’m just surprised he went back to BSU. It’s got to be a little strange having a former HC at the same program working under you when he’s 23 years older. And I don’t think Avalos and Koetter were at Boise at the same time before.

No I’m just surprised he went back to BSU. It’s got to be a little strange having a former HC at the same program working under you when he’s 23 years older. And I don’t think Avalos and Koetter were at Boise at the same time before.
I think he's been wanting to get back in the college game to set up a HC opportunity for a while. iirc, when Hawkins came back in 2010 on the hot seat and pretty much a lame duck, Koetter was in negotiations with CU to be our OC that year - but it didn't happen because he wanted a "Head Coach in Waiting" status with a promise he'd be promoted to HC if Hawkins was terminated.

I think he's been wanting to get back in the college game to set up a HC opportunity for a while. iirc, when Hawkins came back in 2010 on the hot seat and pretty much a lame duck, Koetter was in negotiations with CU to be our OC that year - but it didn't happen because he wanted a "Head Coach in Waiting" status with a promise he'd be promoted to HC if Hawkins was terminated.
At least in that scenario Hawkins would have been going back to a trusted coach he worked with before and doing it at another program. Avalos didn’t play for or work with Koetter. It would have been like Hawkins bringing in Gary Barnett as a coordinator in 2007.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see quite a few transfers this week from CU players
That is the next gut punch that could change things, but not sure there are more than 3-5 guys that have any sway on future destinations. Players are aware that there are not a lot of great locations to go and play and so many are just dropping down or out of football

Coaching in and of itself will take a toll on you. This stuff now, even more so. Same time, this isn't new. Now it's legal to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back