What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 FL CB Cormani McClain (Signed to COLORADO)

Big college football doesn't care if you're a good kid or making good grades while playing school. They need you at practice, in meetings, and watching film. He'd still be at CU if he did the football part
My point is that he will end up at a P4 school. I'm sure he has more than one choice and he's not a high risk in today's CFB environment. We'll see.

Big college football doesn't care if you're a good kid or making good grades while playing school. They need you at practice, in meetings, and watching film. He'd still be at CU if he did the football part
Exactly. If he'd stolen a laptop, he'd have tons of offers. But the problems with Cormani are "football character" things - showing up out of shape, late or absent from meetings & practices, not studying film, not knowing playbook & calls so he'd be in man when zone was called, etc. That's a huge problem for a coach that most won't see as worth the risk, particularly when he's demanding a significant NIL bag.

My point is that he will end up at a P4 school. I'm sure he has more than one choice and he's not a high risk in today's CFB environment. We'll see.
I'll take that bet. He doesn't want an incentive-based deal at a P4 school and I would assume he's a bit nervous about actually having to work hard to see the field among similar level players. He'll take a lesser, guaranteed package from a G5 school where he feels he can step into a starting position without changing his ways. Book it.

Yes, odds are that some P4 program gives him another shot, but I find it odd that he's the only (high profile) guy in the portal that nobody at the recruiting services seems to know which programs even have interest. The last three schools he was mentioned with were UCF, USF and Memphis (I acknowledge that UCF is now a P4 program) and that was like 3 weeks ago. Since then, On3 has posted multiple times that he's receiving a lot of P4 interest and he's going to make a decision in the next week or two, but don't have any specific schools to name. Rinse and repeat.

My take has put me on the proverbial AllBuffs island, I see! I just don't think he's had strike three yet. I'll expect an equitable Tom Brady style roast if all of you are right.

Yes, odds are that some P4 program gives him another shot, but I find it odd that he's the only (high profile) guy in the portal that nobody at the recruiting services seems to know which programs even have interest. The last three schools he was mentioned with were UCF, USF and Memphis (I acknowledge that UCF is now a P4 program) and that was like 3 weeks ago. Since then, On3 has posted multiple times that he's receiving a lot of P4 interest and he's going to make a decision in the next week or two, but don't have any specific schools to name. Rinse and repeat.
There is no question that his reputation has caused a lot of problems. I'm fully on board with that sentiment.

You sure about that?
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

My take has put me on the proverbial AllBuffs island, I see! I just don't think he's had strike three yet. I'll expect an equitable Tom Brady style roast if all of you are right.
I think if it was the old days of risking a scholarship while finding boosters who are happy to give him a car, his mom a nice home to live in, jewelry, free tats, and thousands in walking around money that increases based on performance - then, yeah, he'd have dozens of significant offers. But hitting up boosters for hundreds of thousands (or even 7 figures) in commitments to him for next season is a major risk because coaches don't want to tap that network hard for guys they believe are likely bad bets with big upside if they somehow pay off.

I think if it was the old days of risking a scholarship while finding boosters who are happy to give him a car, his mom a nice home to live in, jewelry, free tats, and thousands in walking around money that increases based on performance - then, yeah, he'd have dozens of significant offers. But hitting up boosters for hundreds of thousands (or even 7 figures) in commitments to him for next season is a major risk because coaches don't want to tap that network hard for guys they believe are likely bad bets with big upside if they somehow pay off.
That's totally a major risk. I'm sure the P4 offers don't include that now and he's recalibrating what the market is offering him. The question is, and this is to Lama's take, will he go G5 with perhaps some marginal NIL or will he stick with a P4 offer. I think he has P4 offers, just not with the NIL he was anticipating.

Reactions: GRM
That's totally a major risk. I'm sure the P4 offers don't include that now and he's recalibrating what the market is offering him. The question is, and this is to Lama's take, will he go G5 with perhaps some marginal NIL or will he stick with a P4 offer. I think he has P4 offers, just not with the NIL he was anticipating.
I think there are some G5s (like USF) that are looking to move up and their boosters may put a premium on making a splash. And the risk is also lower because his talent can carry him against AAC opponents much more often than it could against a P4 schedule.

I think there are some G5s (like USF) that are looking to move up and their boosters may put a premium on making a splash. And the risk is also lower because his talent can carry him against AAC opponents much more often than it could against a P4 schedule.
Valid point. I could see that path for him.

In some ways, the fact that he doesn't have any single "mistake" that is the reason he's in the portal may make it more difficult for him to find a landing spot in the P4.

Think about all the meetings that he had with different coaches and conversations he had with other players (over the course of 18 months or so?) about just coming to meetings on time, showing the barest minimum of interest, energy, and commitment to playing football, and he couldn't get himself to do that incredibly simple part.

Sure, the light comes on for different people at different times, but we all know lots of people who never had the light turn on, at all. He's young and has--at least--another chance to get himself figured out.

One of the aspects of the new NIL system is that players with high-end talent, who expect to be paid big money for that talent, are then expected to act like professional athletes at a younger age. There are going to be quite a few who don't get that figured out in time.

This is where he fits.

He is a top end P5 physical talent who doesn't have the mental/emotional habits that make a guy successful at the top level of P5 football.

A team that already has top end physical talent isn't going to touch him because they worry about his attitude and approach rubbing off on other players. They also have confidence that they can find somebody who is close to him physically (high end 3*) who doesn't come with those question marks.

A team that is trying to catch up physically and has a roster of mid to low 3* talent may be willing to bring him in thinking they can turn around the habits and attitudes.

For coaches facing less talented roster situations this can be worth the risk. Attitudes and habits can change, it's hard and not common but it can happen. All the hard work in the world doesn't turn the great attitude and effort kid from a 4.55 to a 4.40.

Talent gives a guy extra chances even at the highest levels. We've seen it in the pros

Why hasn't USF or UCF just pulled the trigger, that is very concerning in my opinion.
Even someone like Nick Williams at Syracuse did not swoop in and take a shot at him is concerning
Wish him well, but we are more than relieved of any bad look on this one.

Last edited:
Tons of interest across the P4, they're just not going to provide any specifics on which programs those are... Lol, really feels like a last ditch effort for his handlers to create fake demand in order to get someone to bite.

Didn't they say he'd commit in 1-2 weeks a couple of weeks ago? Aren't programs scrambling to fill spots? But they are going to hold a spot for Cormani? Doesn't this sound like bullsh*t?

Didn't they say he'd commit in 1-2 weeks a couple of weeks ago? Aren't programs scrambling to fill spots? But they are going to hold a spot for Cormani? Doesn't this sound like bullsh*t?

Obviously Hank.

The fact that he signed with an agency to represent his NIL deal(s) is telling. They are likely paid a % of whatever they land for him, and maybe guaranteed him some minimum payment that will never materialize. They are absolutely going to try to steer him to the most profitable location vs the best location for the player.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see how this is playing out in reality. I'm sure the agent and the McClain family are scrambling. Total **** show.

@WasianCU nailed it. This is not about a scholarship offer, but a major NIL offer.

Yuri Wright missed out on $1M easy being born too soon.

True... Yuri Wright just did not grow in size. Also, he had concussion issues. Starting early as a True Frosh can have some drawbacks. However, he graduated from CU, so I'm still a Yuri Wright fan.

I still think grades matter to a degree. They demonstrate that a player is serious about life. Appears, Cormani has a long-way to go in that department.

I'll wish O. Cooper well in landing back at FSU. I think having a previous coach vouch for you/your effort still means a lot.

True... Yuri Wright just did not grow in size. Also, he had concussion issues. Starting early as a True Frosh can have some drawbacks. However, he graduated from CU, so I'm still a Yuri Wright fan.

I still think grades matter to a degree. They demonstrate that a player is serious about life. Appears, Cormani has a long-way to go in that department.

I'll wish O. Cooper well in landing back at FSU. I think having a previous coach vouch for you/your effort still means a lot.
YW also did nothing at CU for work, just like McClain

YW also did nothing at CU for work, just like McClain

My point with YW was his slight was that he could not grow, not because he did not want to, but because his body did not fill out--i.e. growth spurt. He was 165 in year 3. CM 175 in yer 2. For YW even Mike Mac (not the coach who recruited him) defended him, and he stayed at CU and graduated. Not sure what, if any perks he was given other than a schollie back in those days. I feel for the kid, and fb recruits like him that appear to have tremendous upside out of HS but never hit that growth spurt.

My point with YW was his slight was that he could not grow, not because he did not want to, but because his body did not fill out--i.e. growth spurt. He was 165 in year 3. CM 175 in yer 2. For YW even Mike Mac (not the coach who recruited him) defended him, and he stayed at CU and graduated. Not sure what, if any perks he was given other than a schollie back in those days. I feel for the kid, and fb recruits like him that appear to have tremendous upside out of HS but never hit that growth spurt.
A growth spurt is not an excuse - had he consumed sufficient calories with the appropriate macros and micros he would have no problem gaining quality weight.

He just simply didn't work.

This is stupid. Growth spurt? There's nothing keeping someone from gaining 20 lbs of muscle of they actually want to put in the work. Supplements, training tables, nutritionists, and a college S&C program will put the right weight on anyone if the person actually puts in the work.

A growth spurt is not an excuse - had he consumed sufficient calories with the appropriate macros and micros he would have no problem gaining quality weight.

He just simply didn't work.
Some guys simply don't gain weight, their body doesn't do it no matter what they do, Yuri didn't gain much weight in the pros either.

The didn't work part though is right. He like Cormani was so much better than guys in high school that he could dominate without working hard, he continued the path in Boulder. As a result his technique, his knowledge of the game didn't improved in a way that showed on the field.

When he got to the NFL and managed to make a roster he got the message. "Work like a pro, study, learn, practice hard, get better, or you can be back on the street without a job in the time it takes us to fax paperwork to the league office.

He finally listened and had a solid career but I wonder how much better his career could have been had he worked harder in college and gone into the pros better prepared.

This is stupid. Growth spurt? There's nothing keeping someone from gaining 20 lbs of muscle of they actually want to put in the work. Supplements, training tables, nutritionists, and a college S&C program will put the right weight on anyone if the person actually puts in the work.
You put the med in Medford

If that’s the case why was Sauce Gardner drafted in the first round at 175lbs?

Last edited:
Some guys simply don't gain weight, their body doesn't do it no matter what they do, Yuri didn't gain much weight in the pros either.

The didn't work part though is right. He like Cormani was so much better than guys in high school that he could dominate without working hard, he continued the path in Boulder. As a result his technique, his knowledge of the game didn't improved in a way that showed on the field.

When he got to the NFL and managed to make a roster he got the message. "Work like a pro, study, learn, practice hard, get better, or you can be back on the street without a job in the time it takes us to fax paperwork to the league office.

He finally listened and had a solid career but I wonder how much better his career could have been had he worked harder in college and gone into the pros better prepared.
Yuri Wright never played in the NFL

Back