What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'22 TNFR RB Ramon Jefferson

You’d have to enter into collective bargaining for that to occur. Perhaps you’d see it in a power elite conference with the best 32 or 40 teams in college football breaking away as their own NFL second division. Then, you can roll those players i to the NFLPA. Rest assured: Colorado won’t be one of those teams.
You could do it as a conference. Profit share, player rights, etc. I'm sure the P12 is looking at this closely.

You could do it as a conference. Profit share, player rights, etc. I'm sure the P12 is looking at this closely.
Still would need collective bargaining even relative to a conference. Doubtful that a player union would agree to do something that would impede their mobility, for instance. Would need more far reaching footprint for it to make sense financially. U$C and Oregon probably won’t agree.

There's a value difference.

And as much as I love Buff sports, I have trouble arguing with a general mindset that if you've got a million bucks to give to support CU that you're much more inclined to do something for the school you majored in or the general scholarship fund vs buying the football team a WR.

As someone who went to school in the SEC (Vandy), my reaction to the idea that there are wealthy alumni at CU is that there's money and then there's real money. Vanderbilt has access to some really old lines of money, and yet it's not even in the game with the really big schools of the SEC. I went back to my five-year reunion, and there was a night where the Chancellor announced the money raised by each of the reunion classes. I figured, five years out, how much could my class actually donate to the school, and there were not that many people who came back for the five-year reunion anyway.

The donation number from my class dropped my jaw, and the total number donated (just from a reunion) altered my view of wealth forever. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it was stupid high. Vandy is a relatively small school, less than 5,000 undergrads. That there was that much discretionary wealth just laying around to be donated during a reunion is a systemic indictment of the way our system works (and who it works for).

So, I'm sure CU could accumulate a far more impressive donor pool, but I can't believe CU could possibly really compete, and the price of doing so would be higher than just the money paid out.

NFL Practice squad salary is $252,000 per season so that essentially should be the salary for the CFB. Each team gets 85 players period, I do not see room for walk-ons, because they too would have to be paid. Team total is about $22,000,000 x 64 teams is $1.4 Billion, so that is what the CFP pays the schools to keep this organization running

An idea like this makes sense but would the players still be getting free room, board and tuition? And what about Title IX? If the schools are forced to abide by Title IX and pay an equal number of women athletes then it becomes much more costly, not to mention all other scholarship athletes. The idea of paying players sounds rather simple on the surface but these are just some of the questions they'd need to figure out.

An idea like this makes sense but would the players still be getting free room, board and tuition? And what about Title IX? If the schools are forced to abide by Title IX and pay an equal number of women athletes then it becomes much more costly, not to mention all other scholarship athletes. The idea of paying players sounds rather simple on the surface but these are just some of the questions they'd need to figure out.
… hence NIL. The new NFL2 with schools licensing their names to the league is the only real option. I think Title IX blows up paying players and therefore any salary cap considerations.

I don’t think the super league would be subject to those kinds of limits. Plus, the squads would be much smaller.

32 teams with 60 players = 1920 players. $800K average salary for $1.53 billion in salaries for players. Easily paid by current TV deals and supplemented by NFL.

Again, Colorado wouldn’t be involved, so no need to worry. There are not 64 teams that have enough TV drawing power. It is 32 with a max of 40.
the sad part is 20 years ago, we would have been comfortably in. Oh well.

… hence NIL. The new NFL2 with schools licensing their names to the league is the only real option. I think Title IX blows up paying players and therefore any salary cap considerations.
I think that Football on College Campuses does need to become a separate enterprise to avoid full Title IX, and as many have said it would get ugly.
I have come to the conclusion that College Football is over for CU, and I would probably be fine dropping down to some lower division that has playoffs so we could at least enjoy trying to win something.

I think that Football on College Campuses does need to become a separate enterprise to avoid full Title IX, and as many have said it would get ugly.
I have come to the conclusion that College Football is over for CU, and I would probably be fine dropping down to some lower division that has playoffs so we could at least enjoy trying to win something.
Intramurals or something…

Back