What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bowl Games Thread

Watching the iconic Pinstripe Bowl, that wide angle looks like the camera is on the Empire State Building.

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but how the **** does Boise, ID get a bowl game in an outdoor stadium in December and a top tourist spot in the winter like Denver/Boulder doesn't have one? There is no reason to not have the "United Airlines Mile High Bowl" bringing in some extra money for CU or the Broncos, depending on which stadium might host.

The bowl in Boise and the bowl in Albuquerque were both created in response to local teams not getting invited to a bowl game when eligible.

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but how the **** does Boise, ID get a bowl game in an outdoor stadium in December and a top tourist spot in the winter like Denver/Boulder doesn't have one? There is no reason to not have the "United Airlines Mile High Bowl" bringing in some extra money for CU or the Broncos, depending on which stadium might host.

Just looking at the relative climates, I don't think there's much reason why it couldn't happen. Denver is slightly warmer than Boise during December, and while Denver averages more snowfall than Boise in December, it's pretty much negligible - 1.5 inches for the month.

Just looking at the relative climates, I don't think there's much reason why it couldn't happen. Denver is slightly warmer than Boise during December, and while Denver averages more snowfall than Boise in December, it's pretty much negligible - 1.5 inches for the month.
I just see bowl games already established in NYC, Tennessee (x2), Boise, Maryland, Albuquerque, and Detroit (dome stadium). Not to mention the Wyoming/BYU game played in San Diego in monsoon-like conditions.... This whole idea that Denver is the North Pole and can in no way be considered for a "big time" neutral site football game because of the weather is bull****.

I just see bowl games already established in NYC, Tennessee (x2), Boise, Maryland, Albuquerque, and Detroit (dome stadium). Not to mention the Wyoming/BYU game played in San Diego in monsoon-like conditions.... This whole idea that Denver is the North Pole and can in no way be considered for a "big time" neutral site football game because of the weather is bull****.

Would you attend the game?

It's a great idea. Except for the fact that if we add any more bowl games I'm going to throat punch the person nearest me and hunt down and murder Larry from the Dr. Pepper commercials.

Would you attend the game?
I guess it depends on the matchup. Honestly, I don't see why there can't be a bowl game on the "prestige" level as the Holiday Bowl, Sun Bowl, Music City Bowl, Citrus Bowl or something of that nature. Those would bring some decent matchups that I might find fun to go to. Regardless, Denver is a pretty good-sized market with fans from all over as residents, and is a destination spot for tourists in the winter.

I guess it depends on the matchup. Honestly, I don't see why there can't be a bowl game on the "prestige" level as the Holiday Bowl, Sun Bowl, Music City Bowl, Citrus Bowl or something of that nature. Those would bring some decent matchups that I might find fun to go to. Regardless, Denver is a pretty good-sized market with fans from all over as residents, and is a destination spot for tourists in the winter.

The only way it might come close to the prestige of those bowls is to essentially replace the Holiday or Alamo Bowl.

Otherwise, the bowl tie-ins will be similar to Boise. All the bowls you listed have solid histories, some even good histories.

The only way it might come close to the prestige of those bowls is to essentially replace the Holiday or Alamo Bowl.

Otherwise, the bowl tie-ins will be similar to Boise. All the bowls you listed have solid histories, some even good histories.

Holiday took a while to get going. It was the WAC champion's game for a long time and didn't have much prestige or payout.

The bowl game I think is going to take off is the Las Vegas Bowl once that new stadium is built. Could quickly vault into the #3 or even #2 position among the Pac-12 tie-ins. At the least, it will jump the Sun Bowl (current #4). El Paso can't compete with Las Vegas and the stadium doesn't compare either.

Holiday took a while to get going. It was the WAC champion's game for a long time and didn't have much prestige or payout.

The bowl game I think is going to take off is the Las Vegas Bowl once that new stadium is built. Could quickly vault into the #3 or even #2 position among the Pac-12 tie-ins. At the least, it will jump the Sun Bowl (current #4). El Paso can't compete with Las Vegas and the stadium doesn't compare either.
I guess my follow up question is, how do newer bowl games increase their standing among the bowl hierarchy? Is it a money issue being thrown at the tie-in conferences?

Maybe CSU can host a bowl in their new stadium and only land grant colleges/universities will be eligible, can call it the Aggie Bowl, would be a natural.

actually not a bad idea, really. Tie it into a charity and run it like the Cure Bowl in Orlando. WAC vs. MWC. Give rotary/lions/(insert civic leadership group here) clubs something to lead.

It would fill some hotels and resturants.

Then maybe the Broncos should partner with United Airlines (or some other huge company) to fork over the scratch for a #3 vs #3 tie-in game.

It would require significant buy-in from the City of Denver as well. Not saying it is a bad idea, but there are a lot of moving parts. And yeah, locals with no rooting interest would need to be buying tickets at a good clip every year.

It would require significant buy-in from the City of Denver as well. Not saying it is a bad idea, but there are a lot of moving parts. And yeah, locals with no rooting interest would need to be buying tickets at a good clip every year.

That federal grant awarded this year to help with improvement of that Sun Valley area south of Mile High makes this a lot more feasible in the future.

Hopefully we see some hotel projects there among other things that would deliver much-needed jobs and a better neighborhood.

Favorites are 2-15 ATS so far this bowl season, although Miami is probably going to make it 3-15.

Rooting for the Utes for conference rep.

And for Granny's Boys against the Crotch Grabbers ... just because, ya know ... Texass.

Back