What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

I’m just bummed we couldn’t get Dylan going with our ****ty offense like that first TCU game. Maybe this new offense has no place for a speedy undersized guy. I haven’t seen any reason why a talented rb would come here. Hope we’re figuring it out. Let’s let Charlie run with it, kid is solid.

Well, I guess you start by wishing DE and Wilkerson well for their short stay with the Buffs. Nobody wants to be a backup these days, and everyone wants guaranteed playing time/role. I'm starting to wonder with these guys getting some NIL and basically agents/advisors that comes with that, how much they drive the bus? It seems for every signing, there is a defection or two. Once there is a demotion or not a clear path to substantial playing time, I think the agents/advisors get on the phone.

I think it is pretty much a given that CU will have the most departures and newcomers for the 2nd straight season. The 247 article on DE said we are at 19 scholarship players, but on our 247 portal report we are at 35 counting Grad transfers and walk-ons. Although it is instinctive to question Prime and our staff, we are really not alone. Places like Tex, LSU, Ole Miss, UGA, USC, Fla State (they lost a ton to the draft too) are all over 20. Places you think are real stable with established coaches like Utah (22), Wisconsin(19) are up there as well. The ones with little transfers are Nubs (that roster was not great), Penn St. and Okie State (I do not know why they are not a favorite in the B12). IMO, that is just the portal/NIL era. This year a ton of teams will have new faces playing. A few comments:

1. It is bummer when you see a player with potential like DE, Milner-Jones, Sav Washington (even if just for his size and experience) etc... move on, or just other players who you saw were somewhat proven commodities. It is unsettling because we have seen them play with some highlights.

2. I am putting more stock and faith into Prime and CO, if not for just the fact that their evaluation, recruiting team and resources are bigger and more established than last year.

3. CU had a huge roster to turn over last year, and little time to do it. Many parts are still here, with a ton of potential coming in. IMO, the number keeps going up, but if we add guys in the Top-5th of the portal, they should be upgrades for most guys overall. Also, we knew that we were churning tons of players on our Oline and Dline. I think you have to do the math once it all shakes out--comparing what is incoming v. what is lost.

4. This transfer portal looks like it may approach 3000 guys when all is said and done. CU looks to have a Top 5 transfer class. Prime is still signing guys, and I'm sure there will be many transfer visitors for the Spring game.

5. I did some RX over the weekend looking at the Top 100 guys in the last 3 classes--the cream of the crop. 2021 it looks like only about 1/2 we with their original team or went to the NFL. 2022 was slightly better, but not by much. 2023 was better b/c all the Frosh have not entered--a few have to have some patience. One thing that was surprising for both 2021 and 2022 was the number of guys that were at Non-P65 teams now. HS recruiting is a crap shoot of sorts these days. Prime could be right-on there.

6. The Buffs appear competitive in the transfer sweepstakes. For the most part, we are competing well with the teams that we strive to become. We are signing more guys that played significant downs at their respective schools.

7. As of now, it is not like CU's transfers are trading up schools. Breedlove to Purdue; Bailey to Northwestern and the early guys to Ore St (if you call that trading up given they are really playing in Mtn West now). One thing that might be interesting is whether a very few transfers quickly test the waters and then desire to withdraw their name from the portal, and are welcomed back accepting their role. DE could be one--I think he still has a role in this changed offense, diminished from last year given the scheme and Wester doing returns, but he is very close to Prime. I don't think he starts Day 1 on a Top-40 team, and may not even play with just summer ball. Unless told to leave, Sav Washington, if he just slots 6-8 on another P65, why not consider it? He knows where he slots at CU and it is familiar. Injury or ineffectiveness and he could find himself back on field. Millner-Jones, again if not told to depart, then he knows this DB room, if he is just buried on a new roster, maybe reconsider re-joining the known rather than unknown. The caveat is Prime etc... have to let them back and they cannot be portaled over by a much better player. Only 4% have withdrawn their name, but it does happen. The portal commitment rate is only about 50% overall.

The portal is just a s***show all the way around. College football has changed. For what it is worth. Go Buffs!!

Last edited:
It seems like the Buffs have lost a lot, but in reality, they haven’t lost a single starter and there’s still plenty of guys in the portal/future grad transfers to fill out the back half of the roster.
I guess somebody would have started between the three RBs that transferred, but none of them were expected to be the workhorse that Hayden can be for us. Add Amos and maybe another competent back and I think we’ve improved at the position.

Last edited:
I guess somebody would have started between the three RBs that transferred, but none of them were expected to be the workhorse that Hayden can be for us. Add Amos and maybe another competent back and I think we’ve improved at the position.
I think we only add one more back. Maybe it's Amos. Maybe it's someone yet to pop up. I think Offerdahl might have relieved some pressure in that the coaches believe he step in if needed.
Hayden
(Amos?)
Welch
Offerdahl

I'd ride or die with that group.

I think we only add one more back. Maybe it's Amos. Maybe it's someone yet to pop up. I think Offerdahl might have relieved some pressure in that the coaches believe he step in if needed.
Hayden
(Amos?)
Welch
Offerdahl

I'd ride or die with that group.
We had 5 RBs on scholarship last year and basically only used 2 (Edwards and Hankerson). We are in the era of CFB where it's going to be hard to keep guys on the roster who aren't seeing playing time, so having 3 good scholarship RBs who will all see PT, with a serviceable guy like Offerdahl is probably the best you can hope for.

We had 5 RBs on scholarship last year and basically only used 2 (Edwards and Hankerson). We are in the era of CFB where it's going to be hard to keep guys on the roster who aren't seeing playing time, so having 3 good scholarship RBs who will all see PT, with a serviceable guy like Offerdahl is probably the best you can hope for.
Totally agree. And as posted on the other thread, it's probably apparent to the players we'll be primarily using the run just to set up the pass. I anticipate a 65/35 split at the very least.

Losing DE is not a good look. He played a lot as a True Freshman and was likely going to play a fair amount as a Soph. This is the first Recruit/Player lost where I'm like Damn. I thought he would be with us for 4 years. I also didn't like losing Cormani but at least that's been justified that the leadership and coaching style here were not the right atmosphere to get him to study, take accountability, and grow into a player.

The stats:
3 of the top 4 and 4 of the top 7 recruits from 2023 have hit the portal.
1 of the top 3 recruits from 2024 have already hit the portal.

I can't paint a picture where this is good attrition.

Losing DE is not a good look. He played a lot as a True Freshman and was likely going to play a fair amount as a Soph. This is the first Recruit/Player lost where I'm like Damn. I thought he would be with us for 4 years. I also didn't like losing Cormani but at least that's been justified that the leadership and coaching style here were not the right atmosphere to get him to study, take accountability, and grow into a player.

The stats:
3 of the top 4 and 4 of the top 7 recruits from 2023 have hit the portal.
1 of the top 3 recruits from 2024 have already hit the portal.

I can't paint a picture where this is good attrition.
Da actual fuq is this?
"...justified that the leadership and coaching style here were not the right atmosphere to get him to study, take accountability, and grow into a player."
Fuck Outta Here Go Away GIF by Desus & Mero

Just thinking:

One of the guys I knew, who played for CU, was Kirk Tracy. An undersized OG from Lakewood, he, like many others back then, grew up dreaming of being a Buff.
5' 11", bulked up to 225, all Big 8, 2nd team all-America.

Really a different world. And not better.

Da actual fuq is this?
"...justified that the leadership and coaching style here were not the right atmosphere to get him to study, take accountability, and grow into a player."
**** Outta Here Go Away GIF by Desus & Mero
Not sure what you are missing. Almost every report is that Cormani was lazy, struggling with grades, struggling with logging in the required hours of studying the playbook and came into the program entitled. Coach Prime's leadership towards players has been described as "old school" and he holds players accountable. Cormani couldn't take it and bounced...guys with that kind of attitude and personality aren't going to develop under CP. They are going to get caught in their feelings and bounce.

Just thinking:

One of the guys I knew, who played for CU, was Kirk Tracy. An undersized OG from Lakewood, he, like many others back then, grew up dreaming of being a Buff.
5' 11", bulked up to 225, all Big 8, 2nd team all-America.

Really a different world. And not better.
Looks like it will be a constant shuffling of the deck. Guys transfer in. Compete to play and if they get beat out. They are going to head to someplace where they think they can play more. And will likely transfer again the next year. I can't wait to see a big-name guy who starts 4 years at 4 different schools all in Power Conferences. Wins a Heisman at 2 different schools. It's going to start happening with QB's. Some sort of Iowa to Kentucky to Washington to Alabama is going to happen and it's going to be bizarre.

Not sure what you are missing. Almost every report is that Cormani was lazy, struggling with grades, struggling with logging in the required hours of studying the playbook and came into the program entitled. Coach Prime's leadership towards players has been described as "old school" and he holds players accountable. Cormani couldn't take it and bounced...guys with that kind of attitude and personality aren't going to develop under CP. They are going to get caught in their feelings and bounce.
What you wrote was worded incorrectly then. The context of your statement was that the issue lay with the coaching staff, not the player. All good.

What you wrote was worded incorrectly then. The context of your statement was that the issue lay with the coaching staff, not the player. All good.
Ahh... I think the context was D.Edwards is leaving and that's a bad look. The media perceives that Cormani leaving is also a bad look. But internally we know that Cormani leaving is because he couldn't handle the coaching style/didn't want to put in the work. I don't see how CP is much different than N.Saban with his coaching mentality tbh.

It's just CU isn't bringing in 25-30 Blue chips per cycle where you can have a few wash out from tough love. CP just has to keep bringing in more high-level recruits and the law of averages will balance out.

Back