What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez

Exactly. Montez needs to be Montez. Stop being afraid to make mistakes. Just cut loose and stay aggressive. He's special when he plays like that.

I can live with a downfield INT a hell of a lot easier than I can live with the timidity we'd been seeing.
If that's all it is, good by me.

His is exactly how ASU fans felt about Wilkins last year. It’s certainly a more sensitive subject for fans of a team.

we're fans. we overreact. we get excited. go visit a bama site and read threads about how possibly the greatest college football coach in history has lost it, even when they win big.

montez, when he is on his game, is an high level qb. i don't know what happened at the half but i hope he can keep finding that guy in the 2nd half.

NO ONE HERE WANTS MONTEZ TO FAIL!

When Montez plays like dog shyte and scared like he did in the 1H, we get frustrated. Why? Because we know what he is capable of doing! We want him to be the 2H from today’s game Montez: focused, stepping into throws, stepping up in the pocket, being a leader, being decisive, living to make the next play...

He is a fifth year senior with a cornucopia of talent in himself and with the skill players who they run out there to complement him. Montez playing like he did in the 2H today raises our expectations (rightly so) of him to consistently perform at a high level. That’s the nature of big time football. We want his best consistently. Our angst is borne out of his inability for whatever reason to muster that greatness consistently.

we're fans. we overreact. we get excited. go visit a bama site and read threads about how possibly the greatest college football coach in history has lost it, even when they win big.

montez, when he is on his game, is an high level qb. i don't know what happened at the half but i hope he can keep finding that guy in the 2nd half.

It’s just human nature. Wife text me early in the 3rd and asked how the game was going, I told her ****. She called me to ask if I wanted chipotle and asked how the game was going, “its the greatest game ever! We just won in OT and people are storming the field!”

I showed up to read the third page.

We know we'll get tentative blocks and runs and a few poor reads. And we'll also get those perfect TD tosses to Brown when the game is on the line.

That hop throw in OT to the left flat was almost disastrous. Flashes of brilliance with piss poor decisions and here we are.

Oh, and he was hit hard on the flea flicker but mostly stood in there.

Last edited:
That hop throw in OT to the left flat was almost disastrous. Flashes of brilliance with piss poor decisions and here we are.

Oh, and he was hit hard on the flea flicker but mostly stood in there.

He didn't get hit on the flea flicker... the rusher pulled up after Montez let the ball loose

He didn't get hit on the flea flicker... the rusher pulled up after Montez let the ball loose
Yeah, live it looked like he got lit up. Replay shows different, but they never showed it, just like a lot of replays all game long. But he did almost step into the throw.

Last edited:
Really want to rewatch the game now. Montez definitely looked more poised in the second half but it looks like he was given a lot of single-read stuff. I’m sure Jay Johnson wants to do more with him but it’s better to just keep things simple

I already watched the condensed game. Montez was actually not that different in the two halves. The difference was more on the line as the running game went from non-existent to serviceable. The first TD may have been more important than the flea-flicker, even though that was the coolest play call of the game.

Edit: except the interception. That was just a bad decision and throw.

Last edited:
ESPN's hot take on the game:

BOULDER, Colo. -- Mel Tucker's halftime message was simple: We've taken their best shot. Now, let's go give them ours.

Colorado hadn't touched Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez, whose jersey was clean and whose passing was perfect, and the Buffaloes had managed just 84 yards of offense and none on the ground.

"When we went out into the tunnel coming out for the second half, those guys were energized and ready to play ball," Tucker said.

In a scintillating comeback, the Buffaloes overcame a 17-0 halftime deficit in Tucker's first home game and sent fans streaming onto the field in celebration.

There's more of course. I particularly loved these quotes from the two HCs;

"I knew we didn't have a kicker," Frost lamented.

"There's a lot of red that left here disappointed," Tucker said.

Montez is what he is but good grief that first half was bad. He just seemed lost to me and he doesn't want anything to do with a hit. The second half was a complete opposite and he was throwing dimes. QB play in college is extremely inconsistent and I have to remind myself of this. I really wanted them to make a change in the third quarter if he was still struggling, but luckily the offense started getting some momentum in the run game and with the play action.

Montez is what he is but good grief that first half was bad. He just seemed lost to me and he doesn't want anything to do with a hit. The second half was a complete opposite and he was throwing dimes. QB play in college is extremely inconsistent and I have to remind myself of this. I really wanted them to make a change in the third quarter if he was still struggling, but luckily the offense started getting some momentum in the run game and with the play action.

The inconsistency in the passing game bugs me, but you live with it because he makes 3-4 jaw-dropping throws a game.

We need him to pick up more first downs in the running game. Just enough to make teams account for him in that area.

some of this can be helped with play calling. for the life of me, i don't understand why they'd run a reverse and put montez out in front as the lead blocker. that was just a bad choice. and, for the scrambles, when it breaks down, i'd prefer he step up, set his feet, and try to make a play with arm rather than his feet. the RPO stuff, i would limit to a handful of plays. he made good yards out of the gun where the middle opens and there is a 5 yard gap. i wouldn't run that when we need 8 yards.

he's a qb that doesn't want to be an rb. let's not force it. work on (1) getting the ball out faster and (2) extending the pass play when he needs to. both of those things happened in the 2nd half and he played super-well. pocket presence, concentration, and play-calling.

Back