What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Just stop.

After I posted my predictions before you posted yours, it's funny that your recent predictions are almost the same as my predictions. You might as well stop too but since you are not stopping, why should I?

In today's portal & NIL world, would losing starters sting as much as it used to in the pre-portal & NIL world? Probably not.

Derrick White was nowhere to be found near the kind of awards that Elijah Malone has done especially the award that goes to the best D3, D2, and NAIA player in the WHOLE COUNTRY. That is not a dig at White by any means. I'm sure Malone was the D2 player of the year as well and in that case, he's definitely better than a good number of D1 players out there. You don't see a 6'10" 280 pound basketball player in Boulder very often and you would have better luck finding that big and tall hairy creature roaming out in the wild. Malone played in 139 games over four years with at least 116 starts.

Andrej Jakimovski has played in 120 games at Washington State. And we have Trevor Baskin, the D2 guy from Colorado Mesa, who has appeared in 93 games. He's 6'9" too.

That's over 300 games played in and over 250 career starts between three players. Yes two of them will have to adjust to a higher classification but they garnered some postseason honors especially Malone being the top non-D1 player in the country. Those two know how to get the job done relative to their competition and with that experience, they can figure out how to get it done at the Big 12 level.

Yes losing five starters and a sixth man would be of serious concern and result in a worse record for sure but we got Tad Boyle and at least half of those positions have been filled with three players through the transfer portal with a lot of playing experience. And why should you doubt Tad Boyle who just sent three players to the NBA via the draft this week? Surely there are a few other current CU players who are ready to step up to the challenge.

Over at the Big 12 Preview football thread that I created, you just laughed at the suggestion of doing the same thing for basketball. Maybe you ought to stop right now and work on that Big 12 basketball thread and present the hard numbers that back your talk I have seen from you all offseason long.

And back to the season prediction, there are at least six Big 12 games CU should win at home and then you have one at OSU on the road. That's seven wins minimum. There are four other road games that are winnable but if the Buffs can take half of those, that's NINE WINS IN CONFERENCE PLAY for a 9-11 record. And if we pull off an upset against Kansas or someone like that, that's a .500 record in our first year of Big 12 play.

Again, you were the one who were talking all season about how bad this upcoming season was going to be and that was before the conference schedule was released then you came up with similar predictions that I posted. Now just wait for the rest of the schedule and also the full schedule to see how it flows.

And that Maui tourney could better prepare CU for conference play so that makes me feel more confident of a .500 record or close to it in B12 play.
The whole reason Tad said his CU job got tougher-but better-w/ joining BIG12 is strength of schedule & high number of Quad 1&2 games makes a big difference in getting to tourney. Yes, we have to win enough of those Q1&2s, & avoid bad loses. But the years of our Tourney Future being dependent on a few high SOS games are over. The road to the tourney has a multitude of paths for CU now-& every year! Finishing .500 in conference has to remain yearly goal; even in #1 conference in Country! I agree w/ Bison: Maui Invite couldn’t have come on a better year, as it should keep us w/ a Top-50 SOS. I appreciate all our posters views & predictions (except maybe Mr Pessimist Da Lama), but we gotta play the games now!

I will say I feel good about our chances to finish .500 in Big-12, Finish Conference 6-8 & get decent Tourney Seed (But I am Mr Optimist). 9 &10th best Big12 teams may be Bubble Teams in New World Order of Mega-Conferences? This would make us about Top-35 Team; which could happen, if Tad gets us back to Top-20 D? But I have as much evidence for that (NONE)- as the rest of the posters here have for their view-points & predictions! GO BUFFS! GoBuffs! Go🦬’s!

The whole reason Tad said his CU job got tougher-but better-w/ joining BIG12 is strength of schedule & high number of Quad 1&2 games makes a big difference in getting to tourney. Yes, we have to win enough of those Q1&2s, & avoid bad loses. But the years of our Tourney Future being dependent on a few high SOS games are over. The road to the tourney has a multitude of paths for CU now-& every year! Finishing .500 in conference has to remain yearly goal; even in #1 conference in Country! I agree w/ Bison: Maui Invite couldn’t have come on a better year, as it should keep us w/ a Top-50 SOS. I appreciate all our posters views & predictions (except maybe Mr Pessimist Da Lama), but we gotta play the games now!

I will say I feel good about our chances to finish .500 in Big-12, Finish Conference 6-8 & get decent Tourney Seed (But I am Mr Optimist). 9 &10th best Big12 teams may be Bubble Teams in New World Order of Mega-Conferences? This would make us about Top-35 Team; which could happen, if Tad gets us back to Top-20 D? But I have as much evidence for that (NONE)- as the rest of the posters here have for their view-points & predictions! GO BUFFS! GoBuffs! Go🦬’s!

CU is definitely not the only Big 12 team affected by the portal and the way we predict how a team can do the following season isn't the same as it used to be so all we can do is watch the games and debate here.

I would not be anywhere near as optimistic as I am right now if we didn't get Elijah Malone from the NAIA ranks. We needed a big body and with big bodied players like Battey and Lampkin, we have done good. No doubt Lampkin has gave Tad intel about the Big 12 after three seasons at TCU. And we have Danny Manning as a new assistant coach with all that Big 12 experience.

As for the Maui invite, those experienced transfers would just need a few hard bumps & elbows in the face to realize they are not in D2 and NAIA anymore and get in gear. I would have hated a soft OOC schedule before getting punched in the face when it really counts in the B12.

We are in much better shape than before we left for the Pac 12. The teams from the Keg used to have to either practice at Balch or a local high school if the floor was being used by one team. Now we have the facilities that we need to have competitive teams and it's just a matter of the coaches getting the right players into the building. Again, three Buff players to the NBA via the Draft...trust in Tad!

Re: Players transferring up divisions or into better conferences

I think stories like Dalton Knecht's (a player going from JUCO/DII/Obscure mid major to impact player in a major conference) are going to become the norm. We saw it ourselves with D. White (so dumb he had to sit out a year /edit/ because of stupid transfer rules).

There have always been gifted players in lower divisions and the gap has been shrinking. I'm going into next season with low expectations which makes it all the more fun to see if Malone or Baskin can make that jump to be impact players right away.

Last edited:
Re: Players transferring up divisions or into better conferences

I think stories like Dalton Knecht's (a player going from JUCO/DII/Obscure mid major to impact player in a major conference) are going to become the norm. We saw it ourselves with D. White (so dumb he had to sit out a year).

There have always been gifted players in lower divisions and the gap has been shrinking. I'm going into next season with low expectations which makes it all the more fun to see if Malone or Baskin can make that jump to be impact players right away.
Took me a minute to figure out that you were not insulting Derrick White's intelligence.

Back