What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 WBB Team

Regardless of what you think of the Big 12 v the Pac 12 in terms of WBB, the bottom line is that the Buffs are not going to have the talent they did last season and are going to have a tough time making the NCAA tourney in '25 with the roster they have now. Success on the court is going to require two to three newcomers to be 1st or 2nd team all-conference caliber performers.

So who on the current roster is going to have the immpact of Sherrod, Miller and Vonleh?

At PG it would have to be either Kindyll Wetta or Kennedy Sanders.

At power forward Diew, Betson or Masogayo.

In the post, Johnson or Nworie.

I figure that both Garzon and Teder will basically have the some role and impact (moree or less) as Maddie Nolan did last season.
Keep in mind that Frida and Sara-Rose are coming back too. I think that things are unsettled but not necessarily grim.

Last edited:
Roster as of 5/17

Sara-Rose Smith 6-1 5th Yr.
Frida Formann 5-11 5th Yr.
Nyamer Diew 6-2 5th Yr.
Lior Garzon 6-1 5th Yr
Johanna Teder 5-8 5th Yr.
Kindyll Wetta 5-9 Sr.

JoJo Nworie 6-5 Jr. - assuming she'll get a fifth year granted due to injuries
Jade Masogayo 6-3 jr.

Ayianna Johnson 6-3 So.

Kennedy Sanders 5-8 Fr. - R
Tabitha Betson 6-2 Fr.
Lova Lagerlid 6-0 Fr.
Grace Oliver 6-1 Fr.
Erin Powell 6-0 Fr.

Regardless of what you think of the Big 12 v the Pac 12 in terms of WBB, the bottom line is that the Buffs are not going to have the talent they did last season and are going to have a tough time making the NCAA tourney in '25 with the roster they have now. Success on the court is going to require two to three newcomers to be 1st or 2nd team all-conference caliber performers.

So who on the current roster is going to have the immpact of Sherrod, Miller and Vonleh?

At PG it would have to be either Kindyll Wetta or Kennedy Sanders.

At power forward Diew, Betson or Masogayo.

In the post, Johnson or Nworie.

I figure that both Garzon and Teder will basically have the some role and impact (moree or less) as Maddie Nolan did last season.

The current roster does not have a replacement for Sherrod, Miller or Vonleh. I don't see any of the incoming players have that role.

You don't mention Frida. Frida will be a key contributor this season.

You don't mention Frida. Frida will be a key contributor this season.
It was intentional. Not because she won't be an extremely important player for the '24-'25 Buffs, but because without consistent scoring in the post it will be difficult for her and anyone else to get open looks from the perimeter.

The last two seasons with Vonleh and Miller CU had good interior scoring options. This season that is a huge question mark.

It's hard to get a bead on the incoming transfers as well as Tabitha Betson and Kennedy Sanders. Until proven otherwise, I'm going with some optimism for the WBB Buffs based on our coaching staff and the relatively easier conference.

Ill Be There Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

BIG congrats to Ms. Sherrod for being named the Buff's female honoree for the Pac 12's top award! (I'll also be posting the tweet and linked to article in the individual sports offseason thread, but obviously also wish BIG congrats to skiing great Mr. Boee!)

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/6/17/...od-awarded-pac-12-tom-hansen-conference-medal

"
BOULDER — Colorado's Magnus Boee and Jaylyn Sherrod were announced as the university's Pac-12 Tom Hansen Conference Medal recipients on Monday.

A Conference Medal is awarded annually to each member institution's outstanding senior male and female student-athlete based on the exhibition of the greatest combination of performance and achievement in scholarship, athletics and leadership.

Conference medal winners have been named annually since the 1960-61 academic year. In 2009, the Pac-12 renamed the award the Tom Hansen Conference Medal in honor of Hansen, who retired at the end of June 2009 after serving for 26 years as Commissioner of the Pac-10.

Jaylyn Sherrod, Women's Basketball (Birmingham, Ala.)

Led team to 3 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, including back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances … 2024 WBCA (honorable mention) … 2024 AP All-America (honorable mention) … 2024 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year … Third Buff in program history to record over 1,000 points (1,483) and 600 (645) assists in her career … Ranks first in games started (133) and second in games played (140) … Second all-time in program history with 645 career assists … Two-time Pac-12 All-Conference … Three-time Pac-12 All-Defensive Team … Three-time Pac-12 Player of the Week … Pac-12 Freshman of the Week (12/30/19) … 2020 Pac-12 All-Freshman … 2022-23 Pac-12 leader in assists (167) and steals (78) … Two-time USBWA Player of the Week … 2023 Paradise Jam All-Tournament … ESPN National Player of the Week (Jan. 1, 2024) … Three-time AP Player of the Week … Career averages: 10.6 points, 4.6 assists, 2.0 steals, 3.1 rebounds … 2024 Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year … Four-Time Pac-12 Academic Honor Roll … Two-time College Sports Communicators Academic All-District … Two-time 4.0 Club Award … Three-time Dean's List … 10-time AD's Honor Roll … BA in three years … MS in one year … Second master's degree in Criminal Justice in progress; will complete May 2025 … 2022 Byron R. White Leadership and Initiative Award.
"

(Full release from the conference - https://pac-12.com/article/2024/06/17/pac-12-conference-names-2023-24-tom-hansen-medal-winners )

You guys know I have been a long time fan, cheering the women's basketball team through the good times and the bad times.

I can't get the least bit excited about next season and it's because of the transfer portal and NIL.

I love me some Wetta and Formann.

Assistant Coach Alex Earl is moving on. She had her 2nd child and hasn't enjoyed the traveling since her first child was born. She got herself a local job and she won't have to travel. Now we are looking for an assistant coach.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/6/27/womens-basketball-big-12-sets-conference-pairings-for-2024-25

"

Big 12 Sets Conference Pairings for 2024-25​

The conference sets opponents for an 18-game slate

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

IRVING, Texas —
The Colorado women's basketball team learned its conference opponents and destinations for the 2024-25 season with the Big 12's announcement of league pairings on Thursday.

Colorado's return to the Big 12 will consist of an 18-game schedule. Dates and times will be released later on.

The Buffaloes will host Arizona, Arizona State, Kansas, Kansas State, Houston and Central Florida.

CU will visit the likes of BYU, Utah, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Cincinnati.

Colorado will complete the schedule with home and away contests against Texas Tech, West Virginia and Baylor.

The 2024-25 season will mark the first time the Buffs match up with West Virginia on the hardwood. The Buffs and the Bearcats met last season for the first time in the Paradise Jam Classic in St. Thomas.

In addition to the three other former Pac-12 schools making the jump to the Big 12, the Buffs have faced Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Kansas State in the last three seasons.

Colorado owns a lengthy series history with former and now current Big 12 rivals Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech.

Colorado's visit to Provo will be its first since Nov. 23, 1996. The Buffs and Cougars last met in the 2003 NCAA Tournament at the CU Events Center.

CU and Houston haven't met since the 2000-01 season, while the Buffs and UCF haven't played since the 2008-09 season.

Season tickets are on sale now at https://cubuffs.evenue.net/events/WBS.

Current season ticket holders can renew their tickets until 5 p.m. on June 28. To renew, please log in to your existing account here or call 303-492-8282.
"

Thought the women were going to have a 20 game slate like the men but is having a 18 game slate and the round robin teams are BU, TT, and WVU. WVU road trip will probably be coupled with the Cincy game during the same week/weekend.

Going to post last year's Big 12 standings to see how the Buffs could do with that schedule. Not the best thing to do but it's a start.

1719867496509.png

That home slate doesn't look too difficult (8-1) and should win more than half of the time on the road (6-3 imo). CU certainly should be able to contend for the B12 title this year.

Now do a combined look at last season with the teams who will be in the Big 12. I don't think we have the players to do all that great. I know we have Frida and Kindyll, but we don't have anyone else who is an outstanding player in my mind at this time.

We don't even know how the team will fit together. Frida is in Europe with the Finnish National Team at present. The article on Channel 9 yesterday talked about 5 of the many transfers. The Texas Tech player has not played in a D1 game since 2022. She never got in a game due to injuries.

To me, the transfer from Iowa State looks to be the best player on paper.

I want to see how they play as a team before doing any predictions.

Now do a combined look at last season with the teams who will be in the Big 12. I don't think we have the players to do all that great. I know we have Frida and Kindyll, but we don't have anyone else who is an outstanding player in my mind at this time.

We don't even know how the team will fit together. Frida is in Europe with the Finnish National Team at present. The article on Channel 9 yesterday talked about 5 of the many transfers. The Texas Tech player has not played in a D1 game since 2022. She never got in a game due to injuries.

lots of unknowns with this team for sure.

All good points but keep in mind that half of the Big 12 will still be pretty new to the Big 12 itself so no knowing how that goes. Also if you look at who finished in the bottom half of the returning members plus ASU, you could expect at least eight Big 12 wins in that case. While men's basketball going from the Pac-12 to the Big 12 is a step up in competition, I'd say the opposite is true in women's basketball.

congrats to both. tbh I did not remember Alina with the buffs
I had to look her up to remind myself. She only played one season at CU (14-15) before returning to Europe. Hartmann played in 31 games that season coming off the bench for an average of 8.5 minutes per game and 2.5ppg.

I had to look her up to remind myself. She only played one season at CU (14-15) before returning to Europe. Hartmann played in 31 games that season coming off the bench for an average of 8.5 minutes per game and 2.5ppg.
saw that in the article and made me wonder about team Germany

Alina was here for one season. She did not want to be a student. She wanted to play basketball only so went home to Germany to do just that.

She also didn't care the the Lappe coaching style.

Back