What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez

And that's fair. Montez is not the guy to run zone read 10-12 times a game. That offense would be stupid.

But he leaves some first downs on the field by not just scrambling a bit more.
I agree there's always some meat left on the bone when it comes to college QBs. However Montez strength is his arm not his feet and you need to scheme around that. Not very many college QBs can wreck a game with their arm.

Watching the condensed game, it just blows my mind that this was the same guy in the first half and second half. He was just mentally awful in the first half - taking bad sacks, making bad reads, doing dumb ****. And then in the second half, he was doing the exact opposite. He was making the right reads, feeling the rush and moving away from trouble, throwing the ball away when needed, and of course throwing absolute dimes.

We need Steven to be the guy he was in a second half more often than not. If he does that, we can absolutely win more games than we previously expected.

I think we just need to learn to accept what he is. Sorry to say that I can kinda sympathize with nub fan who also have a QB that seems bipolar.

I did find myself thinking. I bet HCMT would have really liked Sefo

I thought he just came out a little too anxious in the first half. YOu could tell he was pressing and trying to make some big plays instead of being patient. How he didn't run that DB over on third and 4 for the first down was crazy to me.

I thought he just came out a little too anxious in the first half. YOu could tell he was pressing and trying to make some big plays instead of being patient. How he didn't run that DB over on third and 4 for the first down was crazy to me.
That's not what I saw. I saw contact avoidance and lack of situational awareness. Looked like he didn't want to be there.

Kordell was always a slow starter - "sleepy" was one of his nicknames. I feel Montez actually does better when he is completely backed into a corner. He seems to feed off that pressure. Just remember the oregon game when he broke out.

I hate the broadcast TV angle. Watching the game again this morning and I can’t fairly evaluate Steven because I have no idea where the safeties are and can’t figure out if guys are getting open.

I wish I could get the All22

Wow! Glad I was at the game and cell service sucks there or I, too, would have posted stupid ****. My son and I were so frustrated with Montez and the offense in general.

But the kid was absolute nails in the second half. He totally outplayed Martinez. I’d bet the fusker boards have their fair share of posters calling for a QB change. Haha.

That's not what I saw. I saw contact avoidance and lack of situational awareness. Looked like he didn't want to be there.

It's difficult to see everything on TV, but Montez could've used some of those quick passes to the flat that opened the 2nd half at the beginning of the game. Also, those easy checkdowns to the RB.

We all had the same thoughts during the first half.

We won, that’s all that matters.
Count me among the "Where's Lytle" crowd from my perch in Sec. 204! But then I actually watched the recording of the game a couple of times and saw Montez made some decent decisions in the first half driving and keeping the Buffs around mid-field. Gotta admit that Fusker "D" was fired -up and inspired by the Red Hoard. They were flying around like banshees on cheap Lincoln meth! (Much as we hate Fusker, they have pretty decent schollie athletes, too.)

But as Tucker pointed out to his charges, "You took their best shot and survived." For all their alleged dominance in the first half, Fusker did not put the game out of reach. If not for three glaring mistakes, that was essentially "7-0" first half.

Upon rewatch, you can tell the offensive strategy changed with their last drive of the first half. Started really trying to get Montez and the offense in rhythm. That momentum really carried into the second half. They got away from the run game early in the game and it bit them. Allowed NU to drop the full compliment of DB's into coverage, making it very tough on Montez.

Kordell was always a slow starter - "sleepy" was one of his nicknames. I feel Montez actually does better when he is completely backed into a corner. He seems to feed off that pressure. Just remember the oregon game when he broke out.
Great point. He doesn't like to be boring that's for sure

I think montez plays better after a few hits in the run game. It makes him more aggressive.

Back