What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

I am, admittedly, not strong on the technical aspects of football

But, damnnnn, apparently I don't know jack shïț about the game, because what I saw last Thursday was our front four rarely getting pressure and our LB's getting toasted repeatedly.

Yet for the last week I've been reading posts about how D line played well and the linebackers weren't that bad.... from posters I'll readily admit know the game better than me

I'm happy to be wrong and to continue to learn.

I am, admittedly, not strong on the technical aspects of football

But, damnnnn, apparently I don't know jack shïț about the game, because what I saw last Thursday was our front four rarely getting pressure and our LB's getting toasted repeatedly.

Yet for the last week I've been reading posts about how D line played well and the linebackers weren't that bad.... from posters I'll readily admit know the game better than me

I'm happy to be wrong and to continue to learn.
DL did an excellent job of gap control in the run game. Not enough penetration in the pass game and with the DEs rushing wide it did leave a big lane to scramble. The LBs were pretty active, especially once they settled in and were reacting much more quickly & decisively. Considering that the interior of our defense was expected to be our weakness, I'm pretty optimistic because I don't see a liability now and think that they'll be at least competing to neutral vs the groups they're going against. It will also help with pursuit, run support and coverage once our safeties are to 100% health.

DL did an excellent job of gap control in the run game. Not enough penetration in the pass game and with the DEs rushing wide it did leave a big lane to scramble. The LBs were pretty active, especially once they settled in and were reacting much more quickly & decisively. Considering that the interior of our defense was expected to be our weakness, I'm pretty optimistic because I don't see a liability now and think that they'll be at least competing to neutral vs the groups they're going against. It will also help with pursuit, run support and coverage once our safeties are to 100% health.
Thanks.

Agree the D line did a good job controlling the run.

The rest, I'll defer to your expertise and look for the specifics you mention in upcoming games.

Reactions: GRM
...On designed RB runs, they were held to 3.3 ypc. That’s a major success.
Thanks.

I agree the d did a good job against the run.

I'm surprised the quoted is considered a major success. That'd be just a 3" shy of a first down every three runs.

Brown is surprisingly good at tackle given it's a position he's never played before and is absolutely not built for it. Zilinkas was a 2-star level HS player if we're being honest and then was coached by B'OB his first year in college. We have to ask ourselves what did we really expect?

I like your lineup with Brown at C. Unsure what is going on with Johnson, but I anticipate him making an appearance soon. Can he play T? Your points are well taken on HZ, but from last year, Hank showed he is a "gamer" of sorts and committed to CU. However, we brought in bigger, faster, stronger guys... HZ is young (True Soph?) and I hope he will develop more. B'OB did not develop anything. It is good to have a few players develop in house, was Lepsis a 2* TE or am I thinking of another CU lineman that developed--the guy from Buena Vista maybe, or both guys?

Also, @Buffnik, your D post last night hit it on the head. Much more succinct that what I wrote. LB to S cohesion was a little lost, but room for improvement given the more sturdy Dline.

Last edited:
I like your lineup with Brown at C. Unsure what is going on with Johnson, but I anticipate him making an appearance soon. Can he play T? Your points are well taken on HZ, but from last year, Hank showed he is a "gamer" of sorts and committed to CU. However, we brought in bigger, faster, stronger guys... HZ is young (True Soph?) and I hope he will develop more. B'OB did not develop anything. It is good to have a few players develop in house, was Lepsis a 2* TE or am I thinking of another CU lineman that developed--the guy from Buena Vista maybe, or both guys?
Nate Solder: BV's Finest!

It's unusual for someone to come to this board and boast about winning $100. I will award passerby a pass, however, since it makes him one of the wealthiest people in either Dakota. You know what? F*ck it. It's all just Dakota Territory now--like god intended and before the Republicans decided they needed more Senators.
I didn’t put any money down on the cornhusker game. It wasn’t a lock going in like NDSU. I don’t know buffs football either and thought the passing game was too good. Had no idea how they would respond to the near loss or disappointing win depending on your point of view. Most thought the buffs too talented and well coached and NDSU would get boat raced.

NDSU responded and won by 50 but we won’t get those guys again until the FCS playoffs. wealthy gamblers like me only like sure things.

The Nebraska game unfolded much like the GAM indicated. Right now I don’t think you have the team you thought you had. I think the problem is coaching. I intend to keep an eye on the buffs, at least until they become also rans. I’ve still got my Colorado $100 gold piece and hope I can grow it.

A couple of your players would get more nfl interest and more national attention if they had chosen NDSU. I heard 5 or 6 from last years BISON team graduated to the nfl. Scouts in Fargo all the time I hear. Hope they don’t get robbed or mugged. Not as bad as Minneapolis but not what it used to be either.

On to next week. Hope for some opportunity.

ps. No TGIF here. We have The Triple Dip! It’s a cafe and soda fountain with coffee bar. The more upscale local lunch opportunity is across the street at The Bank. Coffees, pasteries, soup and sandwiches. Sidewalk seating. You can enjoy our town like the old days even in the evenings. People are in bed at night. Going to the county fair today! The beef at the 4-H stand is truly prime! Friday night homecoming game this weekend too.

Last edited:
I didn’t put any money down on the cornhusker game. It wasn’t a lock going in like NDSU. I don’t know buffs football either and thought the passing game was too good. Had no idea how they would respond to the near loss or disappointing win depending on your point of view. Most thought the buffs too talented and well coached and NDSU would get boat raced.

NDSU responded and won by 50 but we won’t get those guys again until the FCS playoffs. wealthy gamblers like me only like sure things.

The Nebraska game unfolded much like the GAM indicated. Right now I don’t think you have the team you thought you had. I think the problem is coaching. I intend to keep an eye on the buffs, at least until they become also rans. I’ve still got my Colorado $100 gold piece and hope I can grow it.

A couple of your players would get more nfl interest and more national attention if they had chosen NDSU. I heard 5 or 6 from last years BISON team graduated to the nfl. Scouts in Fargo all the time I hear. Hope they don’t get robbed or mugged. Not as bad as Minneapolis but not what it used to be either.

On to next week. Hope for some opportunity.

ps. No TGIF here. We have The Triple Dip! It’s a cafe and soda fountain with coffee bar. The more upscale local lunch opportunity is across the street at The Bank. Coffees, pasteries, soup and sandwiches. Sidewalk seating. You can enjoy our town like the old days even in the evenings. People are in bed at night. Going to the county fair today! The beef at the 4-H stand is truly prime! Friday night homecoming game this weekend too.

Wise not to bet. If you put your whole $100 down, the Fargo bookie might not have been able to payout.

Back