What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Accountability

I’m not sure this is the best place for this, but it’s as good as any, I suppose:

My neighbor is related to a member of the CU sports hall of fame. I’m being very careful to avoid name-dropping here. I’ve had the chance to meet this individual, who is in coaching as well. Sunday morning I’m in the back yard and I see them in their yard. The inevitable conversation about the game comes up. Suffice it to say, even among other coaches, this was viewed as a miserable failure. It’s going to be very hard for Chev to recover from this. This was just, horrible.

I’m not sure this is the best place for this, but it’s as good as any, I suppose:

My neighbor is related to a member of the CU sports hall of fame. I’m being very careful to avoid name-dropping here. I’ve had the chance to meet this individual, who is in coaching as well. Sunday morning I’m in the back yard and I see them in their yard. The inevitable conversation about the game comes up. Suffice it to say, even among other coaches, this was viewed as a miserable failure. It’s going to be very hard for Chev to recover from this. This was just, horrible.
If it were up to me. I would let Chevy go today. Promote Langsdorf to OC/QB. If and when Langsdorf continues to pound the square peg in the round hole of making BLew a pocket passer, I would let him go at the end of the season, get an experienced successful college OC and tell him to build his offensive staff, and that everyone on that side of the ball was expendable.

If it were up to me. I would let Chevy go today. Promote Langsdorf to OC/QB. If and when Langsdorf continues to pound the square peg in the round hole of making BLew a pocket passer, I would let him go at the end of the season, get an experienced successful college OC and tell him to build his offensive staff, and that everyone on that side of the ball was expendable.

As much as us fans want blood, I have to think the smart thing for KD politically to do is to publicly say that Chev will no longer be calling plays but will remain Oc (similar to Ohio St and their DC). it allows Chev to keep some pride, and then this off-season he will leave for another opportunity (or be let go).

As much as us fans want blood, I have to think the smart thing for KD politically to do is to publicly say that Chev will no longer be calling plays but will remain Oc (similar to Ohio St and their DC). it allows Chev to keep some pride, and then this off-season he will leave for another opportunity (or be let go).
I want to root for Chev, but honestly, I'm not sure he is mature enough to handle the demotion without creating a toxic environment in the locker room.

Edit: My opinion is based on how he acted when he was passed over for the HC job.

I want to root for Chev, but honestly, I'm not sure he is mature enough to handle the demotion without creating a toxic environment in the locker room.

Edit: My opinion is based on how he acted when he was passed over for the HC job.

That’s a fair point and honestly one I hadn’t considered because I forgot that not everyone acts like a grownup. Jesus, we’re actually worried that a 43 year old man can’t behave himself for a few months if his boss came to him and said “it’s not working. I’m going to let you keep your money and title and I’ll help you find a soft landing spot after this year but you need to play it straight for 3 months”.

This is CU football.

At that point, what value does Karl Dorrell bring to this program? He sure as **** isn't running the defense, he wouldn't be running the offense or calling plays. I'm honestly wondering what value he's bringing to the program right now. I thought the few redeeming qualities he brought were being a calm, steady leader and mentor, along with being a professional who instilled discipline in the team and had them fully prepared to play from both an X's and O's and fundamentals standpoint. I'm not sure I truly see any of that right now

As we work our way through the layers of anger, I’m starting to come to the realization that it’s not so much the play calling, but the offensive system (or lack thereof) in place. Kicking Chev to the curb and promoting Langsdorf isn’t going to change that reality. But, it’s definitely better than doing nothing and expecting better results.

I don't want blood. I want CU FB to be competitive. I no longer believe this staff will get them there without a massive overhaul.

As we work our way through the layers of anger, I’m starting to come to the realization that it’s not so much the play calling, but the offensive system (or lack thereof) in place. Kicking Chev to the curb and promoting Langsdorf isn’t going to change that reality. But, it’s definitely better than doing nothing and expecting better results.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking as well. Chev isn’t good, but I’m also wondering if we are making him the full scapegoat for something that isn’t entirely his fault. As I mentioned in another post, I see zero similarities between Chev’s offense of 2018 and even 2020, and this abomination we have been watching in 2021. This feels like KD implemented the only offense he’s familiar enough with to actually implement and is allowing Chev to call the plays. There is minimal pre snap motion, zero creativity, no easy or quick reads, and no identity.

At that point, what value does Karl Dorrell bring to this program? He sure as **** isn't running the defense, he wouldn't be running the offense or calling plays. I'm honestly wondering what value he's bringing to the program right now. I thought the few redeeming qualities he brought were being a calm, steady leader and mentor, along with being a professional who instilled discipline in the team and had them fully prepared to play from both an X's and O's and fundamentals standpoint. I'm not sure I truly see any of that right now
That is a good question I can only answer by saying it is more expensive to let him go than anybody else.

One thing that is only being lightly addressed here is the effect on future rosters and recruiting. If we go, say 2-10, with the offense a consistent no show and the defense becoming worn down and resentful, I imagine we will see a fair number of transfers and decommits. More than anything, I think this is why changes need to made now, rather than at the end of the season.

One thing that is only being lightly addressed here is the effect on future rosters and recruiting. If we go, say 2-10, with the offense a consistent no show and the defense becoming worn down and resentful, I imagine we will see a fair number of transfers and decommits. More than anything, I think this is why changes need to made now, rather than at the end of the season.
Yeah, if nothing changes and this offense continues to be completely inept, I fully expect guys like Shenault, Rice and Clayton to enter the portal. Guys who have aspirations of getting to the league aren’t going to waste another year under this staff

Good point.

I would add oftentimes, a new regime gets a bump in recruiting, generates a little pizzazz on the W-L front, and leverages that initial two year window where there isn't a great deal of substantial progress. Years 3 and 4 had better show some movement or the seat gets hot, negative recruiting is employed and the HC gets the hook after year 4 or 5.

There has been no recruiting bump. A little pizzazz? Sure if beating a couple of middling P12 teams in Stanford and fUCLA count, only to get shellacked in the bowl game. But still, making a bowl is some pizzazz.

Year 2 seems headed for a nose dive. Not good.

A lot of times, teams will respond to this kind of embarrassment by playing lights out the following week. Let’s hope that’s the case this week. I’m not holding my breath.

A lot of times, teams will respond to this kind of embarrassment by playing lights out the following week. Let’s hope that’s the case this week. I’m not holding my breath.
Just don't see it. First road game, potential first start for a Frosh QB, late, late start, AZ heat, and an opponent salty from a loss.

Need to line up and run the ****ing ball with an occasional play action pass. Back to basic high school type offense just to generate something

The fact that Allbuffs can’t decide who’s to blame should tell us something. At the same time, we are pointing the finger at Dorrell, Chev, Langsdorf, and/or Rod. The fact that we don’t know what our offensive philosophy is and who is the architect of it is very telling. Things are so confused, we can’t even identify the problem. The whole offensive staff is a like a soup where the ingredients consist of what’s lying around the refrigerator.
You are giving far to much credit.

This staff is like the soup made from the ingredients that should have been in the refrigerator but were instead left out all weekend.

You can simmer and season all you like but it is still rotten and more time won't make it better.

The running backs are not the problem with this offense. If you’re unable to see that, then OK.
They are not "the" problem with the offense, and would probably be much better if the OL wasn't being coached by a high school coach, or if there weren't 3 different offensive philosophies at once, or about a dozen other issues.

I also am being a little glib here and making an example. Would you feel differently about Hagan if he weren't a CU legend?

If Hagan had no affiliation with CU and worked for another P5 school, how would you assess his career- he's been at one school for 17 years, was removed off the coaching staff and put in a non-coaching role, never promoted above AC, never been RC, wasn't taken with the previous coach when he left for a new school, etc.

And thinking about this sucks- it's not fun to think about ex CU players this way nor is it fun to have these discussions. If Hagan is the upside, then is it worth it to have these ****ty unfun discussions about Bienemy, Embree, Kanavis McGee, Dorell, Chiaverini, etc?

They are not "the" problem with the offense, and would probably be much better if the OL wasn't being coached by a high school coach, or if there weren't 3 different offensive philosophies at once, or about a dozen other issues.

I also am being a little glib here and making an example. Would you feel differently about Hagan if he weren't a CU legend?

If Hagan had no affiliation with CU and worked for another P5 school, how would you assess his career- he's been at one school for 17 years, was removed off the coaching staff and put in a non-coaching role, never promoted above AC, never been RC, wasn't taken with the previous coach when he left for a new school, etc.

And thinking about this sucks- it's not fun to think about ex CU players this way nor is it fun to have these discussions. If Hagan is the upside, then is it worth it to have these ****ty unfun discussions about Bienemy, Embree, Kanavis McGee, Dorell, Chiaverini, etc?
This take isn't backed up by any real evidence. The RBs have been the strength of the CU offense since Speedy Stewart through the present day.

If Hagan had no affiliation with CU, he’d still be the position coach for the co-offensive player of the year in the Pac12. I am confident that if he wanted to, he could get a job with many P5 programs as a RB coach. Chev coached at several places before he came here. He’s out of his depth as OC, but as has been pointed out, he is a highly capable recruiter and solid WR coach at this level. EB is the OC for the two time AFC champions and has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the HC job at USC. These are guys who, when in the right situation can do very well. Discounting them as candidates here simply because they played here is absurd. Like any coach, you have to find the right situation and allow them to succeed. We have been burned by two former players - Embree and Chev. Both turned out to be in over their heads in the positions they were put in here. That doesn’t make them bad coaches for different jobs. Embree was a highly effective recruiter and position coach here. I wouldn’t hesitate to hire him as a TE coach. That’s probably his ceiling. Same deal with Chev - WR coach and recruiting director is probably his ceiling. The narrative about never hiring former players just seems really weird to me. Hiring somebody for a position to which they are ill suited can happen regardless of where he want to school.
Dorrell played at UCLA, by the way.

1) Team made a lot of progress until last week;
2) Didn't happen last week. But will make more progress.
3) Guys took it dead in the eye (wtf?) and addressed all the issues and had a great practice.

Time for questions. woof.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

Back