What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Colorado Football Schedule & Future Schedules

You get ratings by being good, fun to watch and playing marquee opponents. Even the blue bloods get relegated to their conference networks for 1/3 of their games because their matchups aren't intriguing. The entire football world wakes up early on Saturdays to get ready for tailgating and the onslaught of great games across all the different networks. An occasional Friday game is fine, but nobody is tuning into a CU vs Cal game on a Friday night just because it's the only thing on.
Everyone in this forum just told me a week 0 game against Arizona st is a good thing bc fans are starved for college football. People tune in for MACtion like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Look at our previous games on Friday nights. We’ve had good tv numbers despite us being terrible and not always playing the best teams. I’m just saying it would be a way to separate ourselves from every other school. Especially if you got a specific deal from a place like Amazon. As far as some people’s tailgate experiences who GAF. That doesn’t make this team any money

Let's not disparage the importance of tailgating and all that goes with the game day experience. Lots of folks pay a lot of money for tickets and parking while planning their family's Fall social calendar around CU home games. Even if certain game days and times may not impact you and make more money for the AD, that doesn't mean that it doesn't have significant negative impact on others here.

Let's not disparage the importance of tailgating and all that goes with the game day experience. Lots of folks pay a lot of money for tickets and parking while planning their family's Fall social calendar around CU home games. Even if certain game days and times may not impact you and make more money for the AD, that doesn't mean that it doesn't have significant negative impact on others here.
You’re also assuming the same fans won’t do the exact same thing for a Friday game? Wasn’t Folsom and the surrounding area packed for the TCU game? I know usc was away but pretty sure fans were still able to enjoy the “gameday experience”

anyway enough of the first talk, just my opinion

Everyone in this forum just told me a week 0 game against Arizona st is a good thing bc fans are starved for college football. People tune in for MACtion like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Look at our previous games on Friday nights. We’ve had good tv numbers despite us being terrible and not always playing the best teams. I’m just saying it would be a way to separate ourselves from every other school. Especially if you got a specific deal from a place like Amazon. As far as some people’s tailgate experiences who GAF. That doesn’t make this team any money
Did you honestly write, "People tune in for MACtion like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday nights?"

Bro...

First, yes, by the time August rolls around the football watching world is starved and would watch anything, which is why Week 0 makes sense.

Second, people do not tune in for MACtion like crazy. Typically bottom of the barrel every week for ratings with either ratings so small they don't even register on the weekly reports, up to 450k viewers for one or two matchups per year. Some of that is obviously attributable to the G5 and small programs playing in the games, and I would concede that P5 matchups would rate better. However, even the P5 matchups on Thursday and Friday nights typically don't exceed 1.5m viewers, which is fine, but not great.

You will have to define what "good TV numbers" are if you want to claim that CU has had them in the past on Friday nights. There are obviously some games that have done well, but I would guess those are the Friday night matchups against USC, UCLA and Oregon. You are talking about putting CU on every week on Friday night, and I'm telling you, people aren't going to consistently watch CU vs Cal/Arizona/Stanford/WSU/Oregon State on a Friday night.

Lastly, CU doesn't get compensated independently for having a big rating game. The conference has a media rights deal and each of the schools get a cut of that. What CU makes directly from big time games comes from ticket sales, merch, food and beverage, etc, so it behooves the University to schedule fewer home Thursday or Friday night games, where fewer people are able to attend, and more Saturday games.

There is a reason P5 conferences haven't followed the MAC into "owning" a weeknight.

What is this MACtion of which you speak?

Warning I Told You GIF by Holly Logan

I’m drinking the Prime flavored Kool-Aid. Bookmart this post 3-2 to start.
The thing is, I think TCU and Oregon are beatable, but both are on the road. I don't think USC is winnable for this 2023 team, but it's at home and maybe we'll surprise? CSU is a layup and Nebraska at home should be winnable.

1-4 to 3-2 is the range for the first 5 games, IMO.

I'm predicting they win 2 games they aren't supposed to. Hopefully, they don't lose any games that they are supposed to win. That would leave us in pretty good shape.

The thing is, I think TCU and Oregon are beatable, but both are on the road. I don't think USC is winnable for this 2023 team, but it's at home and maybe we'll surprise? CSU is a layup and Nebraska at home should be winnable.

1-4 to 2-3 is the range for the first 5 games with NU being the swing game.

I like having the hard games early, during the “figuring it out” phase.

Give me the easier teams later so the narrative is about finishing strong and showing big improvement. Don’t want to drop games to easy teams early while our training wheels are on. Better to smack them later in the season

2023-01-17_13-00-13.jpg

I got two losses: @ Oregon and @Utah and a Pac-12 Championship victory. Motto is We Coming, not we need some time:

USC maybe. If we get the bye the week before them (means they have to go to Notre Dame right after us), they might be flat.

Back