What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...asks-for-release-from-scholarship/ar-AA16tSUc

I think this is interesting. Since the NIL deal is separate from the letter of intent to attend Florida, legally he cannot be recruited elsewhere without Florida releasing him. I think we will see this scenario more often as the companies/individuals offering these huge NIL deals are unable to honor their commitments.
Schools do not want to get involved with the lawsuits. They will release players if their boosters/NIL collectives screw up. Too much negative publicity for them.

Schools do not want to get involved with the lawsuits. They will release players if their boosters/NIL collectives screw up. Too much negative publicity for them.
It's probably less the negative publicity and more the discovery in the lawsuits that will show that the schools are intimently involved in the NIL stuff down to being in charge of who gets what.

If I was this kid I would get released, move on, and sue the crap out of the collective that was supposed to pay me.

If schools get a reputation for stiffing players, that is about the worst thing possible for recruiting future players.
They'll get that reputation regardless of whether they release from the NLI or not. The players aren't dumb. The reason schools will release from NLIis to avoid court cases. They know what happens when these things get into the courtroom and later the appellate courts. They will lose even more control over what used to be virtually free labor.

If I was this kid I would get released, move on, and sue the crap out of the collective that was supposed to pay me.
That will be an interesting case. A kid gets released, goes to a new school on a less lucrative NIL deal, then sues the prior school and collective for the difference.

Plus damages I would think
The difference between what was promised by prior collective and what a player makes at the new school would be the measure of damages. Whether it's pleaded as a breach of contract or fraudulent/negligent inducement claim, it's going to be a contract measure of damages -- what it would take to put the player in the place he would have been if the collective performed. I guess a crafty lawyer could try to jam some other damages in there, perhaps difference in cost of living, extra travel costs if he's further from home, etc. I doubt there will be any non-economic damages available unless it's a state with strange law.

The difference between what was promised by prior collective and what a player makes at the new school would be the measure of damages. Whether it's pleaded as a breach of contract or fraudulent/negligent inducement claim, it's going to be a contract measure of damages -- what it would take to put the player in the place he would have been if the collective performed. I guess a crafty lawyer could try to jam some other damages in there, perhaps difference in cost of living, extra travel costs if he's further from home, etc. I doubt there will be any non-economic damages available unless it's a state with strange law.
thx, so nothing punitive?

But getting separation was also a big problem.
And do all NFL position coaches suck? We’ve had a bevy of them and they have all sucked.
WR, Safety and our DC were all NFLers, but no impact in best case. .

Hard to tell how good or bad a coach is when he is working with inferior talent. Did our WRs not get separation because they weren't coached or did they not get separation because they weren't very good. Tyson and MLC seemed to get some separation.

And I don't think our coaches coming from the NFL meant they sucked. The fact that they could see the train wreck that was KD and still took the job because they didn't have a better offer probably means they sucked.

Lack of separation was because of everything going wrong.

1. Players were not made to work hard enough in practice or held to a standard of running every route as if the play is for them.

2. QBs were not able to deliver the ball on time or accurately. Nor were they able to read the defense or get through progressions.

3. Route design improved in 2022 over 2021, but there were still some head scratchers that game announcers would call out. With that, too often a receiver could not trust a teammate to do his job by selling the complementary route (or teammates didn't have enough speed to get to where the play call demanded).

4. Pass blocking was not adequate and even though fewer sacks were given up in 2022, it's not as if I ever found myself saying, "He could read a book in that pocket."

Lack of separation was because of everything going wrong.

1. Players were not made to work hard enough in practice or held to a standard of running every route as if the play is for them.

2. QBs were not able to deliver the ball on time or accurately. Nor were they able to read the defense or get through progressions.

3. Route design improved in 2022 over 2021, but there were still some head scratchers that game announcers would call out. With that, too often a receiver could not trust a teammate to do his job by selling the complementary route (or teammates didn't have enough speed to get to where the play call demanded).

4. Pass blocking was not adequate and even though fewer sacks were given up in 2022, it's not as if I ever found myself saying, "He could read a book in that pocket."
But otherwise we were pretty darn good!

It will be interesting to see how the room settles out. I think at least 1 more will move on or get moved to DB.
So, this is what real QB looks like. I'd forgotten watching CU QB's the past few years.

No matter how he does at CU (most likely pretty damn good) Shadeur will be a 1-3 round draft pick when he graduates. He's got the genes, the hype, the athleticism and the skills to play in the league. Hell, he's probably better than 8-10 QBs on rosters at the moment.

Maurice Bell back in the portal. Best regards.

Prime when he heard this, probably:
Happy Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes
Honestly thought he was already gone. Is Jaylon Jackson still here? Could use a transfer from him too.

No matter how he does at CU (most likely pretty damn good) Shadeur will be a 1-3 round draft pick when he graduates. He's got the genes, the hype, the athleticism and the skills to play in the league. Hell, he's probably better than 8-10 QBs on rosters at the moment.
Pump the brakes, man. He's a very good player, but a high draft pick, I absolutely do not see.

Good comparison for this year could be Cam Ward. I think SS will ultimately be better than CW, but there is an adjustment. Ward comes off a season in which he threw 23 touchdowns to nine interceptions -- fewer interceptions than he had at FCS-Incarnate Ward where he threw 47 scores to 10 INTs. Ward finished the last five regular-season games without an interception, throwing just one in the final seven. I could see this sort of statistical pattern for SS in 2023.

Good comparison for this year could be Cam Ward. I think SS will ultimately be better than CW, but there is an adjustment. Ward comes off a season in which he threw 23 touchdowns to nine interceptions -- fewer interceptions than he had at FCS-Incarnate Ward where he threw 47 scores to 10 INTs. Ward finished the last five regular-season games without an interception, throwing just one in the final seven. I could see this sort of statistical pattern for SS in 2023.
There is no comparison. Cam played in a system where his OL, WRs, and coaching had fully brought into the system. Whereas it was completely makeshift at JSU and only 3 WRs even fit the system. Cam's replacement Lindsey Scott Jr put up far more insane numbers in the same system.

I like, hell love Cam Ward. I actually think he's more talented than Sanders. That said, Shedeur is far more ready for the jump. His game would benefit in the Pac-12 and a better scheme for him than a poor man's Air Raid which JSU ran last year.

Hard to tell how good or bad a coach is when he is working with inferior talent. Did our WRs not get separation because they weren't coached or did they not get separation because they weren't very good. Tyson and MLC seemed to get some separation.

And I don't think our coaches coming from the NFL meant they sucked. The fact that they could see the train wreck that was KD and still took the job because they didn't have a better offer probably means they sucked.
BS. Our players had more talent than G5 schools who would have crushed us. Bad coaching!

BS. Our players had more talent than G5 schools who would have crushed us. Bad coaching!
No argument that we have been poorly coached.

A look at the offer list of our players over the past few years and the lack of interest most have seen in the portal says that they also weren't P5 level talent.

We would have been crushed by a lot of G5 schools for multiple reasons.

I disagree on linebackers. They added about 6 as Prime is leaning to a 2-4-5. Which is two DTs, mainly NTs, two LBs with their hands in the dirt. Two roaming LBs with cover skills and five DBs. Three safeties and two CBs or three CBs and two safeties depending on the package.

Prime outside LBs operate like EDGE rushers

I actually have defense as the most improved and I have less questions. Offensively, I still have top-end WR questions and Left side of the OL questions.

Defense should be good this year. Most improved in the nation by a mile.

Even the depth is solid for Colorado on defense.

Last edited:
I disagree on linebackers. They added about 6 as Prime is leaning to a 2-4-5. Which is two DTs, mainly NTs, two LBs with their hands in the dirt. Two roaming LBs with cover skills and five DBs. Three safeties and two CBs or three CBs and two safeties depending on the package.

Prime outside LBs operate like EDGE rushers

I actually have defense as the most improved and I have less questions. Offensively, I still have top-end WR questions and Left side of the OL questions.

Defense should be good this year. Most improved in the nation by a mile.

Even the depth is solid for Colorado on defense.
We had the worst defense in the nation last year. Hard not to improve by a lot.

Back