What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

It will be interesting to see where they go.

Another thing that cash does is has a sustaining effect on the trading range. The stock is considered cheap ridiculously cheap at $537 because its trading at 13x earnings (some say anything below 22x is a buy). Unless they have a horrible horrible quarter the stock will decline slightly right after earnings reports and then run right back to that 500 to 550 range because no one wants to have gotten out of the stock only to have Apple announce they are distributing that cash or making a big merger & acquisition move. Id lock to see them do a 2 for 1 split here to unlock a possible run up.

It will be interesting to see where they go.

Another thing that cash does is has a sustaining effect on the trading range. The stock is considered cheap ridiculously cheap at $537 because its trading at 13x earnings (some say anything below 22x is a buy). Unless they have a horrible horrible quarter the stock will decline slightly right after earnings reports and then run right back to that 500 to 550 range because no one wants to have gotten out of the stock only to have Apple announce they are distributing that cash or making a big merger & acquisition move. Id lock to see them do a 2 for 1 split here to unlock a possible run up.

Apple has been buying up stock. ($40 billion buyback in the past year!) There is no way they do a 2-for-1 stock split anytime soon.

There was a story a few days ago that they're also threatening not to carry the Dodgers new network. Which only makes good sense to me, but it's going to piss off a lot of people in LA that want to watch the 4th through 6th inning without going to the ballpark.

Haha, now on the other side of this with the Dodgers. PAC 12 network runs a cost, but what the Dodgers and Lakers are demanding for every single cable household is absolutely insane. IIRC the latest rumored Carriage fee for the Dodgers network was 3.95 a month. And people wonder how they can afford a 300M payroll.

There is a topping point and dodger deals or ESPN shoving the SEC network down MSOs throats at probably three times the PAC, we have to be getting there.

If I wasn't such a big sports fan, would have cut the chord long ago.

From phone

For all the guys that have Directv you can get the PAC 12 network. Download XBMC and get the add ons Navi-X, sports devil, and Mash-up. go to youtube and there are step by step instructions for installing the add ons and the repositories. it comes in crystal clear in low HD 720p. Or go to E-bay and buy a jailbroke Apple TV unit with everything already installed. this is not a violation of any copy write infringement or pirating laws at this time. Larry Scott, and Directv can both kiss my arse. I am waiting to see if I can get the NFL this fall, if so all of the cable and sate companies will have received their last cent of my money.

For all the guys that have Directv you can get the PAC 12 network. Download XBMC and get the add ons Navi-X, sports devil, and Mash-up. go to youtube and there are step by step instructions for installing the add ons and the repositories. it comes in crystal clear in low HD 720p. Or go to E-bay and buy a jailbroke Apple TV unit with everything already installed. this is not a violation of any copy write infringement or pirating laws at this time. Larry Scott, and Directv can both kiss my arse. I am waiting to see if I can get the NFL this fall, if so all of the cable and sate companies will have received their last cent of my money.

What you said there... I don't get it. I mean, it appears to all be in English, but the words don't make any sense when strung together the way you have done it. I get the vague impression that we can get P12 net, even if we have DTV as our provider, by doing a bunch of weird stuff that I have no idea how to do. Is that basically what you're saying?

just google XBMC (X box media center) on the net and down load it to a source you can connect to your television. right now I have mine on a laptop connected to the tv with a HDMI cable. This is totally legal, its streaming not downloading.

select the right system for what you run

http://xbmc.org/download/

Last edited:
This is totally legal, its streaming not downloading.

Who is providing the content? The software may be legal, but as far as I know there is no legal way to stream PAC12Net legally unless you subscribe to a provider that carries the network. All other feeds are illegal and take money away from the PAC12 because those viewing the illegal streams are not paying a subscriber fee.

Who is providing the content? The software may be legal, but as far as I know there is no legal way to stream PAC12Net legally unless you subscribe to a provider that carries the network. All other feeds are illegal and take money away from the PAC12 because those viewing the illegal streams are not paying a subscriber fee.

All I can tell you is this issue has already been challenged in court and "The Man" lost, don't believe me look it up yourself. Do you think Ebay would risk selling the units if it was an issue ?

Apple TV Version
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e+tv&_arr=1&_armi=Gadgets+&+Other+Electronics

Android version (does not require jail break)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...mx+midnight&_nkw=g+box+midnight+mx+2&_sacat=0

also "jailbreaking" is legal as well

Last edited:
The unit itself is not illegal because there is plenty of legal content to stream. That's why Ebay can sell it. Guns are not illegal, only if you shoot someone with it.

The streaming source of PAC12 Networks is breaking copyright laws, but not sure they will ever shut it down.

the way the law is written you have to take ownership of the product for it to be pirating, that's why they cant stop it, this is worldwide "slingbox" your sharing with your friends.
What this will do is force Scott, and the providers to give in to ala carte programing for everything

The unit itself is not illegal because there is plenty of legal content to stream. That's why Ebay can sell it. Guns are not illegal, only if you shoot someone with it.

The streaming source of PAC12 Networks is breaking copyright laws, but not sure they will ever shut it down.

Sort of the point of been making for awhile now. Because bandwidths and speeds are rapidly improving, we are now on the precipice of having what happened to the music industry happen to the pay television industry.

What you said there... I don't get it. I mean, it appears to all be in English, but the words don't make any sense when strung together the way you have done it. I get the vague impression that we can get P12 net, even if we have DTV as our provider, by doing a bunch of weird stuff that I have no idea how to do. Is that basically what you're saying?

Herein lies the challenge. Sacky is no idiot by any means but he's also no Matt level geek. Thus he's willing to pay a fee in exchange for having something that works. Workarounds as described above, while easier than they were, are still too much for the masses. Hell, I still haer from people on this board that haven't found xrxs yet.

Usually the stream comes from a country that has no laws against sending the stream public, so in an ironic twist Larry Scott makes sure the world can get his product, but someone willing to pay for it can't. By providing the world it has now come back in a way that costs him money.

the way the law is written you have to take ownership of the product for it to be pirating, that's why they cant stop it, this is worldwide "slingbox" your sharing with your friends.
What this will do is force Scott, and the providers to give in to ala carte programing for everything

Interesting

And since we only borrow the programing, but never own it, it can't be pirating? If so, I see an amendment or new bill introduced and passed quite quickly. "Any rebroadcast without the express written permission of the NFL is prohibited" has a legal basis somewhere.

As to a la carte Im not sure some of the providers business models can survive based on a la carte model.

By the way the units Ebay is selling are already loaded with he software, so compare apples to apples, the gun would have to be a fully automatic AR-15 with a banana clip you bought at Walmart. It would be legal to own it just unlawful to shoot.

Interesting

And since we only borrow the programing, but never own it, it can't be pirating? If so, I see an amendment or new bill introduced and passed quite quickly. "Any rebroadcast without the express written permission of the NFL is prohibited" has a legal basis somewhere.

As to a la carte Im not sure some of the providers business models can survive based on a la carte model.

Say hello to the next generation of Blockbuster

Nice for the consumer in theory (in reality we don't know how much it would cost). But horrible for the PAC 12 Networks and most importantly the CU AD who would like the distribution check to be more than a few dollars.

"Any rebroadcast without the express written permission of the NFL is prohibited" that law is a US law, not International
as I said the stream almost always comes from a place it does not apply.

Scott better swallow some pride, Internet TV is getting bigger daily, this is not going away. If you think it is 15 years ago did you think Blockbuster was going away ? Internet TV is going to eat service providers and their bundles like Big Mac's

For those interested, you can buy the jailbroke Apple TV pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu plus have the XBMC with the software installed get every thing you get with the most expensive cable plan including Premium channels, and all live sports world wide for about $25.00 a month. I have a contract with Directv till December 2014 if I find the sports (NFL) works as I have been told. I will be "cutting the cord" as millions have already done

For those interested, you can buy the jailbroke Apple TV pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu plus have the XBMC with the software installed get every thing you get with the most expensive cable plan including Premium channels, and all live sports world wide for about $25.00 a month. I have a contract with Directv till December 2014 if I find the sports (NFL) works as I have been told. I will be "cutting the cord" as millions have already done

You still have to pay for internet, right?

Yes LT you have to have a good connection not bottom of the line, a good modem and router help as well

So in my house I have my main TV in the living room, plus a TV in the master bedroom and each of the kids' bedroom. How do you get all the channels on all those TV's? Jailbroken Apple TV in every room??

I that's the draw back for all programming yes, if you just want the kids to have Hulu, Netflix etc. buy a google TV dongle, its $35 dollars and you have more parental control, Hulu plus has TV shows on day after they air

Scott better swallow some pride, Internet TV is getting bigger daily, this is not going away. If you think it is 15 years ago did you think Blockbuster was going away ? Internet TV is going to eat service providers and their bundles like Big Mac's

So let's say Scott gets on the ball, embraces Internet TV and offers P12N via a pay streaming service. Ignoring what that's going to do to the value of the deals with the TV providers (well, at least the ones willing to make a deal), are you going to sign up and pay for the streaming service? Or are you going to watch an overseas stream for free, still insisting that it's Scott's fault if the network can't deliver maximum $ to the conference schools (including CU)?

If it was offered as an ala carte on any platform I would pay, right now the PAC is neting $0.80 per subscriber (which is robbery by the way NFL Sunday Ticket $0.84, Big 10 Network $0.36) from those that carry them. I would easily pay $4 for it ala carte, we are subsidizing DogTV in bundles

Last edited:
The reason Google TV is rumored to be buying Sunday Ticket at 1.5 billion is they will offer it at $200 straight up and think they will possibly double or triple subscribers world wide on the net, only thing required is a $35 dongle that plugs in like a flash drive. No yearly subscriptions fee's and subsidizing DogTV

If it was offered as an ala carte on any platform I would pay, right now the PAC is neting $0.80 per subscriber

INSIDE the footprint. Outside is rumored to be less than .10 a month. It averages out much lower than .80 all in. Instead of comparing it to the NFL Network, you should compare it to the Dodgers or Lakers channels which are 5x the PAC carriage with a small percentage of the content. If you are unable to subscribe to DISH for some reason and its not carried by the local MSOs, I get it. But as a CU fan, I would much prefer PAC fans forcing the issue to the MSO's (refrain from stealing programming) and maximize the distribution to the CU AD. These workarounds are nothing new, but its still stealing.

subsidizing DogTV

While everyone else is subsidizing sports TV. You are kidding yourself if you believe the PAC can charge anything close to $4 a month (which subscribers will probably cancel for half the year) and receive pro rata.

Back