What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

This is nice to see. Weather isn't stellar this weekend though. This crazy pattern that has us with snow on the ground so long is frustrating.

Exactly my concern. I hope it will be explained to them that this has been an unusually cold and snowy couple of months so it won't deter some of these warm weather recruits.

Exactly my concern. I hope it will be explained to them that this has been an unusually cold and snowy couple of months so it won't deter some of these warm weather recruits.
Boulder averages a 47 degree high in January, less than 2.5" of snow. Tell them this the worst ever - almost.

Does Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame or anyone else worry about the weather with recruits?
@Leon Sandcastle said it best... Those are programs with far more cache than CU, so many players are willing to dismiss the weather to go there. There is also much better natural recruiting grounds in that area of the country than in and around Colorado. Regardless of all that, yes, there are definitely some recruits from the South who aren't interested in cold weather programs, including Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc. Our current Head Coach is an example of that.

Prime helps CU overcome that mindset with many recruits who otherwise wouldn't even consider CU, but there is still a portion of elite recruits who likely won't consider Boulder because of the potential for cold weather.

Also, people keep throwing out the IPF and the weather during the majority of the season as reason why the cold shouldn't be a big deal, but many seem to forget that these kids don't just exist in Boulder for practices and Saturdays during the Fall. This is a place they are going to call home for 3-5 years and the vast majority of their time in Boulder will be spent outside of the IPF and Folsom.

I mean, you're going to have some people who visit and hate the cold, the snow, the lack of humidity. You won't sign those guys and that's ok.

There are also plenty of guys who will make visits in June through September who find most of the country completely miserable during that time and not want that.

At the end of the day, the way I look at is that if programs in B1G locales (Michigan and Notre Dame, for example) can present the worst of both worlds on weather and still stock their rosters with blue chip talent, Colorado might have some hiccups but overall it's not a significant issue. Our winters are milder and our summers are far more pleasant.

I'm guessing that nobody has thought about how to address the weather. They are probably going to just make all of the prospects sit in the cold for hours long stretches, with nary a word spoken about it.
Yeah I think it's pretty clear from all the media they are putting out they aren't going to apologize for the snow. They are going to say it usually isn't that cold and the snow is awesome. As opposed to apologizing for it they are leaning in and I think it is great. Will it work for every kid? Of course not but it's better than trying to explain it away.

I'm guessing that nobody has thought about how to address the weather. They are probably going to just make all of the prospects sit in the cold for hours long stretches, with nary a word spoken about it.
Freezing Bill Murray GIF

Back