What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Game 1 Official Thread: NDSU @ COLORADO on ESPN at 6

I won $100. I dont care about co or NDSU but I love winning. Thanks for the $100 co fans. You guys cheated for the win but the money flowed to the folks you call losers because you couldn’t cover the standard 9.5 FCs spread.

I guess the big time for the Co buffs is cheat to win? The terrible call that made national news is just the straw that broke the camels back. The officials were bad all day. UC spends money like a professional team, play like a decent FCs team and can’t hire decent referees? That’s the big time? Lol

On to the next one, it’s a puzzler but considering the money line on Nebraska. At -275 it’s expensive to bet the huskers. It’s still 7.5 for 105 too. There’s just no Co running game to take the pressure off the great passing attack.

The O/U is high at 58.5.
Quentin Tarantino Art GIF by hoppip

Ok, just rewatched the game (ignore me if you don't care) and here are a few specific player and broader team takeaways.

Players
1. Amari McNeil is an underrated interior pass rusher and needs to see the field more
2. Bentley was good to great against the run. He is a solid player.
3. I counted 3 TFLs for Woods, one of which could have been counted as a sack, and thought he actually played pretty well outside of the WTF coverage play on the opening drive.
4. I thought Offerdahl was fine. Of course he's not special or very dynamic, but he runs hard and is generally reliable. Not sure he's going to hold up in pass protection.
5. Hayden showed a few flashes, but generally I thought he missed a few big opportunities in the run game
6. I'm hoping Benson is still not 100% healthy because I thought he was mediocre at best, and was the main culprit on back to back plays that got stuffed on 3rd and 4th and 1
7. Nwankwo was the defensive MVP and this defense is going to go as far as he can take them. Guy was controlling his gaps perfectly, getting great push in the middle and arguably made the defensive play of the game with his sack.

Team
1. I actually thought the OL controlled the LOS most of the game. Of course the rushing stats don't show it, but there were huge holes created multiple times. I think there's hope in the run game, but they have to get more creative and consistent with their playcalling. Can't keep running draws and straight handoffs from Shotgun and expecting it to work.
2. I also thought our DL completely controlled the LOS and they actually got a lot more pressure than I originally thought. Problem was not being able to finish and allowing Miller to scramble (obviously)
3. It's been said, but it can't be reiterated enough, IMO... Take away a bonehead offsides penalty and the fluky INT where the unathleticism of the NDSU defender actually saved what would have been a TD (defender just falls down and Wester would have been wide open) and created the INT, and the final score is something like 38-22 and the narrative is entirely different.

I feel fine about playing that "what if" game with those two plays because they had nothing to do with our talent or coaching and drastically change the outcome and perception.

End of the day, I have come away feeling a lot better about this team.

Also, here was the missed Targeting call on Shedeur on the last drive that should have resulted in a first down and the end of the game, so @Passerby can **** right off with the missed targeting on NDSU's final drive.

1725462471216.png

I won $100. I dont care about co or NDSU but I love winning. Thanks for the $100 co fans. You guys cheated for the win but the money flowed to the folks you call losers because you couldn’t cover the standard 9.5 FCs spread.

I guess the big time for the Co buffs is cheat to win? The terrible call that made national news is just the straw that broke the camels back. The officials were bad all day. UC spends money like a professional team, play like a decent FCs team and can’t hire decent referees? That’s the big time? Lol

On to the next one, it’s a puzzler but considering the money line on Nebraska. At -275 it’s expensive to bet the huskers. It’s still 7.5 for 105 too. There’s just no Co running game to take the pressure off the great passing attack.

The O/U is high at 58.5.
It's baffling how ****ing stupid you are

The O/U is high at 58.5.
Hey you stupid bitch address this picture below:

1725463401890.png

No flag, guess NDSU cheating too.

Smooth brain ass bitch.

The O/U is high at 58.5.
All that babbling about a can't miss system and how it always hits and you won 100 FREAKIN' DOLLARS??!!!
Laugh So Hard Life Of The Party GIF by HULU

1. I actually thought the OL controlled the LOS most of the game. Of course the rushing stats don't show it, but there were huge holes created multiple times. I think there's hope in the run game, but they have to get more creative and consistent with their playcalling. Can't keep running draws and straight handoffs from Shotgun and expecting it to work.

THIS. I don't know if anyone mentioned it at the time, but the turnover on downs about 1/3rd the way into the 2nd quarter was an ATTROCIOUS playcall. I can't remember the exact sequence, but they needed like 0.5-1 yard, lined up like they were going to run it under center, and then I think they motioned into the pistol and handed the ball off about 3-4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It looked like it might have even been a draw. Just terrible. a QB sneak would never fail if your OL is competent. Don't overthink it.

THIS. I don't know if anyone mentioned it at the time, but the turnover on downs about 1/3rd the way into the 2nd quarter was an ATTROCIOUS playcall. I can't remember the exact sequence, but they needed like 0.5-1 yard, lined up like they were going to run it under center, and then I think they motioned into the pistol and handed the ball off about 3-4 yards behind the line of scrimmage. It looked like it might have even been a draw. Just terrible. a QB sneak would never fail if your OL is competent. Don't overthink it.
Especially for a QB who models his game after Tom Brady, he needs to be adamant that in those situations, he's just getting under center and taking the first down via QB sneak. On a side note, however, they pick it up if Benson doesn't get shed by #53 twice in the row. I literally thought I was watching the same play twice.

That was simply awful. I think the coaches thought if they got the first down that NDSU wasn't going to stop them the rest of the way on that drive. Establishing the run early, especially on short yardage makes sense, but that was a terrible decision from going for it to the play call.

That was simply awful. I think the coaches thought if they got the first down that NDSU wasn't going to stop them the rest of the way on that drive. Establishing the run early, especially on short yardage makes sense, but that was a terrible decision from going for it to the play call.
There's a fine line between being confident that you are there to dominate, and that you are desperate to not get beat. Going for it on that 4th down felt more desperate, even before they got stuffed.

The O/U is high at 58.5.
What’s the going rate for some action at the Fargo Flying J? You might be able to afford 3

There was, actually, a pretty decent hole on the left side off of Seaton's back that Hayden kind of missed (it didn't help that Sheppard whiffed on his man).

But totally agree with how terrible the play call was. I didn't mind going for it in that situation necessarily, it was simply not the way to go about it. Terrible call.

There was, actually, a pretty decent hole on the left side off of Seaton's back that Hayden kind of missed (it didn't help that Sheppard whiffed on his man).

But totally agree with how terrible the play call was. I didn't mind going for it in that situation necessarily, it was simply not the way to go about it. Terrible call.
Yes. To be clear, I was all for going for it in that situation. Just a stupid playcall when the QB sneak is sitting right there.

Kind of a long hype video, but after watching it, I have 1 question:

Does Zilinkas ever block, like, ANYONE?

There was a play where Shedeur scrambled, outran a defender, set his feet and delivered to Horn (or Travis) in the middle of the field before getting absolutely leveled (there was about 19 seconds left in the half). the player who hit Shedeur came running from way back, tapped Zilinskas on the shoulder, then proceeded to sprint five more yards and demolish 2. Zilinskas should have been looking around to see who to block but just started watching the play. Seaton, on the other hand, missed the opening block which sent Shedeur scrambling, but then recovered and blocked through the entire play.

I liked that about Seaton. He kept going the whole play. I did not like how Zilinskas could have stepped in front of the player and kept 2 from a dangerous position, but didn't. It's not an expected block for any lineman to make, but would have shown more awareness.

Not mentioned by Yak:

2 terrible holding non-calls in the 1st half. 1 where Trevor got hooked around his arm by the OL on an otherwise likely sack that became a chunk play and then Travis getting wrapped up by the WR on a TD.
Yeah that hold on Woods was really obvious too. It's pretty rare to see a team get away with it on the edge like that

Kind of a long hype video, but after watching it, I have 1 question:

Does Zilinkas ever block, like, ANYONE?

I've been worried about Zilinkas since last March and have stated so on here repeatedly. My ideal line would be Brown at C, Seaton and Benson at T and Meyers and Johnson at G. But that went out the window when Benson and his mom told Loadholt he didn't want to be a Tackle and Big Phil caved.

I've been worried about Zilinkas since last March and have stated so on here repeatedly. My ideal line would be Brown at C, Seaton and Benson at T and Meyers and Johnson at G. But that went out the window when Benson and his mom told Loadholt he didn't want to be a Tackle and Big Phil caved.
Well, he can play backup G then, and ride the bench. Brown blows at tackle

Well, he can play backup G then, and ride the bench. Brown blows at tackle
Brown is surprisingly good at tackle given it's a position he's never played before and is absolutely not built for it. Zilinkas was a 2-star level HS player if we're being honest and then was coached by B'OB his first year in college. We have to ask ourselves what did we really expect?

Reactions: GRM
I don’t believe that **** for a second. You really think Prime is going to allow a player and his mom to dictate anything?
Brown is surprisingly good at tackle given it's a position he's never played before and is absolutely not built for it. Zilinkas was a 2-star level HS player if we're being honest and then was coached by B'OB his first year in college. We have to ask ourselves what did we really expect?
Tyler Brown played Tackle when he first got to college

Which part of the right side collapsing into 2s lap over and over and over again makes you think Brown is "good" at tackle?

How well did we run the ball to the right?

He's a GUARD. He's not built to be a tackle. Any DE with any decent arm length is simply going to push him around when he can't get his hands on them. Watch the film again, he ain't it, and if he stays there, this season is going to look EXACTLY like last year, except 2 won't make it to game 10.

Which part of the right side collapsing into 2s lap over and over and over again makes you think Brown is "good" at tackle?

How well did we run the ball to the right?

He's a GUARD. He's not built to be a tackle. Any DE with any decent arm length is simply going to push him around when he can't get his hands on them. Watch the film again, he ain't it, and if he stays there, this season is going to look EXACTLY like last year, except 2 won't make it to game 10.
Nah, he's not the ideal RT, but he is better than what we had there last year. I would like to see what Tyler Johnson looks like at some point. Not sure what his deal is, but he was really good at Houston and transferred here with one year to play and he's been a non factor at this point

Back