What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Air Force September 14

My fear is that he is too small. They may run right him. His discipline has improved. He will need it Saturday. He did not play in this role vs CSU.
TOO SMALL? Against AFA???WTF???

Uh....did you watch him versus those Fusker TEs, all of whom were giants? And the Zoomies aren't eggzackly giants!

It’s as much a behavioral issue as an athletic equation.

The option does not reward freelancers. It is no place for someone like Johnny Manzel who improvises selfishly. If everyone isn’t buying in, the option will fail.

Military Academies have a built in a culture of team work and sacrifice. Just by considering a service academy appointment, you are going in with eyes wide open that discipline and conformity comes with the territory. Regardless of who is coaching at AFA, that culture has taken root.

Air Force players tend not to be focused on playing two years and getting drafted into the NFL. And the NFL draft doesn’t reward players who are proficient in running the option.

Air Force coaches aren’t filling holes with Jucos struggling to pass the NCAA clearing house. They are getting players who are wired differently, who probably recognize that playing in the League is not a common dream in the AFA locker room.

It’s not that Rutgers couldn’t adopt a triple option. To do so would require long term commitment and buy in. Georgia Tech is an example of this. I tend to agree with you that the TripOp is unlikely to find a home in the Big 10. And even less so in the NFL.
Don't forget the HUUGE advantage AFA has playing a full JV schedule, which gives their players year to adapt into their offense. Academies get some breaks other D-1 teams don't get!

It’s as much a behavioral issue as an athletic equation.

The option does not reward freelancers. It is no place for someone like Johnny Manzel who improvises selfishly. If everyone isn’t buying in, the option will fail.

Military Academies have a built in a culture of team work and sacrifice. Just by considering a service academy appointment, you are going in with eyes wide open that discipline and conformity comes with the territory. Regardless of who is coaching at AFA, that culture has taken root.

Air Force players tend not to be focused on playing two years and getting drafted into the NFL. And the NFL draft doesn’t reward players who are proficient in running the option.

Air Force coaches aren’t filling holes with Jucos struggling to pass the NCAA clearing house. They are getting players who are wired differently, who probably recognize that playing in the League is not a common dream in the AFA locker room.

It’s not that Rutgers couldn’t adopt a triple option. To do so would require long term commitment and buy in. Georgia Tech is an example of this. I tend to agree with you that the TripOp is unlikely to find a home in the Big 10. And even less so in the NFL.

Discipline and conformity? Clmon man, at least half of the big 8 ran the option in the 80's. Are you telling me Jamelle Holleway was really just Dee Dowis on coke?

It would take a few years. But that goes with anything. What is athletic about it? It's more about durability. Army were discussing dropping down because they felt they couldn't GET athletic players before they went to it full on. It's to mask that.

I don't think it would work in the Big Ten though, was my point. I guess we just have to look at GT. And it's not like he didn't have success with it at Navy.

Depends on what your definition of the word "work" is. Georgia Tech went to 9 bowls in 11 years and played in the ACC championship game four times doing it under Paul Johnson-and made 2 Orange Bowls. Can you win national championships? Probably not. Can you play in bowl games consistently with the occasional conference championship appearance (and maybe even a win in that game)? Sure. Its probably the only way Rutgers and Kansas win consistently, and Oregon State might need to do it-especially with Oregon being what they are.

Discipline and conformity? Clmon man, at least half of the big 8 ran the option in the 80's. Are you telling me Jamelle Holleway [SIC] was really just Dee Dowis on coke?

Holieway doesn’t own Dowis’s record for most rushing yards by a QB, does he? Didn’t make it in the NFL, either.

TOO SMALL? Against AFA???WTF???

Uh....did you watch him versus those Fusker TEs, all of whom were giants? And the Zoomies aren't eggzackly giants!
Yes, he’s not the right size for OLB in this version of the 3-4. Maybe against AFA, but not generally. He plays against the slot in the Star, not the TE. He made several disruptive plays Saturday after only 26 snaps against CSU. I’ll be intrigued if he plays traditional OLB vs AFA. That means he has three sets of responsibilities, OLB, Star and Money. That’s a lot for someone still learning the basics of Star.

Holieway doesn’t own Dowis’s record for most rushing yards by a QB, does he? Didn’t make it in the NFL, either.

Yes, but he went 11-0 and won a national championship. All based on the "discipline and conformity" that is the hallmark of option offenses -- according to you.

1. Our head coach was DC at a program that played against the option annually.

2. Our DC has spent about half of his career at schools that either played against the option once a year, or actually played the option themselves.

3. We have a legendary QC/analyst/mentor who coached linebackers against some of the best option football teams in history.

4. We literally have one of the best option quarterbacks to ever play as an assistant coach.

I think the coaches know exactly what the players need to do to stop the option. The only question is going to be "were they able to coach the players well enough to do what they need to do within the practice time limits?"

Is Wells healthy? That’s important IMO. I expect more 2 OLB set like used against CSU and less Star this week.
Hawg you probably saw this already but just in case Wells is day to day concussion, didn't see a response to your question.

I just read an article that said air force has a 330 pound defensive tackle. What the ****? I heard air force has very strict weight limits that they have to adhere to or they cant graduate. So whats the deal here?

1. Our head coach was DC at a program that played against the option annually.

2. Our DC has spent about half of his career at schools that either played against the option once a year, or actually played the option themselves.

3. We have a legendary QC/analyst/mentor who coached linebackers against some of the best option football teams in history.

4. We literally have one of the best option quarterbacks to ever play as an assistant coach.

I think the coaches know exactly what the players need to do to stop the option. The only question is going to be "were they able to coach the players well enough to do what they need to do within the practice time limits?"
But, the triple option puts teams on even ground and Air Force, even though they went 5-7 last year, is fully capable of doing what Army did last year. Trap game all over it, their athletes are like 4 stars in their role.

I just read an article that said air force has a 330 pound defensive tackle. What the ****? I heard air force has very strict weight limits that they have to adhere to or they cant graduate. So whats the deal here?
Also saw that and am very curious about that. Assuming if he’s not a pilot maybe it’s not as restrictive?

Yes, he’s not the right size for OLB in this version of the 3-4. Maybe against AFA, but not generally. He plays against the slot in the Star, not the TE. He made several disruptive plays Saturday after only 26 snaps against CSU. I’ll be intrigued if he plays traditional OLB vs AFA. That means he has three sets of responsibilities, OLB, Star and Money. That’s a lot for someone still learning the basics of Star.
Taylor was guarding the Husker TE's on Saturday. Believe the broadcast even alluded to it.

Woelk mentions that the 5 O-line starters played every snap against nu. that's a little scary to me

Why does CU, other than tradition, take the east sideline rather than west side?

Sun!!!!

Back