What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez

Wow! Glad I was at the game and cell service sucks there or I, too, would have posted stupid ****. My son and I were so frustrated with Montez and the offense in general.

But the kid was absolute nails in the second half. He totally outplayed Martinez. I’d bet the fusker boards have their fair share of posters calling for a QB change. Haha.
I looked at some of the fusker boards last night. It's fun to watch them ride the emotional roller coaster as they come the realization that their team (again) isn't as good as they had convinced themselves it was all off season and that Frost isn't a miracle worker.

A number of their post stated that Montez was superior to Martinez and identified that as a major factor in the outcome. The lamented that Martinez simply doesn't give them the big play potential in the passing game.

It was kind of funny though to read them repeat over and over how the fuskers were a better team despite losing both years then go on to list all the reasons they lost. "The huskers are better but CU was better at this and this and this and this."

I looked at some of the fusker boards last night. It's fun to watch them ride the emotional roller coaster as they come the realization that their team (again) isn't as good as they had convinced themselves it was all off season and that Frost isn't a miracle worker.

A number of their post stated that Montez was superior to Martinez and identified that as a major factor in the outcome. The lamented that Martinez simply doesn't give them the big play potential in the passing game.

It was kind of funny though to read them repeat over and over how the fuskers were a better team despite losing both years then go on to list all the reasons they lost. "The ****ers are better but CU was better at this and this and this and this."
which is why they may drop the northern illinois game this sat.

I think montez plays better after a few hits in the run game. It makes him more aggressive.

Couldn't agree with this more. He doesn't like contact, and that makes him timid in the pocket and timid on his runs/scrambles. But once he takes some hits on designed plays he seems to settle in a bit. It is a bit counter-intuitive, but I would call some designed runs for him on the first couple of drives to get him more comfortable with the flow of the game.

Hang on a sec.... when Montez first started playing, he was running all the time. It was HCMM staff that kept saying he had stay in the pocket more. I really thought that ****ed with his head, even if it was the right move by the staff. Now we are saying Montez isn't a runner, doesn't like contact, and that isn't who he is?

Montez >>>>> martinez - all the hype about martinez being a Heizman talent ?? not seeing it through my shades. He is NOT an accurate thrower, makes panic and poor decisions, fragile - both physically and psyche...it is easy to rattle him, force bad throws and even easier to force a fumble. Someone look up his stats, dude fumbles the ball. I would take Montez any day of the week over this frosty fragile cob.

No judgement on how this has not aged well. I was thinking, saying, texting the exact same things, he looked Charmin in the first half. 2nd half felt like it was a different person, he is super fun to watch when he's locked in.

Hang on a sec.... when Montez first started playing, he was running all the time. It was HCMM staff that kept saying he had stay in the pocket more. I really thought that ****ed with his head, even if it was the right move by the staff. Now we are saying Montez isn't a runner, doesn't like contact, and that isn't who he is?

I think he has the athleticism to run, but he doesn't like the contact. I remember that being a major difference when he would come in for Sefo. Sefo loved contact. He sought it out everywhere (and it was a problem). Montez can run, and they will run him... but he is a timid runner - he does not like to be hit.

Montez >>>>> martinez - all the hype about martinez being a Heizman talent ?? not seeing it through my shades. He is NOT an accurate thrower, makes panic and poor decisions, fragile - both physically and psyche...it is easy to rattle him, force bad throws and even easier to force a fumble. Someone look up his stats, dude fumbles the ball. I would take Montez any day of the week over this frosty fragile cob.
As a passer Martinez is the classic option type QB. Most of his effective passing plays come off the threat of him running or making the pitch or hand off. When it becomes a must pass situation he is very easy to defend. He is going to look for a single receiver and who that receiver is going to be is fairly easy for the defense to figure out.

That kind of passing game worked 20 years ago when defenses where built and focused on stopping multi-dimensional running games and simple passing games. Now even the simplest defenses are built around reading and stopping passing offenses.

Martinez may end up having some very ugly days against teams with superior athletes like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. where his receiver have no chance of beating defenders on athletic ability. It may turn out that the best Nebraska offense we see is the one they had with the walk on back-up they used last year when Martinez was hurt.

Run based option offenses are great for the service academies who have tremendous discipline. Trying to bring back the magic days of the 90's isn't going to work for the fuskers when they can't recruit better athletes and they don't have smarter, better disciplined teams.

Obviously I’m glad he played better in the second half, and I’m glad in retrospect we didn’t bench him.

But we call balls and strikes as we see em. Would’ve been pissed if we kept going along the same trajectory and lost 34-0 with Monty at the helm. Based on what I was seeing, he wasn’t getting the job done. But there’s a reason I (and we of little faith in this thread) am not a college football coach at CU, and obviously they kept him in and knew/know things we don’t/didn’t. Good job team, this is why we don’t coach by mob rule!

I've said before I'll say it again - the true difference was his pocket presence, his awareness of the rush, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield.

He had guys open in the first half. He made some accurate throws. However, for the most part he seemed like a) he didn't know where the rush was coming from and b) he didn't want to get hit. That all changed at halftime.

Truly though - maybe we should add a "not really" to the thread title. I doubt Steven reads Allbuffs, but you never know who else might.

He may have earned our frustration in the first half, but he earned back our support in the second.

I've said before I'll say it again - the true difference was his pocket presence, his awareness of the rush, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield.

He had guys open in the first half. He made some accurate throws. However, for the most part he seemed like a) he didn't know where the rush was coming from and b) he didn't want to get hit. That all changed at halftime.
Agree and I don't want to take that away from him. Reminds me of skiing when I was younger than 35, tentative until that first Wipeout, then banzai!

Obviously I’m glad he played better in the second half, and I’m glad in retrospect we didn’t bench him.

But we call balls and strikes as we see em. Would’ve been pissed if we kept going along the same trajectory and lost 34-0 with Monty at the helm. Based on what I was seeing, he wasn’t getting the job done. But there’s a reason I (and we of little faith in this thread) am not a college football coach at CU, and obviously they kept him in and knew/know things we don’t/didn’t. Good job team, this is why we don’t coach by mob rule!

This brings up a thought.

Had Montez continued as he did the outcome would have been ugly. HCMT knows that and I don't get the impression that he has any unreasonable allegiance to any player including Montez. If he didn't have a solid belief in Montez I think Montez would have been sitting.

What this shows is that MT has a good understanding of his team and a level of confidence that lets him make decisions that not only win games but build the confidence of his team.

This win over Nebraska and the way they won it isn't just a win. It should result in Montez and the entire team becoming better as individuals and as a team and building a belief in MT and his staff.

It was kind of funny though to read them repeat over and over how the fuskers were a better team despite losing both years then go on to list all the reasons they lost. "The ****ers are better but CU was better at this and this and this and this."
it's no coincidence that the Koolaid jug is a very specific shade of red....they live on that **** out there.

I thought I was being patient when everyone wanted him benched before half, staff gave him that last drive and he didn't do ****. I lost complete faith in him at halftime and was disconcerted that he came out again in the 2nd.

Massive credit to the coaches for having faith in their QB and seeing the path to victory. I did not.

SM is the #2 PAC12 QB...which is really #1 w an exemption for the Pirate’s team...I think I could pass for 400 yds a game in that system. 😉

I am calm, sorry I shook you up so badly it took you until today to respond. is lil jim family? Didn't realize we met before I'm bad about that kind of thing.

I'm sorry, didn't know there was a time limit on responding to internet tough guys. I'll try to be more prompt next time.

Back