What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

I agree with this. Koy was awesome and would have been really great if he hadn't been built entirely of straw.

I think Shedeur has a lot of Koy in him: very accurate, reads the field well, understands what the point of the play/offense is. Difference is, Shedeur has muscle, size, and a bit of speed. Koy was a crafty lilypad with a natural passer's motion.
Watching Koy sling it was so fun!

It is pretty clear to me that Sanders is the best QB at CU since Detmer. I know a lot of the younger 35 year olds don’t have this point of reference.
I agree he’s the best since Detmer actually. The way I was thinking of it was, Hansen was/would have been better than every QB since he was here. But yeah Sanders is likely the best since Detmer

I know most aren't the greatest fans, but we really think he is better than Klatt at this point?

I know most aren't the greatest fans, but we really think he is better than Klatt at this point?
Certainly more talented. The only thing that could potentially stop him from being better is if he struggles with the mental aspects. But he's a really smart kid by all accounts so I don't see that being an issue.

I was just wondering the same thing.
I'll be a little disappointed if he's not better than Klatt, because he's clearly the more gifted athlete but I'd like to see him play at least one P5 game before I anoint him as being better than an All-Big 12 performer.

Certainly more talented. The only thing that could potentially stop him from being better is if he struggles with the mental aspects. But he's a really smart kid by all accounts so I don't see that being an issue.
The mental part of the game is the majority of Sheduer's strengths for the next level. For this level, he's on another level. It's strange when I see people talk about him on other blogs but I have to remember, I've been watching him daily since he joined Jackson State where I was skeptical at first. For many, they haven't watched him yet and many here first impression was the Celebration Bowl. So while I know his game, everyone else is playing catch-up. At least on here and especially Reddit which they haven't started yet. Scouts know who he is and their opinions vary. Shedeur doesn't fit the ideal for a Black QB and that's a tough eval for those who watched him from day 1 and who know the game in the HBCU world and have compared him to McNair but not that they are similar because they aren't but just the level their own is potential NFL superstar.

Because Sanders's game is not "Black" as McNair's game was, it's a lot harder for the masses unless he is doing it at this level. Sanders doesn't have a cannon. He has a good arm but not a cannon. He does most of his damage in the pocket. He specializes in moving within the pocket. He came into college a top-tier pre-snap read QB similar to Jake Fromm in that skill. He's just not easy for the average scout. Many love him. Bucky Brooks for example. I've spoken to some who aren't as high and think he's a 4th rounder at best but those are the same scouts who like Anthony Richardson, 1st overall prospect. They have a preference as do many scouts. That's why Lamar Jackson can be loved by some and is seen as a WR prospect by others. Shedeur will have to fight that but with Black QB's like C.J. Stroud, I think he would be more accepted in 2023 than in the past but you gotta do it at the highest level for people to respect it, sadly JSU just ain't gonna get him picked all that high. Honestly, for me, I didn't see Detmer and if I did, I just don't remember him outside of with the Eagles but I remember his older brother lividly as a pro and in college. The QB I know and remember is Kordell Stewart. That's the guy I think of when it comes to Colorado football. To me, Shedeur is chasing the ghost of Kordell. That's who he has to pass overall. When I think of prime Colorado, I think of Kordell.

I think you guys will really be impressed with the pocket-passing skills Sanders has. His cognitive abilities are top-notch. He goes through his reads exceptionally fast and makes good decisions consistently. He always delivers accurately. I will say when he is holding the ball too long is when a vast majority of his issues come into place and he does trust his WRs, at times, too much. I think he can develop into a rich man's Mac Jones if he continues with the progression I've seen so far. If you watch his tape from FR to SO year, you will see a massive improvement in terms of mobility. It's not even the same athlete. I really want to see him behind a P5 OL. I have been telling all of you, the biggest gap from the FCS to the FBS is in the trenches, and in the SWAC, the OL is absolutely horrible. JSU had two excellent OL players, both can start and play P5 football, one starter was good for the SWAC but average for the FCS, and the other two starters were awful for the FCS and average for the SWAC. That's where if JSU played Colorado last year, I think Colorado would win 42-35 and that's with JSU being the much more talented team but the trenches just aren't comparable. It's just a massive gap.

For comparison purposes. Most SWAC DLs are better than most SWAC OLs. In fact, no OL in the SWAC is better than any DL in the SWAC. Just a lot better players on the DL to choose the SWAC than OL. The issue with the SWAC DL is the size. Edge rushers are 205-225. They are killing the OLs in the SWAC but would get stoned by most P5 and G5 OL. And so you don't think this is an FCS thing, the Missouri Valley and Big Sky are renowned for having superior OLs than DLs. I think it's regional more than anything. Any quality OL prospect in the south is usually going to the southern schools in the P5 or G5 and the FCS isn't known for NFL OL outside of the Missouri Valley and Big Sky. So it's extremely tough to recruit OL to the SWAC. Most of the time, they suck.

So when I watch Colorado football and see how much time your QBs last year had to throw the ball. I was like, Shedeur's gonna have a field day and this was with your squad from last year with bad WRs who are worse than what he had at Jackson State and no running game. The quality of OL is just massively different. That's all across the Pac-12. The SEC DL was better than the SEC OL and those QBs had it hard too but much easier than SWAC QBs.

Last edited:
The mental part of the game is the majority of Sheduer's strengths for the next level. For this level, he's on another level. It's strange when I see people talk about him on other blogs but I have to remember, I've been watching him daily since he joined Jackson State where I was skeptical at first. For many, they haven't watched him yet and many here first impression was the Celebration Bowl. So while I know his game, everyone else is playing catch-up. At least on here and especially Reddit which they haven't started yet. Scouts know who he is and their opinions vary. Shedeur doesn't fit the ideal for a Black QB and that's a tough eval for those who watched him from day 1 and who know the game in the HBCU world and have compared him to McNair but not that they are similar because they aren't but just the level their own is potential NFL superstar.

Because Sanders's game is not "Black" as McNair's game was, it's a lot harder for the masses unless he is doing it at this level. Sanders doesn't have a cannon. He has a good arm but not a cannon. He does most of his damage in the pocket. He specializes in moving within the pocket. He came into college a top-tier pre-snap read QB similar to Jake Fromm in that skill. He's just not easy for the average scout. Many love him. Bucky Brooks for example. I've spoken to some who aren't as high and think he's a 4th rounder at best but those are the same scouts who like Anthony Richardson, 1st overall prospect. They have a preference as do many scouts. That's why Lamar Jackson can be loved by some and is seen as a WR prospect by others. Shedeur will have to fight that but with Black QB's like C.J. Stroud, I think he would be more accepted in 2023 than in the past but you gotta do it at the highest level for people to respect it, sadly JSU just ain't gonna get him picked all that high. Honestly, for me, I didn't see Detmer and if I did, I just don't remember him outside of with the Eagles but I remember his older brother lividly as a pro and in college. The QB I know and remember is Kordell Stewart. That's the guy I think of when it comes to Colorado football. To me, Shedeur is chasing the ghost of Kordell. That's who he has to pass overall. When I think of prime Colorado, I think of Kordell.

I think you guys will really be impressed with the pocket-passing skills Sanders has. His cognitive abilities are top-notch. He goes through his reads exceptionally fast and makes good decisions consistently. He always delivers accurately. I will say when he is holding the ball too long is when a vast majority of his issues come into place and he does trust his WRs, at times, too much. I think he can develop into a rich man's Mac Jones if he continues with the progression I've seen so far. If you watch his tape from FR to SO year, you will see a massive improvement in terms of mobility. It's not even the same athlete. I really want to see him behind a P5 OL. I have been telling all of you, the biggest gap from the FCS to the FBS is in the trenches, and in the SWAC, the OL is absolutely horrible. JSU had two excellent OL players, both can start and play P5 football, one starter was good for the SWAC but average for the FCS, and the other two starters were awful for the FCS and average for the SWAC. That's where if JSU played Colorado last year, I think Colorado would win 42-35 and that's with JSU being the much more talented team but the trenches just aren't comparable. It's just a massive gap.

For comparison purposes. Most SWAC DLs are better than most SWAC OLs. In fact, no OL in the SWAC is better than any DL in the SWAC. Just a lot better players on the DL to choose the SWAC than OL. The issue with the SWAC DL is the size. Edge rushers are 205-225. They are killing the OLs in the SWAC but would get stoned by most P5 and G5 OL. And so you don't think this is an FCS thing, the Missouri Valley and Big Sky are renowned for having superior OLs than DLs. I think it's regional more than anything. Any quality OL prospect in the south is usually going to the southern schools in the P5 or G5 and the FCS isn't known for NFL OL outside of the Missouri Valley and Big Sky. So it's extremely tough to recruit OL to the SWAC. Most of the time, they suck.

So when I watch Colorado football and see how much time your QBs last year had to throw the ball. I was like, Shedeur's gonna have a field day and this was with your squad from last year with bad WRs who are worse than what he had at Jackson State and no running game. The quality of OL is just massively different. That's all across the Pac-12. The SEC DL was better than the SEC OL and those QBs had it hard too but much easier than SWAC QBs.
One thing that Shedeur appears to have that Kordell didn't, is accuracy. Kordell was lightning fast and could throw the ball a mile but sometimes he struggled with his accuracy.

One thing that Shedeur appears to have that Kordell didn't, is accuracy. Kordell was lightning fast and could throw the ball a mile but sometimes he struggled with his accuracy.
I wasn't comparing them. I was saying, he's chasing that ghost. Most people who aren't CU fans will say Kordell is the best QB in CU history and most don't know Koy Detmer and only know Joe Klatt due to his TV work. When many people think of CU Football, Kordell comes to mind. I was saying, he's chasing that ghost. Kordell is seen as CU's face. That's definitely who Prime felt it was and many more think so as well. For Shedeur to truly be considered a success at CU, he has to be in that tier where he's a national brand for his football play. If he's the tier of Koy Detmer or Joe Klatt, CU ain't having much success, at least nationally. His name has to ring a bell nationally is what I am saying. When they play USC, college gameday wants to come and the feature is Shedeur. He has to be next level.

Truth is, Koy had 40 TD in his career. Last year: 8 QBs had 20 or more passing TDs in the PAC-12. Last year in 13 games, Sanders had 40 passing TDs. There just much higher expectations for Sanders.

Before someone says, different era. You are correct. Koy was 10th in TDs and Yards in 1996. He was also 28th in COMP%. Those would be close numbers to Sam Hartman who is a draftable QB so I will say that's nothing to squeeze at considering the era difference. You want to see a massive gap. Look at Kordell's era in 92. You got Stewart at 44 with just 10 TDs passing in 92.

The passing game is everything in 2023. In 1992-1994, rushing was everything in college football.

Last edited:
Prolly got a lil $$$
They lost their WR1 to USC and now that McMillan is the WR1, they needed a WR2 since Cowing is their slot1 and their best overall player. I can't get mad at him. He wasn't going to start over Hunter, Weaver, or Horn Jr. Gaines was WR4 at JSU and Antonio can be WR5 and the red zone WR as well. Not to mention the freshman they signed that will be here in the summer as well as the talented McClain who will be two-way like Hunter.

Thanks Sheldon! Dawson as well.

Last edited:
They lost their WR1 to USC and now that McMillan is the WR1, they needed a WR2 since Cowing is their slot1 and their best overall player. I can't get mad at him. He wasn't going to start over Hunter, Weaver, or Horn Jr. Gaines was WR4 at JSU and Antonio can be WR5 and the red zone WR as well. Not to mention the freshman they signed that will be hear in the summer as well as the talented McClain who will be two-way like Hunter.

Also, Tavarish Dawson...

All of this to be a WR2, come on MLC

Confused?

He got an Auburn offer that should have been something he committed to immediately and go and show in the SEC, but instead he goes to Arizona, a team with a pretty much rookie coach that I hope we wipe the floor with.

If he is friends with Shadeur, why go to an opponent

Oh well, good luck to MLC, he was one of my favorites

Confused?

He got an Auburn offer that should have been something he committed to immediately and go and show in the SEC, but instead he goes to Arizona, a team with a pretty much rookie coach that I hope we wipe the floor with.

If he is friends with Shadeur, why go to an opponent

Oh well, good luck to MLC, he was one of my favorites
He probably wanted to play with a good QB. Auburn doesn't have one.

I will say that after watching the spring game and checking out JSU clips since late November, when all the Prime excitement started, the QB and skill positions play are what have me the most excited. As soon as the shedding of players that weren’t going to fit the vision going forward happened, I was really nervous. I’m not on the staff, so I don’t know what they are looking for, but many incoming players have me curious and/or just downright excited for August and September. If team leaders can pull this team together to work as one…it could be an explosive year.

I do not understand the naysaying chorus in the media and public social media platforms. CU was 1-11 last year and not competitive at all. It seems like a lot of PAC12 fan sites are salty that they may be losing the conference punching bag…especially Oregon State fan pages. At the end of the day, only Utah and UW are the teams that I’d expect to be L’s and UW would only be on the schedule if CU and UW make it Vegas.

Oregon and USC can be complete head cases, and there is film on both. UCLA is a toss up, Arizona has righted the ship possibly, but don’t think they can call themselves a team to beat. ASU is tumbling. Oregon St will probably be decent to good, but be beatable on multiple levels.

Coach Prime closing on these last few identified recruits versus losing them to another P5 school is pure bonus. I am calling it now. If we start 3-1 watch out for a top 20 HS class for 2024 and prepare for liftoff....

Massive get

Good PFF grades. 79 inch arms. Technique is top notch. Get him into a P5 weight room and he could be around 245-250

Everything I read about Manns mentions the 79 inch wingspan. That's pretty good for a 6'3" edge but probably around the same as all the other edge guys.
Anybody in the 6'4" or 6'5" range will be around there. Funny how it's always mentioned with Manns.

I'm the other one.

I put it out there to see if there was any response.

Back