What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Anyone pencilling in Smoke as the starter is overrating the hell out of him. He'll compete with three other guys for that first spot and could end up 4th.
Over four (4) years at Kentucky he rushed for a total of 1,583 yds on 292 carries, started 5 games, and scored 13 TDs. A serviceable backup RB there, he did well when called upon, blocks well, and was a 3* recruit out of HS on 247, ESPN, and Rivals. IMO his 5.42 yd per carry is his most impressive stat.

Glad to have him; CU is rebuilding a roster. But I'd agree that to pencil him in as a starter right now is getting way way over the skis....

Over four (4) years at Kentucky he rushed for a total of 1,583 yds on 292 carries, started 5 games, and scored 13 TDs. A serviceable backup RB there, he did well when called upon, blocks well, and was a 3* recruit out of HS on 247, ESPN, and Rivals. IMO his 5.42 yd per carry is his most impressive stat.

Glad to have him; CU is rebuilding a roster. But I'd agree that to pencil him in as a starter right now is getting way way over the skis....

Right that why I said we probably are still looking for an RB1 (McCaskill or someone else) because of the three RBs we have, the starter as of now might be Smoke. Maybe it’s Edwards or Hank but Smoke has more experience.

Wasn’t sure if I should put this here or the ****braska thread. Ari Wasserman and Mitch Sherman spent about 5 minutes on the current purge on today’s Stars Matter podcast. Ari and the two guests (Grace Raynor and Manny Navarro) handled it pretty well. Generally on the same page that most coaches would do this if they had the cache to pull it off. Though none of them were particularly well informed about any of it. The usual Reddit type reactions from people that only read the headlines and form an immediate opinion. Sherman, though, who also covers ****braska for them sounded viscerally offended by it all. It’s bad for Colorado, bad for the sport, CUs ceiling is too 2 or 3 in the PAC without USC and UCLA. The Nub tears were flowing and made for a delicious afternoon snack!!! LOL

I saw that earlier

I mean, remains to be seen if Prime can backfill with better dudes, but I think they all underestimate quite how dire the state of the roster was in. At the very least, a clean slate for most of the roster is probably an ideal starting position

Right that why I said we probably are still looking for an RB1 (McCaskill or someone else) because of the three RBs we have, the starter as of now might be Smoke. Maybe it’s Edwards or Hank but Smoke has more experience.

Well yeah, Smoke has more experience because he's a grad transfer with one year left to play.

My opinion on RB - If I'm a 4* or 5* gold plated transfer RB I'm taking CU off of my list early on. I think that a big part of CP's M.O. in moving to P5 is to showcase Shedeur. The Buffs will be pass happy and I think that the team is pretty well stocked at RB at this point. Just need another Smoke or Hank and maybe a walk-on ( I kind of wish Smith was still in the room). If I'm a monster transfer RB I'm going somewhere where I can be featured and roll up big numbers and that's probably not going to be here......

Last edited:
I saw that earlier

I mean, remains to be seen if Prime can backfill with better dudes, but I think they all underestimate quite how dire the state of the roster was in. At the very least, a clean slate for most of the roster is probably an ideal starting position

Respectfully disagree on "remains to be seen"

Chris Paul Lol GIF by ESPN

Well yeah, Smoke has more experience because he's a grad transfer with one year left to play.

My opinion on RB - If I'm a 4* or 5* gold plated transfer RB I'm taking CU off of my list early on. I think that a big part of CP's M.O. in moving to P5 is to showcase Shedeur. The Buffs will be pass happy and I think that the team is pretty well stocked at RB at this point. Just need another Smoke or Hank and maybe a walk-on ( I kind of wish Smith was still in the room). If I'm a monster transfer RB I'm going somewhere where I can be featured and roll up big numbers and that's probably not going to be here......
Have you had a chance to look at Kent states run/pass splits?

I realize that having a transfer from Tenn is a good look. However, when you look at his offers out of HS, Tenn was the only legit P5 offer. And his career stats = 2 tackles and weighs 285. He does have 3 years remaining, but short term Sami is better. Then again, I am not a coach or talent evaluator
Small sample size on McNeil but:

PFF Grade McNeil: 59.6
PFF Grade Sami: 58.5

I'll take the raw guy with tremendous athletic ability with a comparable PFF grade but as a freshman and not whatever year Sami was out of HS last year

If a player with eligibilty left, declares for the NFL draft and is not selected, can he go back to college? Is this a factor?

Wasn’t sure if I should put this here or the ****braska thread. Ari Wasserman and Mitch Sherman spent about 5 minutes on the current purge on today’s Stars Matter podcast. Ari and the two guests (Grace Raynor and Manny Navarro) handled it pretty well. Generally on the same page that most coaches would do this if they had the cache to pull it off. Though none of them were particularly well informed about any of it. The usual Reddit type reactions from people that only read the headlines and form an immediate opinion. Sherman, though, who also covers ****braska for them sounded viscerally offended by it all. It’s bad for Colorado, bad for the sport, CUs ceiling is too 2 or 3 in the PAC without USC and UCLA. The Nub tears were flowing and made for a delicious afternoon snack!!! LOL
Listened to this and the Staples pod prior to it when they spent a lot more time on CU. Andy Staples was far more reasonable about it saying this is exactly what he expected. Ari and this other guy they had on were far more critical, one of them going as far as saying CU was likely looking at 1-11 or 2-10 this year.

It feels like the national perception is that there is going to be a cultural problem because Prime is going to be blowing out 50-75% of the roster every single year, which really makes me question the acumen of some of these people

If a player with eligibilty left, declares for the NFL draft and is not selected, can he go back to college? Is this a factor?
This is what happened to Mustafa Johnson. I believe the rule is that they can come back provided they have not hired an agent. Could be mistaken.

This is what happened to Mustafa Johnson. I believe the rule is that they can come back provided they have not hired an agent. Could be mistaken.
Thanks. Yes he left the Buffs, wasn't drafted and returned to the Buffs. I'm wondering if CP is looking at a few guys who have declared, but may not get drafted and have CU as their fall-back option

Listened to this and the Staples pod prior to it when they spent a lot more time on CU. Andy Staples was far more reasonable about it saying this is exactly what he expected. Ari and this other guy they had on were far more critical, one of them going as far as saying CU was likely looking at 1-11 or 2-10 this year.

It feels like the national perception is that there is going to be a cultural problem because Prime is going to be blowing out 50-75% of the roster every single year, which really makes me question the acumen of some of these people
There was a tweet from a Sooner guy who does all those bs best/worst rankings (which we tend to re-post here if they favorable to CU and/or make Nebraska look bad).

Anyway, the tweet asked what CU's record would be this year. I got tagged so my timeline is swamped with replies - almost all in the 4 wins or fewer range. Lots seem to be Nub fans since a lot of comments about that game being a no-hoper for CU since they were the best bad team in the country the past 2 years.

Most importantly, it pays to focus content on CU / Prime. Tweet's gotten over a half million views.

Thanks. Yes he left the Buffs, wasn't drafted and returned to the Buffs. I'm wondering if CP is looking at a few guys who have declared, but may not get drafted and have CU as their fall-back option
I don’t think that’s how it works. I think Johnson had to get a waiver and establish he received really poor pre-draft analysis/advice.

"question the acumen": I've seen several comment that CU only has 15 or so scholarship players left on the team. Not that only 15 or so scholarship players from LAST YEAR are left on the team. Totally ignoring the scholarship players that were brought in before Spring and the ones coming in after Spring. If you're gonna comment, at least know a little about what you're talking about.

I don’t think that’s how it works. I think Johnson had to get a waiver and establish he received really poor pre-draft analysis/advice.
Seems a little odd. A guy can rake in millions in endorsements and still play college ball. But if you try, and fail, to get professional employment, you are penalized.

Seems a little odd. A guy can rake in millions in endorsements and still play college ball. But if you try, and fail, to get professional employment, you are penalized.
Probably equates to a lot of great, productive college players who are future day 3 picks opting to stay 4 years and make more money where they have a much higher market value.

There was a tweet from a Sooner guy who does all those bs best/worst rankings (which we tend to re-post here if they favorable to CU and/or make Nebraska look bad).

Anyway, the tweet asked what CU's record would be this year. I got tagged so my timeline is swamped with replies - almost all in the 4 wins or fewer range. Lots seem to be Nub fans since a lot of comments about that game being a no-hoper for CU since they were the best bad team in the country the past 2 years.

Most importantly, it pays to focus content on CU / Prime. Tweet's gotten over a half million views.

Nubs tix being available at all pisses me off.

"question the acumen": I've seen several comment that CU only has 15 or so scholarship players left on the team. Not that only 15 or so scholarship players from LAST YEAR are left on the team. Totally ignoring the scholarship players that were brought in before Spring and the ones coming in after Spring. If you're gonna comment, at least know a little about what you're talking about.
Yeah, that was said in various contexts on both pods.

There is also this idea being shard by these media types that since the talent in the portal right now isn't considered elite and wouldn't start for Alabama or Georgia, that somehow it's not going to make a difference on a roster like Colorado.

Back