What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 NCAA tournament general games thread

Is it just me or are these guys making really dumb prima Donna types of plays?

That was not a foul on Shead. The refball is brutal. Walk on with some pressure FTs coming.

Correct result with Houston winning. Clearly the best team for 38.5 minutes of regulation, then the guys in stripes became the best team and let A&M make a run. Did really love A&M’s play to tie at the end of regulation.

ISU puts up a great fight in Palo Alto, but Stanford wins in overtime, 87-81. Fantastic game. Kiki had over 40 points. Brink fouled out in the 4th quarter.

ISU puts up a great fight in Palo Alto, but Stanford wins in overtime, 87-81. Fantastic game. Kiki had over 40 points. Brink fouled out in the 4th quarter.
There are a couple of calls that favors Stanford. Both team deserve to win but I think ISU deserves a little bit more.

I think this ISU team is pretty young too. Definitely a rough opponent for us next year.

It's all over Twitter is not exactly thoughtful discourse. My daughter goes there. Perfectly average university that serves a huge number of people at remarkably low tuition- charges the same as in-state ASU and U of A to anyone. Jerry Colangelo is a major donor, for example.

If you consider all higher education predatory, which is a defensible position, then maybe that tweet is accurate. But it's actually cheaper than most places with comparable education.

Edit: I will say, they definitely understand that high-level athletics is a good marketing tool for a university. Don't think that's a controversial take around here.

1/2 of my extended family is all from AZ, and a bunch in Education. GCU is sort of like a Metro, UC-D, Front Range etc.. all combined in one. It is a commuter school with a ton of on-line options. Mostly geared toward JC or non-traditional students, but they have a bunch that do well and transfer into 4 year colleges to finish. They have a core credits system built towards advancing into a traditional 4 year. Not the highest academics, but not the worst for-profit actor either. They came in when the for-profit actors already were being taken down, so it is a different approach. I think a bunch their infrastructure is in Glendale way out by the Cardinals stadium (which is still way out, and people complain about the Cards games), so it made sense to build it out there. The City of Phoenix was behind it. I think the State backs it as well. With the huge enrollment, could become a UCF type school, if they can increase academics.

ASU added a bunch to their on-line options to compete with GCU.

I vaguely remember the same thing Nik is talking about before. The Feds hammered the for-profit. I think that they are eventually aiming to move to a conference..., they field 11 sports including baseball. There was talk of them possibly adding football in some form, but to my knowledge the school shut it down. Phoenix is a tough CFP television football market already, as ASU and UoA are so close.

Last edited:
My understanding is that GCU went back to non-profit and they're recognized as such except that the federal accreditation agency has held out on recognizing GCU. But for tax purposes they are non-profit. They're in process & motivated since this change has to happen if they want in the WCC.

Reactions: GRM
There are a couple of calls that favors Stanford. Both team deserve to win but I think ISU deserves a little bit more.

I think this ISU team is pretty young too. Definitely a rough opponent for us next year.
ISU has 5 freshmen and one sophomore who play a ton of minutes. One of their best players is returning for her Covid year.

Audi Crooks is going to get better and better. She and Brink battled inside. They both fouled out without the points they usually score. But Kiki went off.

Brink also said fu to either the refs on the Iowa State bench when she fouled out. I thought it was to the refs but others think it was to the ISU bench.

Netty will have her work cut out for her against Iowa State. I hope we are going in the portal for a point guard.

Wetta is good but she isn't usually a scoring threat. Losing Sherrod, Quay, Tam, Maddie and Char is going to hurt. Jay is such a leader on the court. That is so hard to replace.

ISU has 5 freshmen and one sophomore who play a ton of minutes. One of their best players is returning for her Covid year.

Audi Crooks is going to get better and better. She and Brink battled inside. They both fouled out without the points they usually score. But Kiki went off.

Brink also said fu to either the refs on the Iowa State bench when she fouled out. I thought it was to the refs but others think it was to the ISU bench.

Netty will have her work cut out for her against Iowa State. I hope we are going in the portal for a point guard.

Wetta is good but she isn't usually a scoring threat. Losing Sherrod, Quay, Tam, Maddie and Char is going to hurt. Jay is such a leader on the court. That is so hard to replace.
Brink said fu to the ref. I was shocked when I see that so I'm pretty sure about that.

I think next year for us is a completely rebuilding year. Unless we get 2-3 high level transfers. I didn't know Emily Ryan is coming back, oh well, now I think they will be the team to beat in Big12 next year.

A lot of people talking about GCU sports being a whitewashing for the company

I was under the impression that they went non-profit in order to join the NCAA, as the NCAA doesn't let for-profit schools in.

The private Christian university is located in Phoenix, though the vast majority of its students take classes online. It claims to be a nonprofit—a critical designation for its NCAA status—but is currently at odds with multiple federal agencies about that assertion and its ongoing relationship with its former owner, publicly traded Grand Canyon Education (Nasdaq: LOPE). GCE has since 2018 continued be a key service provider for the university while enjoying a significant chunk of its annual revenue.

According to the NCAA, for-profit members are not eligible for the organization’s “revenue distributions, grants or scholarships.” In the 2022 fiscal year, the governing body distributed $642,985 to Grand Canyon University.

The complicated dynamic between the company and the university is at the heart of a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) lawsuit filed in December against both parties and GCU president Brian Mueller, accusing the defendants of engaging in abusive marketing practices and deceiving students by falsely advertising GCU’s nonprofit status. The school, the FTC argues in the federal civil suit, cannot make this assertion since it primarily operates “for the profit of GCE and its investors.” Among other evidence, the agency notes, is that GCE receives 60% of the revenue it derives from its athletic arena, though it provides no related operational services for the building.

Brink said fu to the ref. I was shocked when I see that so I'm pretty sure about that.

I think next year for us is a completely rebuilding year. Unless we get 2-3 high level transfers. I didn't know Emily Ryan is coming back, oh well, now I think they will be the team to beat in Big12 next year.

Nettie and Wetta are coming back and I think that McLeod is teed up to start next year. Outside of that who knows about the the current freshmen. And the incoming recruits look pretty good on paper, but again, who knows?

I agree that we need 2-3 high level transfers to possibly avoid a slump/re-build. Probably 3. And JR has been really successful with transfers - Quay, Tam, Nettie, Smith, Nolan. (Sure wish we had Nolan back for another year - a fearless shooter and a great all-around player.) Three transfers will likely cause some attrition among the young players but it is what it is. The CU women's program is at the point where it has to chose what kind of program it is in terms of personnel acquisition. Given JR's success so far with transfers I'd say go for it....Let's have the Sweet 16 become a floor for the program and not a ceiling.

Last edited:
Nettie and Wetta are coming back and I think that McLeod is teed up to start next year. Outside of that who knows about the the current freshmen. And the incoming recruits look pretty good on paper, but again, who knows?

I agree that we need 2-3 high level transfers to possibly avoid a slump/re-build. Probably 3. And JR has been really successful with transfers - Quay, Tam, Nettie, Smith, Nolan. (Sure wish we had Nolan back for another year - a fearless shooter and a great all-around player.) Three transfers will likely cause some attrition among the young players but it is what it is. The CU women's program is at the point where it has to chose what kind of program it is in terms of personnel acquisition. Given JR's success so far with transfers I'd say go for it....Let's have the Sweet 16 become a floor for the program and not a ceiling.
We need better recruiting if we want S16 to be the norm. I'm talking about top 50 prep player every year. Or transfers, if JR can find them.

We need better recruiting if we want S16 to be the norm. I'm talking about top 50 prep player every year. Or transfers, if JR can find them.
I agree. I just think that lately her record with high value transfers has been great. Some top 50 preps would be nice but those recruiting battles are dog fights and the players don’t always pan out….

Clemson in the process of giving away a game they were controlling.

I'm kind of torn on this one because I want Clemson to win, but I have more confidence in Arizona to beat UNC in the next round.

I'm kind of torn on this one because I want Clemson to win, but I have more confidence in Arizona to beat UNC in the next round.
UNC is a coin flip to get past Bama, I think.

When Zona clicks it's special. But they just don't do it that often.

Season 2 Goodbye GIF by Nanalan'

Back