What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

New here, but have been lurking.

I do understand there being a lot of speculation on the front line, both offensive and defensive. However, Kelly ran mostly a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 while DC at Florida before moving to Alabama. I can also see him using 3 safeties considering our depth there, and that Kelly has been known to cater his defensive scheme to the talent he has. Considering the amount of players we have at dl, edge and linebacker, I have a feeling the defensive front will work itself out. It may not be great, but it should be way above average. And considering the talent we have at safety and db, I can see our defense being somewhat vulnerable to the run, but great at pass defense. This would be a huge improvement from 2022.

Now on the offensive line side, considering Sean Lewis's offensive scheme, it sounds like endurance and speed are critical. They do a lot of pulls and counters. We have 2 players from the OL that came from Kent state and know the scheme. We have an OL coach that came with Lewis. I have to assume that the between Kelly and Oboyle, they know exactly what they are looking for here and the 16 guys they have here(11 new) will be serviceable at worst. This offense is fast. Sanders won't be sitting in the pocket for any considerable amount of time.

I liked this article. It's been updated recently. Gives a very favorable view of our season. There are still some areas we can improve on, and we have the spots, but I'm happy with what I have seen so far.

https://milehighsports.com/colorado-buffaloes-updated-2023-projected-football-roster/amp/

I hope Chev does well. And we don’t know the extent to which Dorrell mucked up the offense.
Sure. I get that. I am just not a Chev fan. I was two layers of hearsay away from an offensive starter for a number of years under Chev. From the inadmissible distance of that short game of telephone, I heard the rumblings of a portion of the team that couldn't stand Chev and would have left en mass had he been named HC. I have listened to interviews with the guy, and I know he would just grate on me if I ever had to work with/for him. But that's just my completely irrelevant take and feeling. I am sure there are players who love the guy, and he seemed to be a decent recruiter before we got to see--finally up close--what good recruiting actually looks like.

I don't think he was ever a good offensive coordinator, regardless of whether KD interfered to make bad worse. But, hey, maybe the Chaffey Panthers will change football as we know it: the all-screen pass offense could be devastatingly effective in the... what is that league?... the South Coast Conference.

Last edited:
Sure. I get that. I am just not a Chev fan. I was two layers of hearsay away from an offensive starter for a number of years under Chev. From the inadmissible distance of that short game of telephone, I heard the rumblings of a portion of the team that couldn't stand Chev and would have left en mass had he been named HC. I have listened to interviews with the guy, and I know he would just grate on me if I ever had to work with/for him. But that's just my completely irrelevant take and feeling. I am sure there are players who love the guy and he seemed to be a decent recruiter before we got to see--finally up close--what good recruiting actually looks like.

I don't think he was ever a good offensive coordinator, regardless of whether KD interfered to make bad worse. But, hey, maybe the Chaffey Panthers will change football as we know it: the all-screen pass offense could be devastatingly effective in the... what is that league?... the South Coast Conference.
I'm pretty aligned with your take.

So I'm focusing on Chev bleeding black & gold, hoping for his success, and really hoping he creates a top west coast JC program that becomes a CU feeder. Joint camp there would be great, considering the location.

Sure. I get that. I am just not a Chev fan. I was two layers of hearsay away from an offensive starter for a number of years under Chev. From the inadmissible distance of that short game of telephone, I heard the rumblings of a portion of the team that couldn't stand Chev and would have left en mass had he been named HC. I have listened to interviews with the guy, and I know he would just grate on me if I ever had to work with/for him. But that's just my completely irrelevant take and feeling. I am sure there are players who love the guy and he seemed to be a decent recruiter before we got to see--finally up close--what good recruiting actually looks like.

If this is true, it underscores the mismanagement under Uncle Ricky. Trying to force Chiv on Sark, unbelievable, again, if true. I am glad he got Prime, so I have laid off of him, but I don't see RG as a top notch AD, JMO.

Allegedly, he did say he thought Prime was the guy if you want to move the needle, so it isn't like he is clueless, but he was also apparently ready to saddle CU with the Bronco Minivan. We'll probably never know how much RG's hands were tied under the mediocre laden regime of Dr. Phil. Again, JMO.

I'm pretty aligned with your take.

So I'm focusing on Chev bleeding black & gold, hoping for his success, and really hoping he creates a top west coast JC program that becomes a CU feeder. Joint camp there would be great, considering the location.
I'm not far away. I can do a backyard CU-themed BBQ for local players if things don't work out at Chaffey. I'm on it. (y)

wildly anti-mormon
road standing GIF by South Park

Looking forward to seeing an actual offensive scheme, with a specific plan to misdirect, and well-designed purpose of attack. It will be interesting to contrast that—finally—to the Chaffey College scheme that will be—no doubt—churning out suboptimal numbers just down the road, as the offensive mind-set that predominated (infected?) CU’s scheme for so so very long.
Small.

New here, but have been lurking.

I do understand there being a lot of speculation on the front line, both offensive and defensive. However, Kelly ran mostly a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 while DC at Florida before moving to Alabama. I can also see him using 3 safeties considering our depth there, and that Kelly has been known to cater his defensive scheme to the talent he has. Considering the amount of players we have at dl, edge and linebacker, I have a feeling the defensive front will work itself out. It may not be great, but it should be way above average. And considering the talent we have at safety and db, I can see our defense being somewhat vulnerable to the run, but great at pass defense. This would be a huge improvement from 2022.

Now on the offensive line side, considering Sean Lewis's offensive scheme, it sounds like endurance and speed are critical. They do a lot of pulls and counters. We have 2 players from the OL that came from Kent state and know the scheme. We have an OL coach that came with Lewis. I have to assume that the between Kelly and Oboyle, they know exactly what they are looking for here and the 16 guys they have here(11 new) will be serviceable at worst. This offense is fast. Sanders won't be sitting in the pocket for any considerable amount of time.

I liked this article. It's been updated recently. Gives a very favorable view of our season. There are still some areas we can improve on, and we have the spots, but I'm happy with what I have seen so far.

https://milehighsports.com/colorado-buffaloes-updated-2023-projected-football-roster/amp/
There was an interview with Nick Williams (think it was on the Well Off channel) where he was emphasizing splash plays (sacks, strip sacks, TFL’s, etc.) and how impactful they are in wins vs losses.

I would love to see a lightning fast and opportunistic defense that might give up a few big plays but creates massive, momentum swinging plays as well.

Buffs may not have the depth in the “war daddy” department but if they can create enough splash plays things can turn out well.

There was an interview with Nick Williams (think it was on the Well Off channel) where he was emphasizing splash plays (sacks, strip sacks, TFL’s, etc.) and how impactful they are in wins vs losses.

I would love to see a lightning fast and opportunistic defense that might give up a few big plays but creates massive, momentum swinging plays as well.

Buffs may not have the depth in the “war daddy” department but if they can create enough splash plays things can turn out well.
Winning is mostly about generating more momentum plays.

If you are going to cite Ms. Maizel, a footnote/reference could be a good idea. Maybe the GIF.

And what, it's ok to talk about how the players on a few horrible years of teams mostly went to G5 programs and CCs, but the coaches are off-limits? You are right, though, I mentioned just a very small taste of the reasons I'm not a fan of his, by focusing on his coaching (and not getting personal) by way of a--pretty--light-hearted jab.

If you are going to cite Ms. Maizel, a footnote/reference could be a good idea. Maybe the GIF.

And what, it's ok to talk about how the players on a few horrible years of teams mostly went to G5 programs and CCs, but the coaches are off-limits? You are right, though, I mentioned just a very small taste of the reasons I'm not a fan of his, by focusing on his coaching (and not getting personal) by way of a--pretty--light-hearted jab.
He wiped his Twitter clean of CU material and liked all tweets supporting his temper tantrum candidacy for the HC job which RG thankfully had the wisdom to deny all
While wearing a plaid suit, white Oakleys and tennis shoes. Plus he’s a bad OC.

(The Buffs offered late last month. Per 247, his other planned upcoming visits are to Oklahoma, Houston and Louisville (all of whom have also alrady offered).)

Last edited:
Interesting fit for the Sean Lewis offense. Feel like with his size he can be a really solid run blocker. Figured Lewis would look for catch first TE's for the most part.

Interesting fit for the Sean Lewis offense. Feel like with his size he can be a really solid run blocker. Figured Lewis would look for catch first TE's for the most part.
Lewis seems different from most offensive minds who have embraced going fast from a single back spread. He also values smashmouth football to finish drives and close out games. So we'll also have B1G style OLs and TEs, is my expectation.

Lewis' offense barely throws to TEs, ever.
That's been his history.

How much of that is because he hasn't had outstanding talent there? They are recruiting a variety of TEs like they expect to make full use of the position.

With the kind of talent that Prime and the staff are recruiting they may be able to do some things on both sides of the ball that the coaches haven't done before.

I'd hate to be the TCU coaches trying to figure out what to prepare for with this team.

Back