What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TNFR RB Ramon Jefferson

Are there any lawyers out there that are going to challenge NIL in some way. It is Name, Image, and Likeness, not doing a Job, like playing Football.
If you cut your fingers off, that is worth like $15,000 per finger, market rate.

None of these players are actually trading their Name, Image, and Likeness for a value anywhere near even say $150,000 max
Shouldn't they be in commercials, producing content for an actual company, or creating value in some way.
Phillip Lindsay is a professional RB and he is not able to even likely get a small advertising gig.

Someone needs to put an end to this thing soon, preferably Congress
That's what RG brought up at the P12 meeting. It's pay for play, which is a major NCAA violation. NIL means the ability to earn money from endorsements.

Are there any lawyers out there that are going to challenge NIL in some way. It is Name, Image, and Likeness, not doing a Job, like playing Football.
If you cut your fingers off, that is worth like $15,000 per finger, market rate.

None of these players are actually trading their Name, Image, and Likeness for a value anywhere near even say $150,000 max
Shouldn't they be in commercials, producing content for an actual company, or creating value in some way.
Phillip Lindsay is a professional RB and he is not able to even likely get a small advertising gig.

Someone needs to put an end to this thing soon, preferably Congress
Congress ain’t gonna do anything about this issue, especially given how unified the SCOTUS is on this issue.

I disagree with the talk track that CU doesn’t have the ability to pay to compete with these sec schools. CU has a ton of wealthy alumni, we just don’t have a coach who can bring anyone together
Colorado has wealthy alumni. Too few of them are engaged with the AD about poneying up the money to fire a bad HC or making donations to fund NIL.

Colorado has wealthy alumni. Too few of them are engaged with the AD about poneying up the money to fire a bad HC or making donations to fund NIL.

Watch interviews with Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They're always decked out in CU gear. I can't for the life of me understand why the AD isn't in a dialogue with them.

Watch interviews with Trey Parker and Matt Stone. They're always decked out in CU gear. I can't for the life of me understand why the AD isn't in a dialogue with them.
1. No they’re not
2. How do you know they haven’t been approached about donations? FFS, I get asked for donations from CU once a week and I’m not worth a fraction of these guys.

Maybe the AD reached out and they said no? At other schools where sports are a thing, the boosters tell the AD when they want change. They put their money on the line. At Colorado, the AD selects the boosters he likes and goes into the bunker to defend his decisions.

Maybe the AD reached out and they said no? At other schools where sports are a thing, the boosters tell the AD when they want change. They put their money on the line. At Colorado, the AD selects the boosters he likes and goes into the bunker to defend his decisions.
It seemed that RG had it rolling when Mel was here. I recall hearing of multiple trips to meet with donors on the west coast. Having Mel front and center selling the program was producing results, for the short time it lasted. And I think Mel was at the Denver Country Club meeting with donors the night he decided to run off to ****sville (East Lansing). Can you imagine Rick presenting Karl to donors as a face for the program in the hopes of achieving support? I can’t.

1653138744037.jpeg

At least they could try and build some type of collective. Try and but a deal with Matt Stone and Trey Parker and create the Casa Bonita Collective. At least you would have great episodes of South Park to watch and make fun of this entire situation. It would get CU in the headlines and would probably bring in other investors. Build a brand around something like that and have their fame help. Sell out and go big. Push every boundary you can.

I know the above is beyond ridiculous but they are not even trying. There are ways to at least field a 500 team and they are not able to figure that out

There's a value difference.

And as much as I love Buff sports, I have trouble arguing with a general mindset that if you've got a million bucks to give to support CU that you're much more inclined to do something for the school you majored in or the general scholarship fund vs buying the football team a WR.

There's a value difference.

And as much as I love Buff sports, I have trouble arguing with a general mindset that if you've got a million bucks to give to support CU that you're much more inclined to do something for the school you majored in or the general scholarship fund vs buying the football team a WR.
And this mindset is why CU will never have a nationally relevant football program.

The NCAA rule is unconstitutional. They’re not going to do anything either.
How is the NCAA Rule unconstitutional? Are we talking pay to play or endorsements, because right now it is one pool of clusterf*ck
Honestly, just like every other institution in our country, CFB has been taken down a shyt hole path where money corrupts it

How is the NCAA Rule unconstitutional? Are we talking pay to play or endorsements, because right now it is one pool of clusterf*ck
Honestly, just like every other institution in our country, CFB has been taken down a shyt hole path where money corrupts it
You been under a rock? SCOTUS agreed on a 9:0 that players can get paid. Plus, the NCAA is subject to future anti-trust lawsuits if they intend to enforce whatever rules weren’t specifically overruled…

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate,” Kavanaugh wrote. “And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.”

There are two different arguments.

You may believe the current system stinks. That college football is in chaos. That there is no parity. You may like college football less now and in the future. That’s all fine, but it’s not a legal argument.

As far as putting the genie back in the bottle, it’s over unless extraordinary measures are taken in other branches of the federal government. As @manhattanbuff rightly points out, the SCOTUS has provided its opinion. There is no avenue for the NCAA to do anything on its own.

If you want CU to be good at football, you will need to pony up some cash. Simple as that. Do I think CU will find some whale donor to support the program? No, not the culture. Sorry. Will some teams get really good, really fast because of a big donor? Yep. It might be unexpected teams. As an example, CSU could be really good if Pat Stryker decided to open her substantial wallet, as she has in the past, and support, say, $3 million per year in NIL money.

I think the AD needs to show that it can build a reasonably competent program first. Yeah, the program may never be nationally prominent but it should be better than it is given what they spend
Yup. I’ve watched them squander tens of millions for 15 years with no regard for results and no interest in real improvement.

Last thing I’m gonna do is give them my hard earned money to waste.

They have to prove they can at least deliver mediocre results or need to show me they’re creative, exciting and have some Moneyball attitude. Otherwise the faucet will stay locked tight for many fans

Yup. I’ve watched them squander tens of millions for 15 years with no regard for results and no interest in real improvement.

Last thing I’m gonna do is give them my hard earned money to waste.

They have to prove they can at least deliver mediocre results or need to show me they’re creative, exciting and have some Moneyball attitude. Otherwise the faucet will stay locked tight for many fans
The wealthy donors who make the programs at Alabama, A&M, tOSU, etc. etc. possible aren't doing it because they want to see some poor kid from where ever get a break and give them a chance to experience the school they support.

They do it because they want to see results, result being wins. They want to be able to go to the country club or the lunch meeting or where ever else they run into their wealthy peers and be able to brag about their college football team.

Mostly these are people are used to success. They don't mind "investing" their money in a team but they expect results for their money. That $200,000 better result in a 4* WR. That $1,500,000 better mean I can tell my buddy from XX school that we are going to kick his butt this year. Put in $5,000,000 and I want to do lunch a few times with a coach who is taking us to bowl games.

What have we seen from the administration at CU that gives any indication that they care about winning football games. Somebody could pony up $25,000,000 and the administration would do it's best to make sure that the football program was "doing things the right way" in other words not trying to win.

They don't mind if they win some games but they don't want anyone thinking that winning is important to them, after all they are a "special" academic institution.

You been under a rock? SCOTUS agreed on a 9:0 that players can get paid. Plus, the NCAA is subject to future anti-trust lawsuits if they intend to enforce whatever rules weren’t specifically overruled…

“Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate,” Kavanaugh wrote. “And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.”
OK, so let's get a salary structure put into place like the NFL, that at least would be better than the wild wild west
$3.5 Million for a QB, while the RG that blocks for him gets a year supply of beef jerky
What would the salary cap be for a College Team? $40 million per year for 85 players?
FORCE the CFB and CFP to pony up enough money for all eligible teams to have such a salary cap
I want order and parity, one way or another, so CU can have a fighting chance!

OK, so let's get a salary structure put into place like the NFL, that at least would be better than the wild wild west
$3.5 Million for a QB, while the RG that blocks for him gets a year supply of beef jerky
What would the salary cap be for a College Team? $40 million per year for 85 players?
FORCE the CFB and CFP to pony up enough money for all eligible teams to have such a salary cap
I want order and parity, one way or another, so CU can have a fighting chance!
You’d have to enter into collective bargaining for that to occur. Perhaps you’d see it in a power elite conference with the best 32 or 40 teams in college football breaking away as their own NFL second division. Then, you can roll those players i to the NFLPA. Rest assured: Colorado won’t be one of those teams.

You’d have to enter into collective bargaining for that to occur. Perhaps you’d see it in a power elite conference with the best 32 or 40 teams in college football breaking away as their own NFL second division. Then, you can roll those players i to the NFLPA. Rest assured: Colorado won’t be one of those teams.
NFL Practice squad salary is $252,000 per season so that essentially should be the salary for the CFB. Each team gets 85 players period, I do not see room for walk-ons, because they too would have to be paid. Team total is about $22,000,000 x 64 teams is $1.4 Billion, so that is what the CFP pays the schools to keep this organization running

You would also have to recognize that the ink wouldn't even be dry before multiple schools were blatantly violating it.

No way are the schools (same schools that have always cheated the most) going to agree to an enforcement body or system that has teeth and no way are they going to allow themselves to be limited to the figures entered on the collective bargaining agreement.

Remember that these are the schools that have traditionally been the SEC, that made up the SWC, then the B12.

In their minds getting caught for cheating and slapped on the hand is nothing if it brings them a national championship.

Not only is CU not going to be one of those teams it also isn't going to be one of the teams willing to stretch the rules to gain and advantage. And yes even after the power elite conference (good name for it) separates off there will still be plenty of teams in the organization that is left who are also willing to look for an advantage.

You don't hear as much about it but there have been plenty of documented incidents of cheating even among FCS and D2 teams.

NFL Practice squad salary is $252,000 per season so that essentially should be the salary for the CFB. Each team gets 85 players period, I do not see room for walk-ons, because they too would have to be paid. Team total is about $22,000,000 x 64 teams is $1.4 Billion, so that is what the CFP pays the schools to keep this organization running
I don’t think the super league would be subject to those kinds of limits. Plus, the squads would be much smaller.

32 teams with 60 players = 1920 players. $800K average salary for $1.53 billion in salaries for players. Easily paid by current TV deals and supplemented by NFL.

Again, Colorado wouldn’t be involved, so no need to worry. There are not 64 teams that have enough TV drawing power. It is 32 with a max of 40.

Back