What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TNFR RB Ramon Jefferson

I call BS.

Nobody is expecting CU to go toe to toe with an SEC school and its bags of cash.

Most here would be satisfied with a FB program that doesn't get blown out every time they play a top25 team, that is actually competitive, goes to a bowl game as a regular event and wins more that they lose. CU has won more than they lose on a seasonal basis (checks notes), two times in the last fifteen years. That includes the bogus COVID "winning" season.

You don't need Phil Knight level money to go .500. You simply need to be better than inept.

SpyreSports? handing out the envelopes.

I call BS.

Nobody is expecting CU to go toe to toe with an SEC school and its bags of cash.

Most here would be satisfied with a FB program that doesn't get blown out every time they play a top25 team, that is actually competitive, goes to a bowl game as a regular event and wins more that they lose. CU has won more than they lose on a seasonal basis (checks notes), two times in the last fifteen years. That includes the bogus COVID "winning" season.

You don't need Phil Knight level money to go .500. You simply need to be better than inept.
A receiver in our conference just got paid $3.5M and hasn’t played a down for the program yet. We’re a nonfactor.

someone said it earlier - anyone leaves or doesnt come it's because donors wont / cant pay. this completely shirks any accountability laid upon the hands of leadership at CU - AD/Coaches/Admin all of it. We can now all blame each other and not them - nice, very noice.

I call BS.

You don't need PK money to go .500, but to go .500 you need to be able to keep at least some of your all conference caliber players, and when programs with PK money come offering cash, what's a program who can't match it going to do?

So what? One WR getting paid in the P12 means CU can't be a better than .500 team? That's all you got?
Let’s see here, we haven’t been competitive over the last twenty years, now schools can openly tamper with players and pay them millions of dollars and these players can then transfer without penalty to that school. And somehow you think this new environment will help us achieve better results than we have over the last two decades? Why?

So what? One WR getting paid in the P12 means CU can't be a better than .500 team? That's all you got?
I've been very outspoken that no President or Chancellor should be in the way of a football program going 6-6. I still believe that, but NIL has change everything in that regard. CU isn't going to be able to keep any of their best players. They are going to be a farm team for the top programs.

Let’s see here, we haven’t been competitive over the last twenty years, now schools can openly tamper with players and pay them millions of dollars and these players can then transfer without penalty to that school. And somehow you think this new environment will help us achieve better results than we have over the last two decades? Why?
IF CU put in the effort of say, Utah, a school that has similar resources, they could be something more than a doormat. If you want to give the admin. a pass and accept being the crappiest team in the P12, be my guest.

Last edited:
this year is shaping up to be very "interesting."

largest coaching salary pool in CU history. time to deliver the goods.

IF CU put in the effort of say, Utah, a school that has similar resources, they could be something more thana doormat. If you want to give the admin. a pass and accept being the crappiest team in the P12, be my guest.
I’m actually very interested to see where Utah shakes out in this new CFB.

I’m not giving anyone a pass, I’m asking you for specific examples of what you would like to see CU do? I feel like you’re saying “admin is failing” but not offering any areas of where you’d like to see them improve.

Over the last 20 years we switched to a conference that appeals more to our alumni, we’ve built completely new and state of the art athletic and training facilities, RG has created an avenue for athletes to get connected with NIL opportunities, and the salary pool for coaches is bigger than ever. So again, what specifically would you like RG to do?

You don't need PK money to go .500, but to go .500 you need to be able to keep at least some of your all conference caliber players, and when programs with PK money come offering cash, what's a program who can't match it going to do?
So Mekhi Blackmon, Jarek Broussard, Lil Shenault, D. Stanley, Mark Perry, all left for bags of cash. Who knew? They aren't all P12, but is CU better with them or without? Why did they leave? Probably because they could see the admin and the AD and staff are sub-par and can't get it done.

All this baloney about waving a white flag and accepting losing more than anybody else when Utah keeps chugging along with no more resources than CU.

I have adjusted my expectations. I don't think CU will ever be nationally relevant again. But, there is no reason they can't be a better than .500 team. If you want to let the people running the show off the hook for their utter failure to achieve squat with the FB program you can, I won't.

I’m actually very interested to see where Utah shakes out in this new CFB.

I’m not giving anyone a pass, I’m asking you for specific examples of what you would like to see CU do? I feel like you’re saying “admin is failing” but not offering any areas of where you’d like to see them improve.

Over the last 20 years we switched to a conference that appeals more to our alumni, we’ve built completely new and state of the art athletic and training facilities, RG has created an avenue for athletes to get connected with NIL opportunities, and the salary pool for coaches is bigger than ever. So again, what specifically would you like RG to do?
I would have liked RG to hire a HC that was going to be a success. He did that IMO with Tucker. He flailed after Tucker left. The rot goes right up to the top. The admin. has squandered all of the good you list in your post. Other schools prioritize athletics, allow some marginal applicants in for athletic reasons and field competitive teams. CU, apparently, does not. Utah is an example of a school that emphasizes FB. Are they a world beater? No. Will they win the CCG? They did last year, but it is doubtful they will win any more frequently than anybody not named USC.

You want ideas? Fair enough, pay me $1,000,000 a year and I will devote time to it. That's what CU is paying RG and his results are poor. I don't need to provide an action plan to criticize objectively poor results.

So Mekhi Blackmon, Jarek Broussard, Lil Shenault, D. Stanley, Mark Perry, all left for bags of cash. Who knew? They aren't all P12, but is CU better with them or without? Why did they leave? Probably because they could see the admin and the AD and staff are sub-par and can't get it done.

All this baloney about waving a white flag and accepting losing more than anybody else when Utah keeps chugging along with no more resources than CU.

I have adjusted my expectations. I don't think CU will ever be nationally relevant again. But, there is no reason they can't be a better than .500 team. If you want to let the people running the show off the hook for their utter failure to achieve squat with the FB program you can, I won't.
I'm not letting anyone off the hook, it's a failure of the people across the board to recognize what a good football program can do for the reputation of a University and to put their full support behind building a winner. I just don't view the specific issue of having an NIL slush fund as anyone's fault, really. We don't have the donor base.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they recover, even if Saliman got the Regents and a new Chancellor to go full football factory. Who are they tapping to help contribute to $12m/year HC and AC salary pools, $20m/year NIL slush funds, fully staff recruiting infrastructure, etc?

I'm not letting anyone off the hook, it's a failure of the people across the board to recognize what a good football program can do for the reputation of a University and to put their full support behind building a winner. I just don't view the specific issue of having an NIL slush fund as anyone's fault, really. We don't have the donor base.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they recover, even if Saliman got the Regents and a new Chancellor to go full football factory. Who are they tapping to help contribute to $12m/year HC and AC salary pools, $20m/year NIL slush funds, fully staff recruiting infrastructure, etc?
NIL changed the landscape, no doubt.

I hardly think you need the numbers in your post to be better than .500. You just need a commitment to the program. CU has not had that since 2003, and it shows.

It is possible that it is too late now. If it is, drop the to the Mtn. Weenie Div. and call it a day.

I think CU, if it committed to and supported, a FB effort, should be better than OSU, AZ, Cal, WSU, could be better than ASU and on occasion Stanford. Get 4 out of 9 wins in the P12 and win 2 out of 3 OOC and you are in a bowl. Are you telling me CU can't do that without a $20 million NIL slush fund?

I don't know, there's an entire thread here dedicated to all the (former) season ticker holders talking about why they aren't renewing and why they won't donate, and guys like manhattan, who claims to have knowledge of big booster activity at CU says most have shut it down. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to say the donations aren't pouring in right now. Even Kelli Brooks, the biggest visible donor we have, pledged $5m, but for down the road, not even a lump sum of cash right now. We aren't competing with any SEC program if they want one of our recruits.
You don’t have to take my word for it, BTW. Just look at the results.

Major donors help buy three things:

Bigger buildings
Best coaches
Best players

Since MT left, I fail to see much of anything, save for 2-3 assistants who are actually quality P5 level on field and on the road coaches.

Presuming the CU administration has and will be supportive of a successful football program, would the CU fan base support a NIL collective if CU was in Utah's shoes right now (recent football success)? I think my answer would be a resounding no. The CU fan base just doesn't have it in them to compete in this new college football world whether they had recent success or not.

Presuming the CU administration has and will be supportive of a successful football program, would the CU fan base support a NIL collective if CU was in Utah's shoes right now (recent football success)? I think my answer would be a resounding no. The CU fan base just doesn't have it in them to compete in this new college football world whether they had recent success or not.
I can't speak for others, but I would contribute to a collective, if, and only if, I believed in CU admin. For that to happen Dr. Phil cannot be anywhere near it. But I am not a big fish, probably not even a guppy. I would guess there are some big fish that might play if they thought it was worthwhile.

CU is not going to be able to mount NIL money like the SEC, or USC. I still contend they can be on par with and probably better than at least half of the P12. They aren't going to catch USC and Oregon, and schools like UW and fUCLA will likely generate more buzz/cash. But CU can at least get in the middle of the pack, no pun intended. If some believe they can't, I would like to know why.

Realistically, under the current regime, USC and maybe Oregon can play on the national stage, but the rest of the Pac is going to be second tier.

I can't speak for others, but I would contribute to a collective, if, and only if, I believed in CU admin. For that to happen Dr. Phil cannot be anywhere near it. But I am not a big fish, probably not even a guppy. I would guess there are some big fish that might play if they thought it was worthwhile.

CU is not going to be able to mount NIL money like the SEC, or USC. I still contend they can be on par with and probably better than at least half of the P12. They aren't going to catch USC and Oregon, and schools like UW and fUCLA will likely generate more buzz/cash. But CU can at least get in the middle of the pack, no pun intended. If some believe they can't, I would like to know why.

Realistically, under the current regime, USC and maybe Oregon can play on the national stage, but the rest of the Pac is going to be second tier.
We are still going to see a massive amount of change in college football in the next 5 years. There will be a governing body, rules, and regulations at some point. I don't question any of that.

Regardless of what happens, CU has decided to **** on its football program at the absolute worst time in the history of college football. You can't even make up those odds.

I don’t think you even have to go “full football factory” to have some modest success. You can start by looking at the schools we consider to be our peers (and yes, Utah falls into that category) and study what they do, how they go about their business, the relationship the school has with its athletic department, and the specific ways they achieve success. Then compare that to what we do. I feel like we are so caught up in being “CU” and doing it the “right way” that we have lost sight of what it means to do it the right way.

I think a committed budget of $8.5M ($100k per scholarship player per year) to have a solid roster. Then, relationships that can selectively commit more to your stars for NIL endorsements. That's not national Championship money, but it gives you a consistent winner if your program is coached and managed well.

I think a committed budget of $8.5M ($100k per scholarship player per year) to have a solid roster. Then, relationships that can selectively commit more to your stars for NIL endorsements. That's not national Championship money, but it gives you a consistent winner if your program is coached and managed well.
How do we get to even that? Gofundme for CU's NIL? LOL

Wow.

Nah. You can cut that budget in half and get the same return.

I can't really muster the anger here. Either RG/KD aren't even trying to raise money, which wouldn't be surprising. Or they are, but nobody looks at KD and thinks, yeah I'll light that money on fire.

Embree and Hawk are probably clearly worse coaches than KD, but the KD hire in the era it was done at the time it was done with the contract, man. Inexcusable.

I don't buy this crap that CU is doomed and cannot compete in this environment. Get rid of the dinosaurs, and install creative people who can sell. It's not about the institution anymore. Anyone who thinks that is totally out of touch.

Are there any lawyers out there that are going to challenge NIL in some way. It is Name, Image, and Likeness, not doing a Job, like playing Football.
If you cut your fingers off, that is worth like $15,000 per finger, market rate.

None of these players are actually trading their Name, Image, and Likeness for a value anywhere near even say $150,000 max
Shouldn't they be in commercials, producing content for an actual company, or creating value in some way.
Phillip Lindsay is a professional RB and he is not able to even likely get a small advertising gig.

Someone needs to put an end to this thing soon, preferably Congress

Back