What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Baylor Rape HQ - (major lawsuit settled)

Remember how QB Colt Brennan exposed himself to a female student in a dorm room and was sent packing to break records Hawaii?

This is just one small example of how CU is different than Baylor.

Remember how Barnett (HC), Hoffman (Pres), and Thorpe (AD) were all removed? Thus far, Baylor is 1 for 3.

Remember how the Boulder PD and Rick Reilly and the DA did not cover-up for Barnett? This is how CU is different from Baylor.

Remember how CU didn't keep accused rapists on the team and didn't drag its feet complying with title IX rules? This is how CU is different from Baylor.

This list can go on and on.
Don't forget Richard Byyny (Chancellor)!

Actually, he is alive and well; he was right in front of me to pick up his packet for the Bolder Boulder this year.

Don't forget Richard Byyny (Chancellor)!

Actually, he is alive and well; he was right in front of me to pick up his packet for the Bolder Boulder this year.

Dick Byyny and his wife are great people. When my buddy and me used to do game-day volunteer parking lot duty (at the entrance off of Folsom right next to the Frank Shorter statue) they would drop off a box of homemade cookies with us as they entered on their way to their lot. They were scrumptious. :)

Dick Byyny and his wife are great people. When my buddy and me used to do game-day volunteer parking lot duty (at the entrance off of Folsom right next to the Frank Shorter statue) they would drop off a box of homemade cookies with us as they entered on their way to their lot. They were scrumptious. :)
He's been great in my dealings with him.

I understand what ****Baylor is trying to do. They know that the FB program brings them millions of dollars each year not even calculating the value of the national exposure it gives them. And they reside in maybe the most college football crazy state in the nation, in addition to the dollars it is also about prestige at the country club and in the board room.

They are also trying to protect a bunch of members of the 'good ol' boy" club in and out of administration. These are not only rich and powerful men but they are also lifelong friends in some cases.

Baylor knows that they are much closer to being SMU or Rice than they are to being Notre Dame or Southern Cal. They have a long history of failure, they aren't sure that if they go away for a couple years they will ever be back.

Problem is that it is all simply a continuation of the same pattern that got them in this mess in the first place. Failing to recognize that young women were the victims of the football culture built and encouraged at Baylor with the consent if not approval coming from the very top. They are still looking at this thing not in terms of a rape problem but in terms of a football success problem. They still haven't shown any real will or desire to stop their players from running as will off the field as they do on it.

The effectiveness of self-enforcement declines in direct proportion to the seriousness of the problem, be it Miami, PSU, or Baylor. The NCAA has since SMU shown it is entirely unwilling to take real action against programs that have gross negligence in terms of institutional control. Cheat big, win big, take a slap on the wrist has proven to be the strategy that works.

I know that a lot of posters here say that the NCAA doesn't have any business involved in this but I completely disagree for a couple reasons.

One is that a fundamental element of NCAA membership requires institutional control and responsibility over athletic programs. In this case the failure to do so resulted in coeds getting raped, potentially including student athletes but that shouldn't matter. Sports are supposed to be a positive element of the college experience and to the extent possible the NCAA and it's institutions have an obligation to operate inside the law and for the good of the students.

Second reason is entirely more practical. The NCAA exist so colleges can regulate themselves to the greatest extent possible. When members like the three grossest offenders mentioned above do things like this it puts that autonomy at risk. We already have title IX forcing schools to close down multiple athletic programs and reducing scholarships for other formerly successful sports.

I can easily see some attention hungry congress member or members taking on college sports as a crusade with the end result being a much larger amount of governmental control and a lot of regulation that serves neither the athletes or the schools. And it would also likely result in a lot of unwelcome hands dipping into those tens of millions of dollars lots of schools bring in each year under the current system.

It is in the best interest of the NCAA to get their act together and prove that they can deal with this stuff so the government doesn't "have to."

Interesting that you chose to portray Title IX in a negative manner when this is probably the case where it is most applicable.

Interesting that you chose to portray Title IX in a negative manner when this is probably the case where it is most applicable.

I don't disagree at all with the premise of title IX just as I wouldn't disagree with the government stepping in an taking more control of college sports if that is what it takes to stop ongoing ignoring and/or enabling of pedophilia or rape or other damaging criminal acts against innocent victims.

My reference to title IX is in terms of the administration of it in which by the government setting the definitions and the demands it is much harder for schools to maintain the full range of non-revenue men's sports

The question is does the NCAA and it's member institutions want situations like this and in the future much less serious offenses being settled by a court or a government administrator or by the NCAA. If they don't want the government doing it then they better show that they can do it themselves.

If the NCAA and schools had taken gender opportunity more seriously in the years leading to title IX the transition could have been done with more flexibility and less pain for them. Since they didn't it was imposed. Now with the topic being criminal acts against defenseless people I can see the imposition becoming much bigger.

And yes, If Baylor doesn't get their act together and take responsibility and make serious changes I would be fully in support of the victims filing suit under Title IX and putting a serious financial dent in the school along with a lot of ongoing negative publicity.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got your negative reference to Title IX was about its impact on men's sports. It was quite clear.

And that last paragraph? Uh... what?

Yeah, I got your negative reference to Title IX was about its impact on men's sports. It was quite clear.

And that last paragraph? Uh... what?

At this point it's hard to see how Baylor doesn't end up being sued for huge money by some of the victims. The hope is that their failure to take what has been happening seriously, even now, ends up costing them a lot more money.

In the absence of criminal punishments (somebody in power going to jail) the most effective way to get schools to truly take action is to get financial judgements that they can't ignore.

This is from the NCAA's own website - http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/violence-prevention

Interpersonal violence is a cultural phenomenon that is reflected on today’s college campuses. As members of the campus community and advocates for student well-being, athletics departments are called upon to contribute to campus efforts to prevent and appropriately intervene in cases of sexual assault, hazing, harassment and abuse. By effectively addressing interpersonal violence and sexual assault, athletics departments provide that student-athletes leave their college campuses better prepared to lead satisfying lives, help others and make positive contributions to society. In this way, Athletics will help not only its campus and department become safer, we can contribute to breaking the cycle of violence that is often passed from one generation to another through families. The resources located on this site support those education efforts.

So if they don't get involved...

I understand what ****Baylor is trying to do. They know that the FB program brings them millions of dollars each year not even calculating the value of the national exposure it gives them. And they reside in maybe the most college football crazy state in the nation, in addition to the dollars it is also about prestige at the country club and in the board room.

They are also trying to protect a bunch of members of the 'good ol' boy" club in and out of administration. These are not only rich and powerful men but they are also lifelong friends in some cases.

Baylor knows that they are much closer to being SMU or Rice than they are to being Notre Dame or Southern Cal. They have a long history of failure, they aren't sure that if they go away for a couple years they will ever be back.

Problem is that it is all simply a continuation of the same pattern that got them in this mess in the first place. Failing to recognize that young women were the victims of the football culture built and encouraged at Baylor with the consent if not approval coming from the very top. They are still looking at this thing not in terms of a rape problem but in terms of a football success problem. They still haven't shown any real will or desire to stop their players from running as will off the field as they do on it.

The effectiveness of self-enforcement declines in direct proportion to the seriousness of the problem, be it Miami, PSU, or Baylor. The NCAA has since SMU shown it is entirely unwilling to take real action against programs that have gross negligence in terms of institutional control. Cheat big, win big, take a slap on the wrist has proven to be the strategy that works.

I know that a lot of posters here say that the NCAA doesn't have any business involved in this but I completely disagree for a couple reasons.

One is that a fundamental element of NCAA membership requires institutional control and responsibility over athletic programs. In this case the failure to do so resulted in coeds getting raped, potentially including student athletes but that shouldn't matter. Sports are supposed to be a positive element of the college experience and to the extent possible the NCAA and it's institutions have an obligation to operate inside the law and for the good of the students.

Second reason is entirely more practical. The NCAA exist so colleges can regulate themselves to the greatest extent possible. When members like the three grossest offenders mentioned above do things like this it puts that autonomy at risk. We already have title IX forcing schools to close down multiple athletic programs and reducing scholarships for other formerly successful sports.

I can easily see some attention hungry congress member or members taking on college sports as a crusade with the end result being a much larger amount of governmental control and a lot of regulation that serves neither the athletes or the schools. And it would also likely result in a lot of unwelcome hands dipping into those tens of millions of dollars lots of schools bring in each year under the current system.

It is in the best interest of the NCAA to get their act together and prove that they can deal with this stuff so the government doesn't "have to."
Cliffs notes version: "**** bailer"

You're welcome.

Let's wait until we have all of the information instead of jumping to conclusions. (lol)
I feel as though you're trying to make a point, or poke folks in the eye here. But don't we have sufficient information to form an opinion in this case?

At this point it's hard to see how Baylor doesn't end up being sued for huge money by some of the victims. The hope is that their failure to take what has been happening seriously, even now, ends up costing them a lot more money.

In the absence of criminal punishments (somebody in power going to jail) the most effective way to get schools to truly take action is to get financial judgements that they can't ignore.

The damage has already been done to many victims. WTF are you talking about them waiting to see what Baylor does in response?

Cliffs notes version: "**** bailer"

You're welcome.
d9dc15dcf32ccb142095858f44579f2c.jpg

Back