What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Edit to add article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/7/22/mens-basketball-buffs-announce-nonconference-home-dates

"
BOULDER – Colorado men's basketball will usher in its return to the Big 12 Conference with eight home games during the nonconference portion of its schedule, head coach Tad Boyle announced on Monday.

The Buffaloes will host three teams that advanced to postseason play in 2023-24 and two programs that won their respective league's regular season championship.

Colorado tips its season off with reigning Big Sky Conference champion Eastern Washington on Monday, Nov. 4. The Eagles were 21-11 overall and 15-3 before being upset in the first round of the Big Sky Tournament. The Buffaloes stay in the Big Sky for a regional showdown with Northern Colorado on Friday, Nov. 8. UNC, 19-14 overall last year, tied for second in the Big Sky and participated in the College Basketball Invitational postseason tournament.

The Buffaloes warm up for their trip to the prestigious Maui Invitational with games against Cal State Fullerton on Wednesday, Nov. 13 and Harvard on Sunday, Nov. 17.

Colorado's nonconference home schedule is split evenly on both sides of its trip to Maui, Nov. 25-27, with four games before and four after. The bracket for the Maui Invitational, which includes NCAA champion UConn, North Carolina, Auburn along with other elite programs, has yet to be announced.

Following a first-time meeting with Pacific on Monday, Dec. 2, the basketball edition of the Rocky Mountain Showdown returns to Boulder as Colorado hosts Colorado State on Saturday, Dec. 7. The Rams are coming off a 25-11 season that included a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

The Buffaloes face a second-straight formidable challenge in less than a week by hosting 2024 NCAA Tournament participant South Dakota State on Friday, Dec. 13. The Jackrabbits were 22-13 last season and won both the Summit League regular season and tournament titles.

Colorado will end nonconference play with a first-time match up with Bellarmine out of the Atlantic Sun Conference on Saturday, Dec. 21, as a final tune up before its 20-game Big 12 schedule begins.

Times and television for Colorado's nonconference home games will be announced at a later date.

Colorado men's basketball season tickets are on sale now at https://cubuffs.evenue.net/events/MBS.
"

Geoguessr Wow GIF by Rainbolt

I wonder if Tad/CU discussed this schedule at all with whoever does basketball strategy for the BIG 12 overall? The BIG 12 was criticized for a lot of teams (especially weaker teams in the BIG 12) having a weak non-con and maybe gaming the NET rankings.

Even without considering the tough conference schedule the BIG 12 brings, it makes sense for CU to schedule light next year given the roster turnover and the uncertainty that brings (+ Maui).

South Dakota State is a good program. No need to overload the schedule with Maui and the Big XXII gauntlet.

I guess a possible silver lining to the Big 12 move is bad losses in Nov & Dec won't hurt as much as it did in the Pac-12. Although I think we'd all prefer if that wasn't tested.

South Dakota State is a good program. No need to overload the schedule with Maui and the Big XXII gauntlet.
Let me add this-Eastern Washington won the Big Sky regular season title. I know Riley went to Wazzu and took 5 of their guys with him, but they hired Dan Monson. If you remember some of the interviews he did during the NCAAs.....I think he'll be able to keep that going. UNC finished 2nd.

Way-Too-Early Rankings:
Four (KU/Houston/IowaSt/Baylor) Big12 Teams inTop10; Zona seems more Top-15; Cinci solid Top20-25? BYU/TxTech/K-St getting on a least 1 Top25 list. CU may prove they are closer to finishing Top-7 in Big-12 than 10th if they show-out @MauiInvite:UConn/Auburn/IowaSt/UNC are all Top10 teams; Michigan St & Dayton may be more Top-35; with Memphis only non-NCAA team I see there? I don't think CU even needs to beat Trojans or Flyers to show they are Top-35 also? Strong enough showing could help Buffs' NET Strength of Schedule enough to make an argument for Top35? Gotta hope BYU/ TX Tech/ K-State have early stumbles also?

Clarification: it is more "Net Value of Efficiency" that could benefit Buffs playing well against elite competition, even if they don't win game, versus SOS. Where-as "Team Value Index" rewards actual results, ie: upsets. These are top-2 factors in NET- see article below. But, yes, Buffs ultimately need good wins in Quads 1 & 2, and need to avoid bad loses in Quads 3 & 4 to ultimately get NCAA-bid & get decent-seed! NET probably doesn't help mid-majors, but definitely helps Power Conferences!

Maybe I should hope for more Big12 teams in Top-30 vs. Top-35, since this is the cut-off for Quad 1 Home Wins?

Also, there are four quadrants based on where your opponent is ranked, you will hear about Quad 1 and Quad 2 records. For example, San Diego State is ranked 21st and is 2-3 in Quad 1, while Utah State is 24th and is 0-1 in Quad 1 and 2-2 Quad 4. This means that while the Aztecs do have 3 loses, they are to high caliber teams and will not affect their seeding in the tournament. The Aggies however, lost their only Quad 1 game (Boise State ranked 25), and have lost 2 games they should have won in Quad 4. The divisions for the quadrants are:

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.

Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.

Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.

Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

Beginning in 2020, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and scoring margin were all dropped from the NET ranking. Therefore, only team value and team value index are used to ranked teams. So, the only factors which go into the rankings are efficiency (offensive points per possession minus opponents points per possession), strength of opponents played, location of game, wins and losses, and who won the game.

Good time to break down the OOC schedule:

Pre Maui

Eastern Washington
Northern Colorado
CSU Fullerton
Harvard

Post Maui

Pacific
Colorado State
South Dakota State
Bellamie

Who knows what kind of team EWU will have but the same thing could be said for us. I will not be surprised if this ends up being a challenging game. UNC is definitely going to challenge us and then that is followed up by two lightweights in Fullerton and Harvard. The last two would be good to fix some early issues before going to the Maui Tournament.

I'm not expecting much out of the Maui Tournament but it's just a good way to see where CU's players measure up before B12 play and then take on WCC weakling Pacific to iron out some issues before the CSU and SDSU games. The good news is that the CSU and SDSU games are separated by about a week before closing out with a softie before beginning B12 play.

I'm guessing that at least seven of those eight games will be on ESPN+ with CSU being the exception.

I'm hoping for 4-0 Pre Maui and 3-1 Post Maui.

Pre Maui

Eastern Washington
Northern Colorado
CSU Fullerton
Harvard

Post Maui

Pacific
Colorado State
South Dakota State
Bellamie

Who knows what kind of team EWU will have but the same thing could be said for us. I will not be surprised if this ends up being a challenging game. UNC is definitely going to challenge us and then that is followed up by two lightweights in Fullerton and Harvard. The last two would be good to fix some early issues before going to the Maui Tournament.

I'm not expecting much out of the Maui Tournament but it's just a good way to see where CU's players measure up before B12 play and then take on WCC weakling Pacific to iron out some issues before the CSU and SDSU games. The good news is that the CSU and SDSU games are separated by about a week before closing out with a softie before beginning B12 play.

I'm guessing that at least seven of those eight games will be on ESPN+ with CSU being the exception.

I'm hoping for at least 1 win in Maui. I think that's doable.

Pre Maui

Eastern Washington
Northern Colorado
CSU Fullerton
Harvard

Post Maui

Pacific
Colorado State
South Dakota State
Bellamie

3-1 and 3-1 would be fantastic. This team lost its top 6 players. Even if we replaced them with similar talent (which we aren't) it's going to take some time to gel which might lead to a stumble or two.

3-1 and 3-1 would be fantastic. This team lost its top 6 players. Even if we replaced them with similar talent (which we aren't) it's going to take some time to gel which might lead to a stumble or two.
And there's almost always an Omar Strong game that causes heartburn.

Pre Maui

Eastern Washington
Northern Colorado
CSU Fullerton
Harvard

Post Maui

Pacific
Colorado State
South Dakota State
Bellamie

We need to go 8-0 in those

Yes there are some holes to be filled but you could say that for most teams across the country. Given what ahoelsken said about EWU, I'd be pissed if the Buffs stumble against EWU. So based on what you are saying, we would stumble against UNC in that case.

I'm hoping for at least 1 win in Maui. I think that's doable.

That is the goal...a win in Maui.

That would be great.

With all of that inexperience and lack of a top tier talent as a go to scorer... 6-2 would be good for that roster. 2-6 could be a possibility, there are some sneaky tough games: Harvard, Fullerton, Pacific, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Lambs

With all of that inexperience and lack of a top tier talent as a go to scorer... 6-2 would be good for that roster. 2-6 could be a possibility, there are some sneaky tough games: Harvard, Fullerton, Pacific, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Lambs
All eight of those games are in Boulder, and you seriously think we could lose 6 of them?

Did you give our resident Debbie Downer Snow your PW or something?

Way-Too-Early Rankings:
Four (KU/Houston/IowaSt/Baylor) Big12 Teams inTop10; Zona seems more Top-15; Cinci solid Top20-25? BYU/TxTech/K-St getting on a least 1 Top25 list. CU may prove they are closer to finishing Top-7 in Big-12 than 10th if they show-out @MauiInvite:UConn/Auburn/IowaSt/UNC are all Top10 teams; Michigan St & Dayton may be more Top-35; with Memphis only non-NCAA team I see there? I don't think CU even needs to beat Trojans or Flyers to show they are Top-35 also? Strong enough showing could help Buffs' NET Strength of Schedule enough to make an argument for Top35? Gotta hope BYU/ TX Tech/ K-State have early stumbles also?
page front GIF

Back